Waiting for a SC-58...

MikeChandler

I took the plunge and bought a 2011 PRS SC-58 online. It is supposed to be here this Friday.

What am I in for?

Seller said it is all original including the pickups - has some player scuffs, dings on the back edge and all - but otherwise very good condition. Price was really good - about what I'd pay for a used Gibson traditional with an average top. The problem is I'd never buy a Gibson without playing it first (sorry been there, done with that). On a PRS I am less worried - I've never gotten a dog PRS. I've owned some insanely good gibsons in the past - but I've definitely landed a few dogs over the years too. And I greatly prefer the historics to the USA production stuff anyway.

Somewhere in the mix (about 2005) I found a mccarty with a rosewood neck that became my favorite guitar until it was stolen. I miss that guitar a lot.

So the SC-58... will it be in the same league?

Here's the obligatory pic:

g9jnxodxszayr4gxr313.jpg

I had a SC58 and loved it. Not sure why I ever sold it, lol. It was a very resonant guitar that sounded great.

Yours looks great!

Expect a great sounding PRS with more "oomph" and resonance, especially in the low mids on the neck pickup. The fact that the body is thicker, and goes higher up the neck on the non-cutaway upper bout matters.

The 2 piece bridge doubles the attachment points resonating the guitar body. That matters.

The ability to blend the pickups gives more tone options than are possible with other designs.

In all, SC models are my favorite PRSes. With any luck, you'll love it, too!

The 2 piece bridge doubles the attachment points resonating the guitar body. That matters.

It does, indeed.
Twice I intended to buy a SC58, both of them bought a single-piece-bridge PRS (a McCarty and a SC245). It is not worse or better, it just sounds and rings different. A matter of taste, I guess.

That SC58 looks beautiful, enjoy it!

My experience with used PRS guitars is that they generally need a setup and often fretwork as well. My first, an SC245, came in perfect shape. I changed the pickups anyway. The rest needed work. "All original electronics" has rarely been true, though in one case the aftermarket work had actually been done at PRS. It's a crap shoot, but the guitars are so good, and so many people own guitars that they rarely play, that I am confident any PRS can be sorted relatively easily. Generally a setup with a neck adjust and a fret dress and you're good to go.

My experience with used PRS guitars is that they generally need a setup and often fretwork as well. My first, an SC245, came in perfect shape. I changed the pickups anyway. The rest needed work. "All original electronics" has rarely been true, though in one case the aftermarket work had actually been done at PRS. It's a crap shoot, but the guitars are so good, and so many people own guitars that they rarely play, that I am confident any PRS can be sorted relatively easily. Generally a setup with a neck adjust and a fret dress and you're good to go.

I hope you are wrong!

It's a brick and mortar store, and they've assured me the frets are perfect, and they sent closeups of the pickups, which have the proper engraved markings. There's some rash on the back of the guitar, but I don't care about that stuff.

If it needs a fret dressing and setup I'll just send it back. I have a 72 hour return window, and they'll cover shipping.

I really hope this guitar isn't a fiasco - your post has me worried.

Actually that was supposed to be encouraging...

My point was supposed to be that PRS guitars are solid and can be recovered from just about any condition.

Definitely a plus that it's a brick and mortar store. Nonetheless, most guitars need a setup after shipping, or after a couple years without a setup. That is inexpensive, or you could do it yourself easily enough. The fret dressing depends on how persnickety you are and how much play wear there is. I'm finding that more and more it's worth it to me. I get all my guitars plek'd now unless they are in extremely good condition.

Oh man, oh man, oh man.

Honestly I was so miffed at the seller for sending it ground despite my requesting 2nd day, that I was determined to just turn it right back around on him. But... I made the mistake of unboxing it.

for the life of me, I cannot find a fault with this guitar. it's easily one of the best I've owned. omg...

It has that immediate acoustic like quality touch-wise like a great les paul.. the neck is sort of in between the 59 and 60, but it has enough girth/roundness for good thumb position like a 58... very sweet singing sustain.. it goes on and on.

I lucked out in that the only dings are on the bottom of the back, they look kinda cool on this guitar... clearly thinner finish, again like a gibson, and unlike a modern prs (which usually don't look good with dings).

The pickups sound very legit, although it seems the bridge has more hair on it - sounds great through my boogie heartbreaker.

Wow.

oh... and it came in a funky brown/gold embroidered brocade case, and all the paperwork was in the pocket, including the original tag.

It's nice for once to feel like I got a deal!

I been playing her since the last post. Good grief it sounds fantastic. It's a very inspiring guitar. Sorry, I cannot stop long enough for pictures... maybe in a couple days. lol

Back