Welp, So Much For Me Being Useful On YouTube...

László

Too Many Notes
I've watched a bunch of the That Pedal Show videos, and I don't think I can possibly be as useful or well-prepared as these two, whose work I really enjoy. This, to me, is the perfect kind of video - instructive, prepared beautifully, great "how to", and entertaining at the same time.

I was thinking of doing a 3 amp demo, since I have 3 amps. But I guess I don't need to...

Watch this one all the way through, there's great info, including how to set up a Wet-Dry-Wet rig that sounds spectacular.

I can respect that.
It is tough to find the right boundary between 'just a guy with a thoughtful opinion' and 'polished professional expert'. I would watch the former if I knew the speaker knew what they were talking about - so I would have watched you on a topic that interested me.

IDK Les...much of what they said was over my skill/equipment level...I think a lot of what any presenter brings to the table is perspective. You have been a professional musician for a while so I'd say you have that. I respect your opinion and advice on many things that I do not have knowledge about. I try to watch as many videos as I can on whatever subject I happen to be researching(right now, it's carving a guitar neck...I must have watched at least 30 videos so far!). So go ahead and give us your 2 cents!

I'm not a fan of these videos.
Far, far too long. Lots of self-love. They need to be short, sharp and to the point.
So I think there is a market for similar videos but a lot shorter and to the point.

I don't know Les...
You asked that I watch all the way through. I tried, but my interest was waning about 1/2 way.
If there's room out there for this guy, there's room for you.
[Mod edit]

Sorry Mod.
See? My bad example was too bad. I was looking forward to yours Les.

Last edited:
Interesting comments, guys! I will have to remember to keep videos shorter, and more to the point.

But I do think this was chock full of good info, so...there has to be a good middle ground and I'll try to find it.

Well Les!! I was meandering through some forums last weekend for some info on a Marshall dsl40 and I believe it was gear page or something like, someone was asking a question on an amp.
The reply I read said " Go on the PRS Forum and look up L Schefman he's an authority on amps and knows his stuff. theirs credit to ya. check it out!! All the best.

One thing that I would find helpful is discussing your interpretation of what sounds so good, while your playing an example.

I know that everybody doesn't have the same ears and often I'm not sure if I'm hearing what I'm supposed to be hearing, or if I'm just not listening for the right thing.

Plus it would help clarify future descriptions of tone you use. Words like "bright"or "bassy" can vary among individuals so it could give reference the way many of your Soundcloud clips do.

Last edited:
That's the great thing about the platform. There's always room.

That Pedal Show rules.

One thing you've got that not to many other guys got is PRS. If you look, theres only a couple guys that ever do anything with PRS.
So I say go for it.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions, guys. I wasn't going to not try this YouTube thing, I simply felt that these guys did it so well that it's not going to be easy doing something that's worthy.

Well Les!! I was meandering through some forums last weekend for some info on a Marshall dsl40 and I believe it was gear page or something like, someone was asking a question on an amp.
The reply I read said " Go on the PRS Forum and look up L Schefman he's an authority on amps and knows his stuff. theirs credit to ya. check it out!! All the best.

Holy moly, that's just crazy, isn't it?

So let's see, 100/50/25/10/5 watts, 1 channel or 2 channel, 6L6/6V6/EL84/EL34 etc, wet/dry, wet/dry/wet, heads/combos 1x12 2x12, cabs (2x12 4x12, 4x10), open back/closed back, speaker swaps, where does it all end? Add in the pedal universe and the complexity is staggering.

There is something to be said for just plugging a good guitar into a good amp and belting out something that moves you. Don't get me wrong, I am impressed by all the knowledge and talent; Les being one of that group. I just think it's easier than that. Maybe if I was a better talent than I am, I would want that extra 2% all this might give me. Until then I'll be just as happy with plugging in and belting out something that moves me.

Whats worthy? If you do it and enjoy it.........................
You'll always have your fans and your haters. Thats just the way it will go. I think you have a lot of knowledge you can lay on the guitar playing world.

I watch videos that long or longer all the time...if you've ever watched a TV show, so have you.

A lot of people have short attention spans on YouTube, so it's not a bad idea to break them up if you want to. Maybe a video per amp plus one to compare them? I'd also be fine with a long video, but obviously not everyone likes the same format.

Either way, I look forward to seeing what you do! I think you know what you're doing, but if you need help or advice on the video side, let me know. :)

Great comments I'll try to keep in mind, guys, thanks!

There is something to be said for just plugging a good guitar into a good amp and belting out something that moves you. Don't get me wrong, I am impressed by all the knowledge and talent; Les being one of that group. I just think it's easier than that.

It is, of course, as easy as you say it is. Plug a good guitar into a good amp, and off you go!

And yet...

It seems that some players who record want to know why their recordings don't sound like the recordings of their favorite bands; or how their pedalboard setup might sound a little better. Etc.

Then there's the whole question of "I'm not really all that crazy about the tone I'm getting with my guitar and amp. What's out there that's more to my liking?"

As for myself, I simply like watching and participating in discussions about all this stuff!

Back