What is the correct US PRS model for me?

parek

Hi,

I own a ZM SE model, but out of pure vanity, I want to get my self a US made PRS that has similar features. Not exactly, but close. I am looking for a second hand guitar and because there are trillion different models, I'm hoping you can help me out. These are the features that I love in my ZM and if possible, I'd like to have these features in the next guitar as well:

-it's very lightweight
-wide-fat neck is perfect
-24.5" scale length feels excellent. Previously I have played only 25.5" guitars and the shorter scale makes fingering much easier for me. I have tried a couple of times 25" scale PRS, but I really don't remember how did the scale feel in my hands.
-I like the acoustic sound of ZM. I can practice late in evening and hear myself good enough. Sounds much better than solid body guitars.
-I like the 2 vols + 2 tones, but definitely could live with single vol and tone

I don't need birds and ten tops. I like the style of some simple McCarty models. No bells and whistless, no batteries, no piezoz etc. I have no experience in pattern necks and therefore I have ruled out all guitars which are not with wide-fat neck carve. I wish I had the chance to try out a pattern neck.

What are my options if I want to have a US made PRS with 24.5" scale? Have any of the Hollowbody models ever been made with the shorter scale?

Thanks if you have any comments or ideas what should I look for.

Sounds like you want to track down a McCarty DC245 or a Starla Stoptail model to me... The latter will be lighter, having a thinner body.

Pattern is essentially wide fat. All of the measurements are the same.
http://prsguitars.com/csc/neckprofiles.html
"Perfected after years of prototyping, the new "Pattern" neck is an updated Wide Fat PRS neck style based on Paul’s pre-factory design. These necks were found on the instruments built for Carlos Santana, Peter Frampton and Howard Leese from the late 70’s to the mid 80’s."

The P245 semihollow sounds like an option.

You may want to look for an S2 semi-hollow something, because I haven't seen too many core semi-hollows on the used market. But that's what will satisfy two of the conditions -- can play acoustically without plugging in and lightweight.

Thanks for comments so far.

P245 looks excellent, but it has piezo (definitely don't need it) and the price is too high at the moment. I'd rather have guitar with no features that I don't need. Lightweight SC245 could be also nice. And I will definitely keep my eyes open for McCarty's with short scale.

And I need to try out 25" scale PRS as well. If I like it, that would give me option for all the hollowbodies etc.

I am located in euro area, so that gives one extra challenge. Very difficult to find good used PRS dealers here (countries within Euro zone).

Last edited:
Regarding necks:

The names for the new neck profiles is a little unsettling for me. Pattern Thin (= Wide Thin) I'm OK with, but Pattern (= Wide Fat) vs Pattern Regular (= Regular) sounds like confusion waiting to happen. Pattern should have been called Pattern Fat, for consistency... Just thought I'd mention that so you can be sure what you are getting/testing.

I would suggest you find a PRS with 25" scale to try - you might like it which will broaden your selection, but even if you don't at least you won't wonder...

There have been a few 24.5" scale models that are no longer in production, which means by definition you will be looking at used.

But the SC 245 is most certainly the closest non-piezo guitar in the current line-up.

But don't let the piezo in a P245 Semi-hollow throw you off, you can simply ignore it - although the feature may add a bit to the official price, street-wise you may not find such a differential. I got my P24 for less than typical CU24 pricing... (And that ends my discussion of pricing, to avoid incurring any wrath-of-the-mods.)

Hi,

-it's very lightweight
-wide-fat neck is perfect
-24.5" scale length feels excellent. Previously I have played only 25.5" guitars and the shorter scale makes fingering much easier for me. I have tried a couple of times 25" scale PRS, but I really don't remember how did the scale feel in my hands.
-I like the acoustic sound of ZM. I can practice late in evening and hear myself good enough. Sounds much better than solid body guitars.
-I like the 2 vols + 2 tones, but definitely could live with single vol and tone

I don't need birds and ten tops. I like the style of some simple McCarty models. No bells and whistless, no batteries, no piezoz etc. I have no experience in pattern necks and therefore I have ruled out all guitars which are not with wide-fat neck carve. I wish I had the chance to try out a pattern neck.

Why not consider a used HB I - It has most of what you are looking for & is great for playing without an amp late at night (or early AM - as is my case). It is the lightest guitar I have ever owned. No piezo. I am pretty sure the neck is wide fat, maybe others will know for sure. It is certainly not thin.

Just my experience. I have played several 25" and 24.5" scale length PRS. I could tell a difference, and personally prefer the 24.5. I own both Pattern and Wide Fat neck PRS guitars. I believe that the measurements indicate they are different, but i can't feel a difference. Pattern Regular is a different story for me. I am not in love with the closer string spacing. Just my $0.02 for reference.

Why not consider a used HB I - It has most of what you are looking for & is great for playing without an amp late at night (or early AM - as is my case). It is the lightest guitar I have ever owned. No piezo. I am pretty sure the neck is wide fat, maybe others will know for sure. It is certainly not thin.

Definitely! That was the guitar that got me into the idea of getting myself a PRS. I tried one for a very brief moment one year ago...I mean, I tried one for max 30 seconds and I was sold :)

Back