What guitarist would you most like to emulate?

frankb56

I know there are many great guitarists out there. The usual come to mind like Clapton, Santana, Page, Beck. For me, I just can't stop listening to Pat Metheny. I just picked up his two disc Orchestration CD and I am just blown away by his creativeness. I saw him do this show last year at CW Post in Long Island. If you have never seen what he does do yourself a favor and check it out on youtube. In essence, he controls a whole load of external sounds from various instruments, percussion, etc. through his guitar. He also has a DVD out. I wish I could play one chord as well as he does.

images

I would have to pick Guthrie Govan. To be so well versed in so many different styles is just amazing.

I get to be the first one to invoke the name David Gilmour. Cool! :)

Today it's Tosin Abasi from Animals As Leaders. PRS needs to make this guy an 8.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know there are many great guitarists out there. The usual come to mind like Clapton, Santana, Page, Beck. For me, I just can't stop listening to Pat Metheny. I just picked up his two disc Orchestration CD and I am just blown away by his creativeness. I saw him do this show last year at CW Post in Long Island. If you have never seen what he does do yourself a favor and check it out on youtube. In essence, he controls a whole load of external sounds from various instruments, percussion, etc. through his guitar. He also has a DVD out. I wish I could play one chord as well as he does.

images

Yeah! Metheny rules, man...

Another one that got me out of the rock sphere and broaden my views on guitar playing was Joe Pass... He made me buy my first jazzbox some 20 yrs ago.

And or course, we can't forget Django...

I don't like playing anyone else's licks or material, but there are guitarists whose creativity and melodic sense I find really inspiring:

I'll be another one to say that David Gilmour is an inspiration. He's melodic, his work simply flows, and it's uniquely suited to his songs.

For textures, I love The Edge. I won't go as far as to say he's invented a whole style of playing, but he's certainly refined it in a good way.

As for trad blues playing, I really still dig Clapton.

How about Al DiMeola? DiMeola is like the Stevie Vai of Jazz. And speaking of Vai, .....How can I forget Joe Satriani!

Honestly, I don't ever think of trying to sound like anybody else; I just want to get closer to the sounds and tones I hear in my heart and mind. There are a number of players that I really enjoy listening to, but I never think to myself 'I wish I could sound like that.'

Goldtop Lloyd

I have a long list of influences... but I want to sound like Warren Haynes! I'm learning a lot of his stuff right now and love the feeling in his playing.

I don't want to emulate anybody else, I DO want to have a little bit of talent from everybody's tines in this thread!

Back