What is on your pedal board

Here is my latest effort, a pared down version on a pedaltrain nano plus board. I have gone all in line 6 right now.

Tuner > compressor > HX stomp > ditto looper > powercab

The HX has all the Helix amp models and effects but can do 6 things at once rather than something more spectacular, but its more than enough for me.

o6dy52.png

Last edited:
If you haven't seen this one yet, check out Josh Smith's new board run through, for the geekery

This is my most recent FX board, the MC404 CAE acquired this week. Signal path = Guitar In > Empress Buffer (Loop Out) > MC404 CAE Wah >> Iguana Tail Loopswitcher > (Tuner Out) Polytune Noir > (Loop 1) Wampler Ego Compressor > (Loop 2) J Rockett Blue Note Overdrive > (Loop 3) Decibelics Golden Horse (Mini-Klon) Boost/Overdrive > (Loop 4) TC Electronic Sentry Noise Gate > (Loop 5) Neunaber Immerse v. 1 Reverb/Delay >> Iguana Tail (Out) > Empress Buffer (Loop In) > Amp.

Power supplies are T Rex Classic & Voodoo Lab Digital. Wiring courtesy of LavaCable solder-less Tightrope cables and connectors, guitar/amp cables: Mogami Gold.

EDIT: The reverse side is displayed because I thought to show you folks what cable wrap can do for the usual disorganized wiring under the board. (Completed this 03/14/19; hopefully won't need disassemble anytime soon...:oops:)

Note the lower pic of the Wah. Normally, the business (StageTrix) who builds the wah fasteners were backordered until late May, so necessity was the mother of invention...just used some ⅜" ply and velcro, jigsaw and drill. Tricky part was trying to line up the ¾" x 6/32" machine screws with the wah screw holes...took a few tries, but completed the task...

3IQFPFb.jpg

qiyybuK.jpg

DVLa4Z6.jpg

Last edited:
This is my most recent FX board, the MC404 CAE acquired this week. Signal path = Guitar In > Empress Buffer (Loop Out) > Ego Compressor > MC404 CAE Wah >> Iguana Tail Loopswitcher > (Tuner Out) Polytune Noir > (Loop 1) J Rockett Blue Note Overdrive > (Loop 2) Decibelics Golden Horse (Mini-Klon) Boost/Overdrive > (Loop 3) TC Electronic Sentry Noise Gate > (Loop 4) Keeley Dynatrem Harmonic Tremolo > (Loop 5) Neunaber Immerse v. 1 Reverb/Delay >> Iguana Tail (Out) > Empress Buffer (Loop In) > Amp.

Note the lower pic of the Wah. Normally, the business (StageTrix) who builds the wah fasteners were backordered until late May, so necessity was the mother of invention...just used some ⅜" ply and velcro, jigsaw and drill. Tricky part was trying to line up the ¾" x 6/32" machine screws with the wah screw holes...took a few tries, but completed the task...

iYUMFV7.jpg

zfWYgNp.jpg

Great board!

I’m dabbling with the idea of a control switch on my board.

Ingenious idea with the ply. I just unscrewed the rubber from my Dunlop Wah, put them in a coin bag and popped them in the battery compartment for safe keeping. Then put the screws back in the base and stuck a strip of Velcro down the centre of the pedal.

This is why I love this forum, there’s so many good ideas shared. Thanks.

After discovering That Pedal Show on youtube a few months ago I've rekindled an interest in effects pedals. I've gone through a few Klon clones recently. I started with a secondhand RYRA Klone from ebay, that one sounded fantastic, but it wasn't operating correctly - It was always on, couldn't bypass it properly. So I sent that one back and bought a new RYRA klone to replace it, however, it never seemed as good as the one that I sent back, I just couldn't dial it in where I was completely happy. Seemed to be both boomy on the bass and shrill on the top end at the same time. Not bad I must say, but just not magical like that first one. I did have a look in the back and noticed that the resistors and capacitors had changed brands between the two versions. Doesn't necessarily mean anything though.
So, in the meantime, I discovered the Ceriatone Centura. I thought I'd buy the kit to save a bit of money and bypass the waiting list, then up pops a nearly new one on ebay, in the finish that I wanted, in the UK, all made and ready to go, at a price that I couldn't even get the kit shipped over for, so I jumped on it. And wow, back to magic missing from that second RYRA. Not boomy, not shrill, easy to dial in and sounds good through all the various settings. The RYRA went straight up on ebay.

I'm also building my own pedals as I just can't afford to keep buying the genuine article, plus it's quite good fun. I've built a King of Tone clone (with the correct 'special' diodes) and have just finished one based on Run Off Groove's Omega treble booster. Next up is a clone of a Skreddy P19 fuzz/overdrive.

I'm just curious how many people here are using EQ pedals with small tube amps. I only have one amp, mostly because of space and because I only have 2 electric guitars that share time equally with 2 acoustics that never get plugged in.

I had no idea what voicing I was after in a tube amp but I like the clean channel to sound clear as a bell. The Orange Rocker 15 had a separate clean channel that beat everything else in its class including some hand wired Fenders and Vox at twice the cost.

Somewhere in the pre purchase discussion on tube amp tones it was suggested that instead of getting a separate amp for every tone worth chasing I could just use a parametric EQ pedal and shape the voice of my Orange like a Marshall, Fender, Vox, or any other valve amp.

It works very well once you play with it enough to figure out how to dial everything in. I was just wondering how many others here have played around with EQ pedals to shape the voicing rather than buying a Marshall for Marshall tones, a Fender for Fender tones, a Vox for Vox tones, etc.

Great board!

I’m dabbling with the idea of a control switch on my board.

Ingenious idea with the ply. I just unscrewed the rubber from my Dunlop Wah, put them in a coin bag and popped them in the battery compartment for safe keeping. Then put the screws back in the base and stuck a strip of Velcro down the centre of the pedal.

This is why I love this forum, there’s so many good ideas shared. Thanks.

Thanks, but StageTrix had the market cornered regards the wah fastener concept long before I tried this...the rubber feet were easy to unscrew and now are kept in a small pick bag along with the original carton, paperwork, etc.

You'll likely find the most difficult part is trying to line up the screw holes under the metal wah plate...it took a good 40 minutes for me to accomplish this, even though I used the backplate as a template guide for drawing out the ply cut-outs.

You'll likely need a sheet of 2'x2' - ⅜" ply and 4x (¾" x 6/32") or (⅝" x 6/32") metal screws, the screw length dependent on how tall the backplate sits above the chassis. I used Philip's head tapered non-pointed screws so it was possible to countersink the wood screw holes after the velcro had been applied. Pan head screws likely won't work; your local hardware store will usually provide a selection of metal screws that will work appropriately.

I've tried removing the rubber feet and re-attaching the screws also, but that usually means gluing velcro directly to the backplate. Regards resale value, some folks prefer their used effects with as little cosmetic issues as a possible, hence the 'velcro ply.' (Didn't ZZ Top do that song on Back to the Future II or something...?)

I'm just curious how many people here are using EQ pedals with small tube amps. I only have one amp, mostly because of space and because I only have 2 electric guitars that share time equally with 2 acoustics that never get plugged in...

...It works very well once you play with it enough to figure out how to dial everything in. I was just wondering how many others here have played around with EQ pedals to shape the voicing rather than buying a Marshall for Marshall tones, a Fender for Fender tones, a Vox for Vox tones, etc.

I used to own a Mooer Mini Graphic-EQ for tone shaping, until I realized that most of my desired tones could be accomplished with what already existed on my board. I usually prefer smoother overdrive with mild coloration towards thicker, slightly 'beefier' tones, but don't dig crunchy overdrives or distortion. My prefs also are towards Fender-ish 6L6 type amps, so also the reason for not needing an EQ for shaping Marshall or Vox-like tones...

Last edited:
After discovering That Pedal Show on youtube a few months ago I've rekindled an interest in effects pedals. I've gone through a few Klon clones recently. I started with a secondhand RYRA Klone from ebay, that one sounded fantastic, but it wasn't operating correctly - It was always on, couldn't bypass it properly. So I sent that one back and bought a new RYRA klone to replace it, however, it never seemed as good as the one that I sent back, I just couldn't dial it in where I was completely happy. Seemed to be both boomy on the bass and shrill on the top end at the same time. Not bad I must say, but just not magical like that first one. I did have a look in the back and noticed that the resistors and capacitors had changed brands between the two versions. Doesn't necessarily mean anything though.
So, in the meantime, I discovered the Ceriatone Centura. I thought I'd buy the kit to save a bit of money and bypass the waiting list, then up pops a nearly new one on ebay, in the finish that I wanted, in the UK, all made and ready to go, at a price that I couldn't even get the kit shipped over for, so I jumped on it. And wow, back to magic missing from that second RYRA. Not boomy, not shrill, easy to dial in and sounds good through all the various settings. The RYRA went straight up on ebay.

I'm also building my own pedals as I just can't afford to keep buying the genuine article, plus it's quite good fun. I've built a King of Tone clone (with the correct 'special' diodes) and have just finished one based on Run Off Groove's Omega treble booster. Next up is a clone of a Skreddy P19 fuzz/overdrive.

This is what I found online after several months of research into Klon clones. Enjoy. Hand-built, mini-enclosure, signed to you and numerically numbered. IIRC, $220 recently as of a year ago...

Somewhere in the pre purchase discussion on tube amp tones it was suggested that instead of getting a separate amp for every tone worth chasing I could just use a parametric EQ pedal and shape the voice of my Orange like a Marshall, Fender, Vox, or any other valve amp.

Could have been me who suggested it; I use two different EQs for various purposes, and they work phenomenally well. The main EQ on my board is the Pettyjohn Filter. It’s a beautiful and musical EQ that I use to shape most of my sounds. The other is the EQ algorithm on the Eventide H9; it gets used for more radical tone shaping (something I only occasionally need to do).

I used to own a Mooer Mini-EQ for tone shaping, until I realized that most of my desired tones could be accomplished with what already existed on my board. I usually prefer smoother overdrive with mild coloration towards thicker, slightly 'beefier' tones, but don't dig crunchy overdrives or distortion. My prefs also are towards Fender-ish 6L6 type amps, so also the reason for not needing an EQ for shaping Marshall or Vox-like tones...

I'm not chasing other amp tones myself, but it's nice to shape my own sound and gives me a lot of flexibility using a single amp that I wouldn't have without it. I'm still pretty new to effects and pedals but so far what I like is using just enough to sculpt but not distort things out of shape.

I play mostly on the clean side with very little distortion. I have it set up so I can use the volume knobs on my guitar to shift into overdrive if I want. I really like those clear chimey bell like tones when using time delay and modulation. I've always admired sweet, smooth, and pretty when it comes to guitar and that's what I try to emulate.

The one exception is fuzz. If I'm gonna get dirty I like full on raunch and it doesn't get any better than a good fuzz pedal pushing the amp to break up. Not what I'm doing most of the time tho because it only sounds really good when it's loud AF :)

Last edited:
I'm not chasing other amp tones myself, but it's nice to shape my own sound and gives me a lot of flexibility using a single amp that I wouldn't have without it. I'm still pretty new to effects and pedals but so far what I like is using just enough to sculpt but not distort things out of shape.

I play mostly on the clean side with very little distortion. I have it set up so I can use the volume knobs on my guitar to shift into overdrive if I want. I really like those clear chimey bell like tones when using time delay and modulation. I've always admired sweet, smooth, and pretty when it comes to guitar and that's what I try to emulate.

The one exception is fuzz. If I'm gonna get dirty I like full on raunch and it doesn't get any better than a good fuzz pedal pushing the amp to break up. Not what I'm doing most of the time tho because it only sounds really good when it's loud AF :)

GP,

Mostly the same here. Had chosen to use an amp combo rather than a head/cab simply because my preference was a single-channel amp, and there weren't that many affordable boutique amps that didn't have at least 2 channels. Obviously, Bad Cat, Carr & Victoria amps, yes, but nothing closer to my price range than my Brunetti 35W Singleman.

Am kind of a luddite regards my preferred tone, but folks when they hear it, agree the Brunetti covers the bases well. Not looking for Vox or Marshall tones, just a clean platform with which to build pedals on. Mostly a low-gain overdrive and boost/overdrive, something that has violin-like singing leads. I've not moved towards anything with distortion or fuzz simply because even with the Sentry Noise Gate, stacking too much together introduces noise into the circuit. Am not a fan of noisy effects.

However, my guitar knob serves to dig in or clean up...am not the type of guy who pushes things into the red, anyway, so there is that. If you can't hear the difference, you're doing something wrong. Other than that, I think I've got my tone covered. My preference is to keep my levels respectable so others have a chance to be heard; not my wish to stand out as a obvious player.

and what the hay happened to guitpicky? way of the dodo?

GP,

Mostly the same here. Had chosen to use an amp combo rather than a head/cab simply because my preference was a single-channel amp, and there weren't that many affordable boutique amps that didn't have at least 2 channels. Obviously, Bad Cat, Carr & Victoria amps, yes, but nothing closer to my price range than my Brunetti 35W Singleman.

Am kind of a luddite regards my preferred tone, but folks when they hear it, agree the Brunetti covers the bases well. Not looking for Vox or Marshall tones, just a clean platform with which to build pedals on. Mostly a low-gain overdrive and boost/overdrive, something that has violin-like singing leads. I've not moved towards anything with distortion or fuzz simply because even with the Sentry Noise Gate, stacking too much together introduces noise into the circuit. Am not a fan of noisy effects.

However, my guitar knob serves to dig in or clean up...am not the type of guy who pushes things into the red, anyway, so there is that. If you can't hear the difference, you're doing something wrong. Other than that, I think I've got my tone covered. My preference is to keep my levels respectable so others have a chance to be heard; not my wish to stand out as a obvious player.

and what the hay happened to guitpicky? way of the dodo?

Not sure, GP may be just lurking in other guitar forums. I didn't think it was a matter of him just "showing up", but that seems to be what is expected in this world if we still have life and are breathing. If GP has found other places to dwell online, so be it for the time. I can't get too worked up over nothing...my feeling is that he's taking his time and doing other real world things...

If you haven't seen this one yet, check out Josh Smith's new board run through, for the geekery
Josh Smith about the same time had a Live Lesson on TrueFire. Lots a geekery in this as well. And he is one monster guitarist.

Of course, I had to stick this in. I met both Josh and Kirk Fletcher on the Keeping The Blues Alive At Sea Cruise earlier this year. Both great guys.
IMG_2200-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
Back