What is your preferred string gauge and do you feel gauge impacts tone?

What is your preferred string gauge

• 7s

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 8s

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 9s

Votes: 20 31.7%
  • 10s

Votes: 39 61.9%
  • 11s

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • 12s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 13s

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Texas_minor_blues

Rosewood or Bust
I have been thinking about posting this for a while to get some feedback from the collective knowledge base here. What is your preferred string gauge and also do you feel gauge impacts tone? I know guys like Billy Gibbons use 7s and have tone for days. On the other hand David Grissom goes for 11s on his DGTs and SRV was known to throw 12s and I think I even read that he slapped some 13s on a guitar once. Again all 3 guys have tone for days. With Gibbons, my perception is that he is an major outlier, again just my perception. I know for me I feel most comfortable and find the tone most pleasing when I use 11s and have been using them exclusively since around 2008. Typically when I hit up guitar shops and feel the 10s on the guitars I feel a difference but not as bad as when I grab a guitar with 9s (this has led to many a broken string haha). Anyways what are you thoughts ?

I've tried all kinds of strings over the years. Something is wrong with me and I just have to try different stuff. I had 13's on a Les Paul once and I've also tried the Billy Gibbons set of 7's. Owned 2 DGT's and ran the stock 11's each time. In my not so scientific experience, I'd say there are definitely differences in tone but nothing you can't easily correct with the basic Treble, Mid and Bass knobs on an amp. I can say that some of these crazy gauges will make you play differently. Throw a set of 7's on and you'll see what I mean.

For me it really comes down to feel and longevity of strings rather than the tone (unless we're talking about Pure Nickle type strings). I've mainly settled on a set of balanced 10's from Stringjoy as I just prefer the way they feel and they seem to last for a while. Plus, I've never yet found a set of strings that can make me sound like Grissom, or Billy G, SRV or Eddie or well, heck any really good player :)

Over the years I've developed a theory that the more gain you add, the less difference the gear makes. Gain seems to act like a sliding scale - play clean and the wood, pickups strings all contribute. Dime the amp and, well enjoy the gain :)

I continue to go lighter and lighter. I'm on 9's. I have a set of Rev. Willy's 7/38's that I was going to have a luthier put on the last time I changed strings. He told me he had never put them on a guitar before. Not because he said that, but I changed my mind about trying them. Maybe I will the next time I change strings on a guitar.

the product description on Dunlop's page says "developed in collaboration with Billy Gibbons"
=============
edit: @nac I was typing this as you posted. I guess I'll have to try the Rev. Willy's!

I was using the PRS 9.5s for a long time, then tried a different brand 9-46 and found them to be a bit smoother and easier to bend. On my drop D guitar, I use 10-52, I like the heavier bottom strings, but the tradeoff is the larger high strings.
There is an interesting video by Rick Beato (just search "Does string gauge matter" on the tube) that demos different string gauges and how they sound different.
Side note, I tried Billy Gibbons 7s just cause, way too easy to bend.

I’ve been on the 10-46 set on my electrics for 15 years or so, but am considering 9.5s or a return to the 9 set I used for the first few decades of playing, just to be a little kinder to my over-60 hands and fingers.

Anything that affects your playing will affect your tone, because tone doesn’t just come from the string. Strings aren’t all of that, of course, but they’re a part. So, in some way, string gauge affects what comes out of your guitar. How much, and if it even matters, is a good point for forum banter, but has little real consequence in the actual making music rather than debating it. That’s my opinion, anyway.

BTW, I use 11s on my Taylor T5s and 12s on my regular acoustics, if that counts.

Last edited:
I used to use 9s years ago. I switched to 10s quite a long time ago. I have some guitars that I have used 11s on but mostly because I had them tuned down. IMHO, there isn't a lot of difference in tone. If you adjust the setup according to the strings it sounds pretty much the same. It can have a big effect on how the guitar feels. That to me is where it gets significant. If the guitar plays easier for you, you will probably play better. That may have an effect on your tone. You may attack the strings a little differently or your vibrato may change a bit due to difference in string gauge.

I find the lighter strings to be more chimey and heavier to have more punch and heft. And I like both.

10's on the solidbodies, but on my HB's they all have various gauges.
HB Spruce - 10's
HBII - 11's with wound G
AT IV 11's with plain G
AT II - 12's with wound G etc etc etc

Generally 10-46, My playing is heavily influenced by McLaughlin and I like the feedback that they give from picking. (I use Blue chip jazz 60 picks) I periodically use 9-42 or 11s. I find I play very differently depending on string gauge, it very much effects the quality of my vibrato. In short my left hand likes 9s my picking hand 11s... LOL

I recently tried the 9.5's after playing 10's forever , that subtle change makes playing easier and no sacrifice in tone . Both the classic and the newer Signature sets.

7s and the tone is the same as 10s once I adjusted my technique to accomodate for the difference.

OP you didn't list ranges only the top string.

On the SE's I stick with PRS 9-42 and all others 9-46. Not much string tone difference to my ears and lets the guitar voice out :)

I used to play 11-52 And that was a cool gauge but it was hard work. I'd like to try the Rev Willie gauge and feel they would not last long durability-wise.

Back