What Do You Want In An Amplifier?

László

Too Many Notes
Some players need multiple channels or modes and lots of controls. Others want simplicity. For some, it's all about great clean tones, and for others, it's all about high gain tones. Some need a great reverb, others hate reverb on an amp. Then there are those who need to replicate a ton of sounds and go digital.

I just go for a great-sounding amp, and am less concerned about channel-switching and modes because I use my guitar's volume controls for that. Though I go back to the days of only single-channel amps being available, I've had a bunch of channel switchers, and basically, if it sounds good, I can make it work regardless.

Sooo....What's your bag?

volume, gain and tone control. some reverb and a fuzzy gain channel

All I need is a Single Channel amp, No loop, No bells and Whistle's. Master Volume is ok with me cause I can always dime it and take it out of the circuit but also can use it practicing at home. No over excessive gain just good tone. 50 watts.

Some players need multiple channels or modes and lots of controls. Others want simplicity. For some, it's all about great clean tones, and for others, it's all about high gain tones. Some need a great reverb, others hate reverb on an amp. Then there are those who need to replicate a ton of sounds and go digital.

I just go for a great-sounding amp, and am less concerned about channel-switching and modes because I use my guitar's volume controls for that. Though I go back to the days of only single-channel amps being available, I've had a bunch of channel switchers, and basically, if it sounds good, I can make it work regardless.

Sooo....What's your bag?

Definitely would prefer a single channel amp, using the guitar controls to control gain tone. For coverband stuff where we do everything from jangly country to moderate gain modern rock to 80s hair band stuff, guitar alone doesn't cut it (for me). If the amp is set so that it's gainy enough with the guitar on 10, there is too much of a volume drop if you back the guitar off enough so that it's jangly clean. The only single channel solution that works for me is a JTM45 (or something else that can be set like one...and PRS has a couple of good alternatives there) set to go from clean to "girthy", and a pedal to take you the rest of the way. Nothing wrong with that at all, but it's fun on those occasions where the setlist is skewed towards higher gain (not needing cleans) and plugging straight in and making it work. Also, nothing wrong with a 2 channel amp either. People say that you can't have two great channels in a single amp. Never tried the 2-channel H or C, but lots of good multi-channel amps out there.

Loud and Clean.

'64 Twin, baby!

64Twin.jpg

Bedroom player that no one wants to hear, so a great clean channel and pedal friendly. A natural reverb is nice.

I use a single channel amp and a HD500 with 3 different overdrive/distortions AND a EQ in the fx loop to use as a solo boost. It's not my ideal setup and I'm still looking for "my" amp, and will definitely be my next big purchase once I work out what that amp is (well ok, unless a guitar comes long that I have to have).

Needs:

Great, warm clean channel. Think early Mesa Mk I or II.
Versatile rhythm channel, from AC/DC "clean dirty" to fairly saturated, responsive to the guitars volume/tone. Tight bottom end, no flubber. No fizz!
Both footswitchable
FX loop

Wants:

3rd channel for solos
Controllable solo boost, footswitchable
Power scaling, preferably separate for each channel
Small head format, with a OEM padded gig bag

I need a bit of versatility since our live set is very varied, and we have no time between songs so minimal chance to fiddle with controls.

I use a single channel amp and a HD500 with 3 different overdrive/distortions AND a EQ in the fx loop to use as a solo boost. It's not my ideal setup and I'm still looking for "my" amp, and will definitely be my next big purchase once I work out what that amp is (well ok, unless a guitar comes long that I have to have).

Needs:

Great, warm clean channel. Think early Mesa Mk I or II.
Versatile rhythm channel, from AC/DC "clean dirty" to fairly saturated, responsive to the guitars volume/tone. Tight bottom end, no flubber. No fizz!
Both footswitchable
FX loop

Wants:

3rd channel for solos
Controllable solo boost, footswitchable
Power scaling, preferably separate for each channel
Small head format, with a OEM padded gig bag

I need a bit of versatility since our live set is very varied, and we have no time between songs so minimal chance to fiddle with controls.

You might like the Mesa Mark V for all that. I really dug the one I had, very versatile, cool stuff.

Lots of beautiful clean tone!
Drive channel but no need for OTT distortion. Maybe another for solo's, but again, not excessive.
Bass, Middle, Treble EQ Controls.
Series Effects Loop
Spring Reverb
Power scaling
Range of colours
Available in a 15 watt head and combo (Combo should not be a small box) with powerscaling for studio and home use and 50 watts for stage.

Thanks for the recommendation Les, it's on the "must try" list. Unfortunately they're bloody expensive over here!

And, I hope you have REALLY strong shoulders for that gig bag! :) Lightweight, they are not.

That said, man are they versatile! I've had a IV and V and really loved both. The weight was my issue. Loved the tone, though.

I need one channel with great cleans and decent headroom... I prefer to use pedals for the versatility when it comes to getting the gain... Nothing against cranked amps, but for live playing where I'm doing covers I really need an amp that will have plenty of headroom but also be very pedal friendly and not too harsh.

I'm currently using a 65amps Ventura (very Tweedesque) but have used a '68 Super Reverb AB763 and '65 Twin Reverb reissue for a long time. Which one I take depends on the venue.

I also have the holy grail, a late '55 Deluxe 5E3. If you are going to do the cranked amp thing and no pedals bizness, that's the amp to pick. I got it for home and jamming mainly and also because it was the model amp used on the recording that saved my life and got me into guitar (Hotel California by the Eagles on both solo parts).

I love some Marshalls too, but really think Fender circuit is the way to go for a clean amp + pedals thing. Just the uncolored pure tone of the cleans. I lean towards Blackface more than Tweed most for this reason but I do love the 65 Ventura which is a bit hairier at louder volumes than my BF amps.

Back