What model next?

21Hemispheres12

Old Member
Hello all,

I just purchased my first PRS this year which was one of the reclaimed CE24. As these things go I've gotten the bug and now am looking at add another to my stable.

At first I was pretty set on a 594 but after playing one at the store I felt it didn't differ enough from the Les Paul I have to justiy having it along with the Les Paul. I know your first answer will be to ditch the Les Paul but I do really like this one and don't really want to let it go at this time.

However I did find a custom 24 in the exact color combination I was looking for and I'm contemplating picking that one up. My question is will having the CE24 and custom 24 also be redundant? My gut tells me no since the CE is a semi hollow and it has a maple neck but I wanted to see if anyone else has some good input on this subject.

The cu24 is a pretty versatile guitar. I don't think it'd be redundant.

I own neither a reclaimed CE nor a CU24.
That being said, I'd venture to guess they are far enough apart to make the CU24 a very different beast.
Go for it.

The CE 24 -- especially the reclaimed version with its semi-hollowness -- is a completely different guitar from most other PRSses, including the Custom 24 in a solidbody. I say, do it!

I'm with Sergio; the correct answer is yes, to any model. That said, there is plenty to differ the CE and the Cu. Do it!

I would say the CU24 should be nicely different, yet familiar enough with the same/similar trem and scale length and 24 frets.

Most CU24s come with mahogany neck, so that should offer a nice change from the CE24's maple neck. Just make sure the CU24 has a hog neck - some maple necks are out there.

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I think PRS just makes too many good models which makes it almost impossible to pick just one. With that being said I think I've finally narrowed down between the DGT and custom 22 triple soapbar at Dave's.

I like the idea of the custom 22 because it's completely different than anything else I have but I am concerned about the middle pickup getting in the way. Wish I could try them both out but you know how that is. Any feedback is appreciated!

I like the idea of the custom 22 because it's completely different than anything else I have but I am concerned about the middle pickup getting in the way. Wish I could try them both out but you know how that is. Any feedback is appreciated!

OK, I’ll give it to you straight: The CU22 Soapbar was one of Paul Smith’s best ideas, and one of the nicest sounding guitars I’ve ever owned (I like Soapbar pickups a whole lot).

My son liked the guitar so much that I gave it to him. I liked it so much that when he got into touring with something else ten years later, I bought it back from him. So, yeah, I paid for it twice... :eek:

I learned to pick between the neck pickup and the middle pickup and had no problems. Whether you can do this or not depends on how you pick your guitar. I sold it to buy a Private Stock, and don’t regret that, but the CU22 Soapbar is a favorite all-time PRS.

When PRS came out with a limited run 3 Pickup PS model for 2016, I bought that one, too. 3 pickups are only a problem if you make them a problem, as far as I’m concerned. ;)

OK, I’ll give it to you straight: The CU22 Soapbar was one of Paul Smith’s best ideas, and one of the nicest sounding guitars I’ve ever owned (I like Soapbar pickups a whole lot).

My son liked the guitar so much that I gave it to him. I liked it so much that when he got into touring with something else ten years later, I bought it back from him. So, yeah, I paid for it twice... :eek:

I learned to pick between the neck pickup and the middle pickup and had no problems. Whether you can do this or not depends on how you pick your guitar. I sold it to buy a Private Stock, and don’t regret that, but the CU22 Soapbar is a favorite all-time PRS.

When PRS came out with a limited run 3 Pickup PS model for 2016, I bought that one, too. 3 pickups are only a problem if you make them a problem, as far as I’m concerned. ;)

Thanks so much that's exactly what I was looking for. It's odd because there doesn't seem to be much online about them but whatever I do find is very positive.

I noticed at Dave's they have them with either a mahogany back or swamp ash. I'm assuming the swamp ash will be brighter but I suppose I'll have to give them a call about that. All these choices are almost overwhelming!

Thanks so much that's exactly what I was looking for. It's odd because there doesn't seem to be much online about them but whatever I do find is very positive.

I noticed at Dave's they have them with either a mahogany back or swamp ash. I'm assuming the swamp ash will be brighter but I suppose I'll have to give them a call about that. All these choices are almost overwhelming!

Yes, it’s hard to decide! Mine was mahogany back, maple neck and fretboard. I also tried one with a rosewood fretboard. That was a difficult decision! They both sounded great. I wound up with the maple fretboard simply because I didn’t have anything else with a maple fretboard.

In my experience, Swamp Ash isn’t brighter, it just resonates a little differently than mahogany.

Hopefully you have experience with Soapbar pickups. I love them. If you’re not experienced using them, they can be a little noisy in rooms with dimmers and lots of EMI/RFI. The trick is that there’s always a direction you can face where the noise isn’t there.

The great thing about soapbars that makes everything worth the small amount of effort is that they have tons of clarity, sparkle and snap being single coils, but are much higher output than most single coils (that’s why the noise is louder, of course). Anyway, they drive an amp like humbuckers, yet they still have a crystal clarity.

Currently I have a 594 with Soapbars.

I forgot to mention that the CU22 Soapy has that cool, phasy “Quack” in the #2 switch position between middle and bridge pickup, that you can only get with a 3 pickup guitar.

Last edited:
Back