Weird question: Anyone have ideas for a UK booking agent?

polara

The (American) band I'm in ( http://facebook.com/thelowready ) want to do some UK dates. We've got a new record coming out (not like many people noticed Sugar on the Stick) as well.

A little background: I've done a lot of open mics there and have friends in London and Edinburgh, we've opened for a lot of UK acts in our past bands (Oasis, James, The Wedding Present) and I played bass for a wonderful Scottish singer-songwriter named Jo McCafferty on her US tour. I also work for a UK company.

The sound of the band is kinda trans-Atlantic indie retro bell-bottomed rock. And yes, we know we won't get paid crap. It just seems like it would be fun. So a few questions for any UK PRSers...

• Know a good booking agent?
  • We'd need a backline, and fly in w/ guitar and small pedalboard, bass, snare and cymbals. Might make things messy.
  • Is it generally like in the US and we just get an envelope of cash (or a dinner and a pint) or would we actually need work visas?
I COULD do it myself but it's tricky to line up even five or six consecutive nights from this far off. I've played The Camden Head in London, Whistle Binkie's in Edinburgh, but that was solo acoustic. I know it'll cost and arm and a leg, and the best we can hope for is to make enough money to cover a few meals. But what the hell? Thanks for any advice.

Thanks! I'm contacting a few buddies over there in bands, and also indiebooker.com . This should be interesting.

Hi, if you're looking for paid work my band gets a lot of work through UK based Function Central / www.functioncentral.co.uk - mostly weddings, office parties that kind of thing. They probably have a sign up page somewhere on their site.

Hi, we work with an agent based in UK called Best One Entertainment We mainly do work for them for weddings, corporate events, birthdays and such. But they also do overseas contracts, we've had work in Greece, Malaysia, France, Spain and even over to New York so if you're still looking to get some gigs over here you should drop them a line, they may be able to get you a few gigs nearer to home in the US as that will work out cheaper for the client than flying UK acts over. All the Oasis, James material obviously goes down well over here so I think you'll do well if you manage to get it sorted out. Cheers, Neil

Back