Various PRS Singlecut/LP type options, help me narrow down...

SlapTappy

Howdy y'all, I have a 2008 first-year DGT and just bought a Silver Sky in Dodgem Blue. They are both easily the slickest playing guitars in my entire collection, the set-ups are just out of this world. I don't care what anybody says, the Silver Sky is a Strat and it's the best damn playing Strat I've experienced. But I digress.

The Silver Sky got me jonesing for that PRS impeccability in a Singlecut/LP style platform to cover most bases. The DGT is really its own thing and doesn't sound like a burst LP. The 594 seems the obvious choice, but I've played a bunch and I hate to say I just can't bond with them! I honestly think it's the finish - the DGT and Silver Sky have nitro finishes on their necks, which feels like home. I find it much harder to bond with the V12 or whatever finish they're using these days on the necks. I've even played newer DGTs and it just feels alien to me.

So I suppose I'm looking for the next best thing to the 594, but ideally with a nitro finish. The closest candidate I can find is the 2009 limited run Ted McCarty SC245. Are there any other options worth considering? Thanks in advance.

Thanks everyone. Trying to stick close to the LP formula - 2 vol/2 tone, fixed bridge, singlecut etc. I'm fine w the old poly finish but anything V12 or newer feels weird to me. Nitro gets bonus points.

I did once own a Mccarty RW, fantastic but weighed a ton!

There's a few limited runs out there that were done in Paul's PF09 finish, which is his nitro finish. The Dirty 100s, 53/10 limiteds, the Sunburst 22 limited etc. Unfortunately I think these were all double cuts. I can't think of any limited runs that were single cut, though that's not to say they weren't out there.
Do any of the wood library runs of 594s come in nitro? Otherwise I guess it's a private stock 594!

The Teds are really well regarded guitars. I think they generally had 57/08 or 59/09 pickups, or a combination of those. They would probably have been the closest you could have got to a vintage Les Paul flavored PRS back in 2009. But certainly, if you're after a PRS version of a 'Burst' Les Paul (which to me means a '59) then the 594 is where it's at.

There are 'Satin' finished 594s out there (wood library runs etc). I'm not sure if that means that they are also nitro.

You really can't go wrong with an SC245. It's not going to be as thick as a LP - well, mine isn't...it has 57/08s which I prefer for clarity - but the sustain will be there. The SC594 should REALLY get you there from what I have read. I had an SC250 but it was a different beast - more of a high-performance, hard rock/metal LP. I have an S2 Singlecut Standard that, while looks like it wouldn't do ANYTHING LP like because of the giant plastic pickguard, really gives a fabulous, earthy LP type tone - especially if you want something a little more raw.

Are you wanting the same LP layout? Then you need to look at 245, Singlecut or 594. If not, I highly recommend looking at the SC Trem. The 245 and 594 are going to be shorter scale lengths as well so that plays into the feel and sound of the LP a bit as well.

I just traded a 245 for an SC Trem and have not looked back once.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I don't really dig satin finishes (I'm sounding very picky! ><). And I do prefer 2V/2T setup because I like to blend the two pickups in the middle position, especially if I'm doing out of phase Peter Green type stuff. I was initially looking at the 24.5 scale preferably, but I do really like the 25" scale on my DGT. I see a few suggestions for the SC Trem - what gives you guys preference for that one over a fixed bridge model? Here's my peak interest so far -
SC Trem
Ted SC 245

The Private Stock stuff or Modern Eage is a bit rich for my blood unfortunately.

One thing I can say about the satin finish, is it's really easy to gloss up more of you don't like the satin. Hell, it'll gloss up anyway in the areas you touch a lot just through playing it. So if you can get a satin 594 that you like (assuming the satin ones are nitro), just polish it up a bit until you're happy

Last edited:
Back