What do you think of a Indian rosewood necks with ebony board on possible ps build?

Ha! Nothing wrong with making something that floats your boat aesthetically!

I agree Les. However, my point is that I don't think I sacrifice that much tone. But.........I think it depends somewhat on your music genre. I play a lot of rock and heavier music with a fair amount of gain. For what I play, I think the pups and amp have more to do with my tone.

I agree Les. However, my point is that I don't think I sacrifice that much tone. But.........I think it depends somewhat on your music genre. I play a lot of rock and heavier music with a fair amount of gain. For what I play, I think the pups and amp have more to do with my tone.

I'd agree. Clean and lower gain is where these little details seem to make their sonic presence felt.

As you increase gain, you're flattening the sine waves coming from the guitar, and making them more like square waves - you can see this on an oscilloscope. That's why it's called "clipping." The tops of the sine waves are "clipped off."

Lower frequencies fatten up, and high frequencies coming from the guitar are reduced, though some highs are generated in the form of harmonic distortion, this coming from the distorting amp or pedal instead of the instrument.

It's a lot like what a fuzz does - a fuzz is a square wave generator in a more extreme way - but in any case, you're certainly not going to be able to tell whether your fingerboard is Peruvian Whatchacallit or North Madagascan Potato Wood with the amp in hard clipping.

Well, except that North Madagascan Potato Wood can feel a little squishy... ;)

Last edited:
Back