What is your preferred string gauge and do you feel gauge impacts tone?

What is your preferred string gauge

• 7s

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 8s

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 9s

Votes: 20 31.7%
  • 10s

Votes: 39 61.9%
  • 11s

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • 12s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 13s

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Someone mentioned materials used, and I agree, metal formulations are pretty darn important.

I prefer the warmer tone of pure nickel strings, but the different brands all sound different, too!

If you hate changing strings until you absolutely need to (whether out of sheer embarrassment, or clients breathing down your neck - guilty as charged, your honor!), experimentation can feel like a PITA. But it's necessary until you find Your Preferred Thing.

Currently, My Preferred Thing is Sono-Tone pure nickel vintage strings, because they sound a tiny bit brighter than most pure nickel strings. But after all, what does 'Pure Nickel' mean, really? They're all formulations! There's nickel plate, and pure nickel, but even pure nickel ain't 100% nickel, and then there's the core geometry to contend with.

I guess that's why a personal tryout is required. As an aside, I absolutely do not advocate that anyone else on this f#cked-up earth agree with my choices in string gauge, materials, or geometry.

I'll be me, you be you. Live, and let live.

Another variable is a string's core shape; there are several kinds, and they all sound and feel a little different. As is the case with finding the right string gauge, one simply has to experiment with materials and geometries until the right thing happens by some miracle of good luck to appear on your guitar.

Once that happens, I dunno about you...I stop looking, because...why screw around with happiness? Oh, there's a different shiny object on the horizon and you want to go for it?

Be my guest, sir or madam. It's a only a few buckst. Cheap thrills!

There are expensive thrills - new guitars or amps - but new strings might be the cheapest thrills a guitar player can have, short of groupies.

"Do you still get groupies, Les?"

"We call them 'Grandma Fans' these days, my friend. Life is a very, very short ride. Yesterday you were all hot and bothered just viddy-ing these very same women. Today, well...being with them is a charitable contribution on your part, as well as on her part. She feels just as sorry for you as you do for her. It's not a perfect outcome, but such is life on this planet. However, there's an upside."

"What's the upside?"

"You're. Not. Even. Tempted. Nor. Is. She."

Last edited:
IMHO, there is a piece missing from this conversation.

Do you use a thicker or thinner pick for different string gauges?

I use a Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm pick for pretty much everything. I notice more of a difference in tone by going to a lighter pick than I do from going up or down one gauge of string.
I agree. A pick makes a lot of difference in tone. Even playing with the tip of the pick or gripping it backwards and using the backside of the same pick changes the sound quite a lot.

Play with what allows you to play longer and with control is what I say.
Tone wise a good amp can make up for any difference between string gauges.
your tuning will be a bigger issue if you can't adapt the lighter pressure needed.
I use 10-46 on 25" and shorter
9.5 -44 on 25 1/4 and up

I agree. A pick makes a lot of difference in tone. Even playing with the tip of the pick or gripping it backwards and using the backside of the same pick changes the sound quite a lot.
Agreed it makes a difference a most always use a pick backward

Back