Vintage pups

xchefdino

Has anyone swapped out there 85/15 in the CE for 58/15LT pups. I really like the vintage tone. The 85/15 is to modern for me. I rushed my purchase and should’ve gotten a McCarty. So now I’m thinking of swapping them out, would the 58/15 lt still work well in a custom 24? And would they still coil split. ?

The correct answer is - of course - get a McCarty.

However I think you can always try the lower output PUs in the CE, but it will not sound like a McCarty, different guitar.

I'm with you--I like PRS guitars for their overall quality, but I don't prefer the "modern" feel/attack of some of the CE/CU 24 pickups. So I took the 85/15 pickups out of my CE 24, and (while not 58/15 LT vintage-spec pickups) installed some DiMarzio Airbuckers--which are supposed to emulate the weaker and vintage-typical AlNiCo II magnets. I'll be honest, it saved a LOT of $$$ versus trying to source some PRS replacements...

I really like these pickups (Air Classic bridge in the neck, and Air Norton in the bridge) a lot in this guitar; in particular, I believe it's because I put a bridge-model pickup in the neck position. In 24-fret guitars, your neck pickup is in the "wrong" spot, so that neck position always sounds a bit off from a typical vintage tone (always a bit of bridge/middle sound in there). Well, I feel like I've been able to recalibrate that position by putting a bridge pickup there, such that the neck position seems more naturally-balanced than before.

I'm with you--I like PRS guitars for their overall quality, but I don't prefer the "modern" feel/attack of some of the CE/CU 24 pickups. So I took the 85/15 pickups out of my CE 24, and (while not 58/15 LT vintage-spec pickups) installed some DiMarzio Airbuckers--which are supposed to emulate the weaker and vintage-typical AlNiCo II magnets. I'll be honest, it saved a LOT of $$$ versus trying to source some PRS replacements...

I really like these pickups (Air Classic bridge in the neck, and Air Norton in the bridge) a lot in this guitar; in particular, I believe it's because I put a bridge-model pickup in the neck position. In 24-fret guitars, your neck pickup is in the "wrong" spot, so that neck position always sounds a bit off from a typical vintage tone (always a bit of bridge/middle sound in there). Well, I feel like I've been able to recalibrate that position by putting a bridge pickup there, such that the neck position seems more naturally-balanced than before.
What did you do with the 85-15 pups. Did you sell them

What did you do with the 85-15 pups. Did you sell them

I actually have them for sale in the Facebook buy/sell/trade group.

Also do the air buckers have ability to split coil

Yes, they sure do--although you just need to be aware that the wiring colors are different than PRS's colors. (For DiMarzio, red = hot, green & bare = ground, and black + white together get grounded for single-coil tap.)

You could swap them out for the 5815LT without issue. Another option, and what I'd probably go for is 5708. Both coil split. I personally am not the biggest fan of the 8515 either. I do like them in the CE though, but very picky in other guitars. It's honestly the bridge pickup that doesn't work for me, but the neck I really like.

You could swap them out for the 5815LT without issue. Another option, and what I'd probably go for is 5708. Both coil split. I personally am not the biggest fan of the 8515 either. I do like them in the CE though, but very picky in other guitars. It's honestly the bridge pickup that doesn't work for me, but the neck I really like.
At around $400 for a set, the 57/08 are $100 less than the 58/15's which seem to be going for $500 a set! o_O

I have the 57/08's in three guitars.

That's how much I love 'em.

My research showed me that the two are very similar with the 58/15 having a little more clarity in the clean tones. They are also TCI whatever that does

My research showed me that the two are very similar with the 58/15 having a little more clarity in the clean tones. They are also TCI whatever that does
Thermal Cryogenetic Inductance.

They're used in the guitars on StarTrek.

Pretty sure I first heard of them in an episode of Deep Sh!t Nine.

They're always getting in some deep sh!t on that show.

Last edited:
The S as in import version? I have both, different guitars, but I do not really like the 58/15S pickups. Definately not in the same league as the 57/08.

I am a Wolfetone adcocate (like them more than any PUs I tried) and he has some great sounding vintage PUs for great prices. Definately a better option than the import 58/15s, IMO of course. You should give him a call!

At around $400 for a set, the 57/08 are $100 less than the 58/15's which seem to be going for $500 a set! o_O

I have the 57/08's in three guitars.

That's how much I love 'em.

With a little bit of patience and watching the 5815LT can be had for more in line with the 5708. Though, I also caught my last 5708 on a sale that was going on at quite a few dealers for a smokin' deal. My fingers are crossed they run it again this year.

I have a 5815LT neck and 5708 bridge in my SAS which kills, and soon I'll have a covered 5909 and 5815LT in my KL33. Right now I'm digging the 8515 in the neck too much to swap.

The S as in import version? I have both, different guitars, but I do not really like the 58/15S pickups. Definately not in the same league as the 57/08.

I am a Wolfetone adcocate (like them more than any PUs I tried) and he has some great sounding vintage PUs for great prices. Definately a better option than the import 58/15s, IMO of course. You should give him a call!

Yes, S is import. Funny I picked up the 5815LT to put in my se HB2 when I was waiting for it to come in. Once it arrived I liked the 5815S in there too much to pull after I got them dialed in. Surprised me as I don't typically care for the S pickups.

Agree, 100% on Wolfetone.. the DrVs are my fav, definitely in the neck DrV all the way.. Sorta reminds me of the 5708. In some guitars I prefer the Marshallhead in the bridge over the DrV. I honestly think I preferred the MH over the 5909 in the bridge of my KL33. But I prefer the 5708 in the bridge of my SAS over the MH.

Same here, I think 8515 neck is the absolute best neck pickup prs makes with 5708 neck a close 2nd.

It over powers 8515 bridge pickup in my opinion and it's really hard to find a bridge pickup that mates with it well.

How different are the 57/08s and 58/15s?
8515 neck and 5708 neck are simular. Both are very good pickups but the bridge pickup's are completely different.

Personally, I find 5708 bridge uninspiring and 8515 undesirable.

I had a set of 5708 squabbins in a ce24 for a couple of years. Neck was fabulous but I just couldn't fall in love with bridge. However, there was a couple of gigs where that bridge pickup did sound decent. I don't know why or what caused it to sound different.

Maybe the room was responsible???

when i hear people talk about LP tone several different tones come to mind for me. Paul Kossoff-love, Joe Bonamassa-love, Slash-not so much.

That should give some perspective on my POV.

With a little bit of patience and watching the 5815LT can be had for more in line with the 5708. Though, I also caught my last 5708 on a sale that was going on at quite a few dealers for a smokin' deal. My fingers are crossed they run it again this year.

I have a 5815LT neck and 5708 bridge in my SAS which kills, and soon I'll have a covered 5909 and 5815LT in my KL33. Right now I'm digging the 8515 in the neck too much to swap.
Since you have a 5815LT neck, how would you compare it to a normal output 5815?

The reason I ask is I just put 5310 set in my McCarty. Bridge is covered neck is square bobbin.

If the 5815 LT is not as overpowering as a square bobbin 8515 then I'd love to put that in neck position.

Since you have a 5815LT neck, how would you compare it to a normal output 5815?

The reason I ask is I just put 5310 set in my McCarty. Bridge is covered neck is square bobbin.

If the 5815 LT is not as overpowering as a square bobbin 8515 then I'd love to put that in neck position.
I'd say it's less for sure. I'm really looking forward to having the 5815LT in the SAS and KL33 for some AB action. I'll report back.

How are you liking the 5310?

I'd say it's less for sure. I'm really looking forward to having the 5815LT in the SAS and KL33 for some AB action. I'll report back.

How are you liking the 5310?
So far so good. I like 5310s so I knew I would like em in my McCarty.

I have 5310 squabbins in my ce24 and ce22 so I'm going to put my reissue T and Bs in the ce24.

Don't need 3 guitars with the same pickups.

I'm going through amp frustrations as of late.

Just can't seem to find "my amp".

Back