Let me know your thoughts.....

Steve's addiction

Watched a doc on Jeff Beck recently and one comment made by (I think) Jimmy Page, really stood out. He said he saw ap player do his thing on his equipment and then Jeff took the same guitar and amp and Jimmy said he sounded so much better it was amazing. So with that being said does the prove it's the player not the equipment,both, or are certain players just so far out there they could sound great on a shoe box. I also found it interesting that Eric Clapton wanted to quit playing after hearing Jeff.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Jeff Beck played any of my guitars with any of my gear and sounded better. Some of it is in the fingers, their touch and way they fret notes, their composition and what they put into playing can make a huge difference. Some people seem to get a lot more out of a guitar than others and hence a lot of people will say tone is in the fingers.

Some people can make a cheap guitar and gear sound so much better than others manage with expensive guitars and gear. I do think a lot of it is down to the player but a great player with great and expensive gear will sound better than playing on cheap gear.

Watched a doc on Jeff Beck recently and one comment made by (I think) Jimmy Page, really stood out. He said he saw ap player do his thing on his equipment and then Jeff took the same guitar and amp and Jimmy said he sounded so much better it was amazing. So with that being said does the prove it's the player not the equipment,both, or are certain players just so far out there they could sound great on a shoe box. I also found it interesting that Eric Clapton wanted to quit playing after hearing Jeff.

That's why I quit golf. Had the best tools but the the pros could hit better w a toothpick!!!

I agree Beck is a virtuoso, but I tire of his music quickly. Just not my cup of tea. Not really on topic but I thought I'd throw that out there. He is also a master of the vibrato but again, I tire of off pitch notes easily.

More to the point, yes a great player can make a toy sound like a real instrument, and a quality instrument sound spectacular. The opposite is also true, a lousy player can make the best of instruments sound like crap!

I agree Beck is a virtuoso, but I tire of his music quickly. Just not my cup of tea. Not really on topic but I thought I'd throw that out there. He is also a master of the vibrato but again, I tire of off pitch notes easily.

More to the point, yes a great player can make a toy sound like a real instrument, and a quality instrument sound spectacular. The opposite is also true, a lousy player can make the best of instruments sound like crap!

Describes my level of expertise exactly (the latter not the former).

I'd hazard to say that folks who have their own signature style (Beck, Page, Clapton) have worked at what they do for many many years, and truthfully, it's kind of like riding a bike to them. They know how to get onto the bike, begin pedaling, increase/decrease speed, shift gears, carve turns, and stop on a dime. They essentially are able to "travel" where they need to.

I'd also hazard to say that many of us are still using our training wheels and would love to do away with them, but in truth, still can't find the balance we need without them.

Years ago - I was abut 16 - I had a Sears Roebuck electric - piece of crap. A friend of mine who was already a talented guitarist at the age came over my house, grabbed it and played the intro to "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes". Its the player, not the guitar.

Big Jeff Beck fan. Seen him live 6 times and he always leaves me shaking my head and grinning from ear to ear. He is a master at what he does.

Great responses guys. I totally agree its not what you play, its how you play it. One I thought was cool was even though he is such a virtuoso, he doesn't hesitate to bust a knuckle working on csrs.

Jeff Beck, like all serious guitar players, cares about how he sounds, and has gear that satisfies his ear.

The fact that the man plays better than mere mortals doesn’t change the fact that he has gear that helps him achieve the sounds he wants.

It’s both how you play, and what you play. There’s no logical reason to separate them and choose between the two concepts. No matter how well you play, you still need an instrument to make the sound happen, and some instruments will inspire while others won’t.

Just the way it is.

To underscore this, the man has a collection of vintage guitars that most players would be pretty excited about, and his amps include some boutique stuff like the Lazy J, the new Magnatones, etc.

So don’t think for a second that the gear doesn’t matter. It’s similar with virtuoso concert violinists; they’ll go as far as mortgaging a classic instrument that often costs more than their house, assuming they’re not lucky enough to be “loaned” one for life from a collector or foundation.

There’s a reason for this. There’s a reason Jeff Beck has classic 50s Fenders and Les Pauls, among others. Sure he can sound good on anything; but he chooses to sound great on great instruments.

Last edited:
Good points Les.

We guitar players are an odd bunch!

We spend all this time and energy playing gobs of guitars, amps, and effects looking for our best tone, scrutinize videos for days and days on end, then we get the stuff,and turn around and insist, “Ahhh, it doesn’t matter what you play, it’s all in the hands.”

There’s kind of a disconnect there!

We spend all this time and energy playing gobs of guitars, amps, and effects looking for our best tone, scrutinize videos for days and days on end, then we get the stuff,and turn around and insist, “Ahhh, it doesn’t matter what you play, it’s all in the hands.”

Mad skills and rad toys are both great fun but toys are easier to acquire :)

Well, some people spend time and energy on jewelry and shoes when it’s all in the walk so I call it human nature.

I'm glad I asked. Folks on here are so good to bounce thoughts and ideas. It changes my perspective of my own playing

Back