Want to see my hillbilly family?

Your photo reminds me of a trip I took with the family of a girl I was dating about fifty years ago. Her father had come from Red Boiling Springs, Tennessee, and it was most enlightening. He said nothing had really changed since he was 17 and left to enlist for WWII. Went to some relatives and they showed me the wooden bedroom set that one of them had made; a real piece of craftsmanship, turned posts and carved headboard and dresser. Everyone was so nice .. I think they were convinced that I was going to marry the girl and be part of the family. Alas, it was not to be, and while I continued to be friends with her father the girl ended up marrying a preacher and moving to Mississippi. However I still recall the pleasure of the experience.

This is an old photo from the 40's.. Actually a shotgun wedding photo if you can believe it. That's my aunt holding the shotgun.

Coal miners before they all packed up and headed north to settle in Detroit...which is where I was born.

We visited the ones who didn't make the move when i was about 10.

Really poor...altho those who moved to Detroit did quite well for themselves eventually.

They weren't stupid. TJust very poor.

I remember visiting my Uncle Joe with my dad in the 50's.

Uncle Joe was dying. Black lung.

When we walked up to his little house the thing I remember is a Kellogg Corn Flakes box sewn with wire over a big hole in the screen door.

Scary Mary calls "shotgun".

My relatives went through the same lives, except in Yorkshire, England sides of the family grandfathers were coal miners. Dad's family lived in Elsecar, Yorkshire England. It was a company town for the local coal mine. My grandfather Joe remembered when they got pit head showers so that they could cleanup before going home. Grandad Joe got black lung disease and was offered the job as manager of the local working man's club. Because of black lung he was determined that his two sons Eric (my Dad) and Uncle Ken weren't going down the mines and got them both apprenticeships.

Shortly after Dad got his apprentice ship, World War Two broke out and he enlisted. Dad saw service in the British army in Egypt, Palestine, Belgium and France. When the war was finally over Dad went home and figured he didn't want to stay in Elsecar after seeing the world. Besides, all his friend were gone. Dad heard about Canada and moved to Toronto, Canada where he met my Mom, Marian. Mom was going to school after the war to become a fashion designer. From Toronto they moved back to Vancouver because Dad wanted Mom to be near her family. Then my brother and I were born in Vancouver where we both still live.

Quite the westward journey all told!

I have nothing useful to add here, but as you know, feel obligated to add something. All I have is...

I have a sticker on one of my kayaks that says "Paddle faster, I hear banjo music."

That is all.

Seriously, that is an interesting story. WHOLE lots of changes to many aspects of society in the last two centuries.

I have nothing useful to add here, but as you know, feel obligated to add something. All I have is...

I have a sticker on one of my kayaks that says "Paddle faster, I hear banjo music."

That is all.

Seriously, that is an interesting story. WHOLE lots of changes to many aspects of society in the last two centuries.

Not even that long. When my grandmother died, one of my relatives on that side of the family sent me a CD or DVD with a TON of old pictures on it, including relatives I don't think I'd ever heard mentioned. In just my grandmother's lifetime, seeing the changes in everyday life was astounding. Just for one example, my grandmother's first husband and a couple infant children both died, and they were laid out in the family home. And it wasn't like there was just a picture or two - there were multiples of each. Pretty much unimaginable to have that kind of visitation today, although I've heard more and more about people taking pictures at funerals.

Hell, just in my lifetime, the human races has made some amazing steps forward (and sadly, some regrettable steps backwards as well). The last time I was at my grandmother's childhood home, the road in front of it was still unpaved - for miles. And my great-grandfather had a party line. That would have been late 1970s/early 1980s. Today I could probably have a video chat with someone from that area - I suspect the old house is gone now because that property was broken up after he died.

Scary Mary calls "shotgun".
“Shoot him for he run now! Do the jerk baby. Do the jerk now." Junior Walker.

That is all.

Not many know this except my ex-wives, but I can yodel!

My dad used to sing to me. He had a very good voice.

He'd sing all those old Carter Family and Jimmie Rogers songs that are now such classics like the Ballad of Jessie James and Hobo Bill. A lot of those songs that Bruce Springsteen put on The Seegar Sessions CD.

I love that old country and mountain music.

But can't stand modern country radio for more than a song or two.

Last edited:
Great stories, and a fantastic picture. Thanks to all. Someday, I’ll get on a roll with stories about my great grandfather. My dad told me a bunch of them. My great grandfather was a hellion and a charter for sure. I need to write them down. I’m going to see my dad in January, I’ll take a recorder and get him to tell some of those stories.

Great stories, and a fantastic picture. Thanks to all. Someday, I’ll get on a roll with stories about my great grandfather. My dad told me a bunch of them. My great grandfather was a hellion and a charter for sure. I need to write them down. I’m going to see my dad in January, I’ll take a recorder and get him to tell some of those stories.
Got a cell phone? Then you have a recorder! Looking forward to hearing some hoots!!

Love the photo.

This summer we went to visit the house my dad grew up in.

He had two brothers and his dad (my grandpa) worked as a farm hand.

They had zero money and lived just above poverty. Things changed a bit after grandpa got home from ww2. They moved to town and my dad talks about being embarrassed attending an actual public school.

He wore bibs and boots as a youngster while others were better outfitted. He said he never felt like he fit in even when he was a senior in HS.

We really enjoyed the trip and the people that actually live in that house were very accommodating and gracious.

The one room school he went to is no longer there but there is a sign marking where the school was.

My dad claims living out there was some of the best times in his life. They had what they needed and the family was super close.

I’m almost envious.

My grandfather on my Mom's side always said that it's easier to be poor in the country than in the city.

My dad claims living out there was some of the best times in his life. They had what they needed and the family was super close.

I’m almost envious.

Totally get it. Simple life. You did what you HAD to do, and didn't even think much about it. I came from a small town in SE Ohio, where life was much simpler than adult life has become, especially with the internet and tech that keeps everyone connected at all times, and everyone knows everything and what everyone else is doing... it's not healthy, IMO. The tech can be used for good of course, and is, but it's at least 50/50 split good/bad, IMHO.

“Shoot him for he run now! Do the jerk baby. Do the jerk now." Junior Walker.

Not many know this except my ex-wives, but I can yodel!

My dad used to sing to me. He had a very good voice.

He'd sing all those old Carter Family and Jimmie Rogers songs that are now such classics like the Ballad of Jessie James and Hobo Bill. A lot of those songs that Bruce Springsteen put on The Seegar Sessions CD.

I love that old country and mountain music.

But can't stand modern country radio for more than a song or two.
I bet you do a mean version of "He's In The Jail House Now".

Back