What equipment do you use playing backing track?

Hey Les,

Both, i suppose, but I was looking for backing tracks for practicing. Headphone into a computor or amp.

For silent practicing without backing tracks, I just use my amps with a Mesa Cab Clone that has a headphone jack. With that I use headphones that have their own built in amplifier made by Blue. The output level of the Cab Clone for headphones depends on the amp setting, so to avoid that issue altogether, I use the Blue headphones - they're very good cans by the way, I also use them for studio work and travel.

I've also plugged it into a computer interface and gone that route when I want to practice with backing tracks - however I create my own backing tracks in Logic or Digital Performer. I use a Universal Audio Apollo interface, which is a good one, but there are a lot of choices on the market in every price range.

Any computer DAW will get you there, you simply need an interface for your guitar input and headphones.

Another thing to consider is software. If you want to dial in some tones of your own you might consider software like Guitar Rig or one of the many other amp/cab/effect simulators.

You might also be interested in something like Guitar Pro which will let you create and/or play back sheet music or tabs and play along with it.

Another good option for people wanting to learn to play some specific songs (or to play in general) is Rocksmith 2014. It's a game for Mac/PC or consoles, and there's a lot to like about it I think. It's not like Guitar Hero/etc. where you use a fake plastic guitar, you can use your own real guitars to learn to play any of hundreds of songs. Some of them are included, some can be purchased individually or in packages, or if you have enough technical knowledge it's possible to do custom stuff (but that's not officially supported). It uses its own cable by the way, which is a little annoying if you have a good interface, or good if you don't have one.

Some kind of software is useful though if you're going to play through a computer without micing up your own cab.

Ipad/Laptop/iPhone/Mac with relative interface and either studio monitors, PC Speakers or headphones.

In case you didn't know, to people who know the ins and outs of PCs from last century "PC Speaker" means a tiny low quality speaker inside the computer's case that would sound horrendous. ;) Solid advice otherwise. :)

Another word on the software front - VLC is a nice music player. It plays tons of different formats, will let you alter speed and pitch, and will loop sections. Most of which I wasn't aware of even after I'd been using it for several years.

This is probably not a good time to point out that I'm a tech guy...

In case you didn't know, to people who know the ins and outs of PCs from last century "PC Speaker" means a tiny low quality speaker inside the computer's case that would sound horrendous. ;) Solid advice otherwise. :)

Thanks for advice......I'll inform Harman Kardon of their incorrect packaging and advertising. I'm sure the OP got the idea perfectly and I must admit I'm disappointed to find trolls in every corner of the Internet.

Thanks for advice......I'll inform Harman Kardon of their incorrect packaging and advertising. I'm sure the OP got the idea perfectly and I must admit I'm disappointed to find trolls in every corner of the Internet.

I'm sorry if I came off as a troll, I was mostly joking because the term "PC Speaker" amuses me for the reason I mentioned above. If you were not amused, please disregard the comment. I was not trying to offend you.

I'm sorry if I came off as a troll, I was mostly joking because the term "PC Speaker" amuses me for the reason I mentioned above. If you were not amused, please disregard the comment. I was not trying to offend you.

Thanks for the comment Kazz, likewise apologies if I was a tad sharp - I just get a bit tired of some comments which are intended to offend. I'll take myself away and lighten up.

Back