Various PRS Singlecut/LP type options, help me narrow down...

Howdy y'all, I have a 2008 first-year DGT and just bought a Silver Sky in Dodgem Blue. They are both easily the slickest playing guitars in my entire collection, the set-ups are just out of this world. I don't care what anybody says, the Silver Sky is a Strat and it's the best damn playing Strat I've experienced. But I digress.

The Silver Sky got me jonesing for that PRS impeccability in a Singlecut/LP style platform to cover most bases. The DGT is really its own thing and doesn't sound like a burst LP. The 594 seems the obvious choice, but I've played a bunch and I hate to say I just can't bond with them! I honestly think it's the finish - the DGT and Silver Sky have nitro finishes on their necks, which feels like home. I find it much harder to bond with the V12 or whatever finish they're using these days on the necks. I've even played newer DGTs and it just feels alien to me.

So I suppose I'm looking for the next best thing to the 594, but ideally with a nitro finish. The closest candidate I can find is the 2009 limited run Ted McCarty SC245. Are there any other options worth considering? Thanks in advance.
Two good starters.

So i saw the title of this thread and smiled.

Why? Because I played a Les Paul exclusively for 10 years before I even touched a PRS and over the last 5 years, have been down that journey of trying to get a Les Paul tone from a PRS.
So fasten yout seat belts. This will be a long one.

On pickups : 57/08s are very clear and amazing pickups in general but as many forum members said, too thin for the LP sound. Avoid given what yoh describe.

58/15 LTs (aka 594) is more classic Les Paul tones aka Tele on steroids. This means they are sweet and amazing clear but ultimately not necessarily as fat as some hardcore les paul guys may expect. Still amazing pickups.

Vintage Bass (though you dont see them on singelcuts) are probably the warmest PRS pickup i have played . It makes my 2008 PS custom 24 almost sound like a LP.

#7 pickups : i dont own one but i have played in a couple of shops. Warmish.

Dragon neck (aka Tremonti): in my A/B testing, the closest to a Les Paul neck tone out of all my 10 PRSs

On guitars:

On the 594, think you captured it well. I have the same feeling with the neck somehow. Not my favourite though it is amazing for most. I definitely prefer my DGTs neck though it is also gloss though nitro.

I have never played a SC245, or a SCT but i have played the original PRS singlecut and own the Tremonti, both with the pseudo LP layout . The widefat neck on the former is my favourite PRS neck rhough i surprising like the pattern thin on the tremonti too. The switch layout is a cinch yo get used to, and like you, 2 vols 2 tones is a big plus.

Reading your POV on neck feel, what i would recommend for a great neck feel, rather than satin, is a rosewood neck. You can't go wrong with that. I played standard gloss nitro mahogany all my life and the rosewood neck was just better.

With all these taken into account, my recommendation would be

Option 1: PRS singlecut braz (1999 to 2001ish run): amazing braz rosewood neck. Very les paul weighing thick body. Nice pickups. A bit rare as only 200 were made but not that expensive. Similarly priced to a new 594

Option 2 (left field): PRS Tremonti. I avoided this guitar like the plague for years because of the pattern thin neck. My favourite neck is my 1965 historic firebirds which is probably more baseball even than a 58. Then i played the tremonti and it is currently the favourite out of my 11 PRSs. The trem has no negative impact on sustain and the neck pickup sounds exactly like a les paul to me the bridge is that with balls. Just try it. You may hate the neck but just try.

Net i also have videos on youtube, comparing the 594 with the DGT and tremonti. You can check those out for additional perspecyive.

Thanks for the very thorough post Utkarsh! I definitely lean towards the breakup to medium gain side of things, more blues/classic rock than heavy metal (though I do rarely venture there). So I tend to prefer the more "vintage" flavored sounds/aesthetics. If they made a 594 with a rosewood neck that would probably be it for me, I suspect. That would solve my weird aversion to the V12/newer feeling neck. However my old McCarty Rosewood was like an anvil around the shoulders. Are most rosewood necked guitars significantly heavier? How does the rosewood neck compare tonally to mahogany?

I'd love to run into a Tremonti model in the wild but have had no such luck yet. I like to play these things to get a feel before I shell out the cash for them.

...I've played a bunch and I hate to say I just can't bond with them! I honestly think it's the finish - the DGT and Silver Sky have nitro finishes on their necks, which feels like home. I find it much harder to bond with the V12 or whatever finish they're using these days on the necks. ... I'm looking for the next best thing to the 594, but ideally with a nitro finish. The closest candidate I can find is the 2009 limited run Ted McCarty SC245. Are there any other options worth considering? Thanks in advance.

Do you have any inexpensive guitars currently in your fleet that you could try converting the hard-slick surface to satin (via scotchbright or 800 grit sandpaper)? That is usually what people want/need. I'd use masking tape to protect the ends and give a nice clean pattern to the satinizing otherwise it tends to look messy. You don't need to go to wood. Just enough sanding to break up the surface finish into a hazy appearance. Then play that for a while. If it works you can buy any guitar you want. If it doesn't work, since you only did the top finish not down to wood, you can use progressively higher grit sandpaper to go back up to full gloss polish.

If you don't have a cheap guitar in the fleet currently, go on Reverb/etc and get one of the PRS SE models that match more of the specs, like a Tremonti SE model (because of four pots) or just a single cut 22 (a 24 will give more SG tones than LP tones due to pickup placements). If you do that and the satin neck setup feels right, I'd say to go get a set of Gibson pickups as well as a full Gibson wiring harness, adjust pickup heights carefully, and you'll have the sound you seek.

If somehow this satin mod doesn't quite do it, you'll have the back of the neck prepared with the sanding for an over coat of Nitro spray you or a buddy could do on the back of the neck. Mask off everything you need to protect and spray on several coats. If that works you can do it to any guitar you want.

I still consider myself a Les Paul guy.

I think my 594 has familiar controls to the Les Paul, has a nice neck & I do enjoy playing it.

But my Standard McCarty feels/sounds more like home to me. On paper the 594 is closer to Les Paul's, but my hands don't see it that way.

Do you have any inexpensive guitars currently in your fleet that you could try converting the hard-slick surface to satin (via scotchbright or 800 grit sandpaper)? That is usually what people want/need. I'd use masking tape to protect the ends and give a nice clean pattern to the satinizing otherwise it tends to look messy. You don't need to go to wood. Just enough sanding to break up the surface finish into a hazy appearance. Then play that for a while. If it works you can buy any guitar you want. If it doesn't work, since you only did the top finish not down to wood, you can use progressively higher grit sandpaper to go back up to full gloss polish.

If you don't have a cheap guitar in the fleet currently, go on Reverb/etc and get one of the PRS SE models that match more of the specs, like a Tremonti SE model (because of four pots) or just a single cut 22 (a 24 will give more SG tones than LP tones due to pickup placements). If you do that and the satin neck setup feels right, I'd say to go get a set of Gibson pickups as well as a full Gibson wiring harness, adjust pickup heights carefully, and you'll have the sound you seek.

If somehow this satin mod doesn't quite do it, you'll have the back of the neck prepared with the sanding for an over coat of Nitro spray you or a buddy could do on the back of the neck. Mask off everything you need to protect and spray on several coats. If that works you can do it to any guitar you want.

Lots of good suggestions and food for thought, thanks!

Lots of good suggestions and food for thought, thanks!
I've also been down this road I can add a few more rambling tidbits.
I originally had a Tremonti, installed the SD pearly gates, and it was quite good, however I did eventually get a very nice Les Paul standard, installed the pearly gates in it as well.
I was very surprised how noticibaly darker the Tremonti EQ was toward Bass versus the Les Paul The LP had more snap more crispness more brightness than the Tremonti with the same identical pickup. It was definitely something about the wood, the construction (trem) and the 25 inch scale. I did actually trade that guitar for a 594, I took that exact same pearly gates and put it in the 594, I could hardly tell the difference between that guitar and Les Paul anymore, so the 594 very great match with the right pickup, additionally I found the 57/08 to be nearly perfect match to the pearly gates, it seems to me I love the 57/08 for a Les Paul tone, I would not rated thin at all. I did not like the 5815 LT it was definitely too thin/weak,even though it's nice, but the tuning stability and the playability of the 594 is superior to the Les Paul. I also owned the Frederick Akkesson PRS single cut 245, I dropped in Seymour Duncan slash Alnico II pickups, it sounded phenomenal I let that one slip through my fingers because the ebony fretboard was slightly too percussive for me I think I regret that one. I also know that people love the Bernie Marsden PRS single cut,
I also have a DGT and it is very close to a Les Paul but the tremolo gives it a very nice metallic crispness and reverb difference, I really really really really really like my DGT especially for that slight extra brightness. and the telecaster tone. so my opinion if you want to PRS to sub for a Les Paul, any of the singleIcut SC245, TED, or 24.594, with a pickup upgrade of your choice gets unbelievably close,all nearly perfect. the two-piece 594 tail is the closest.

One thing that has not yet been mentioned is the difference in fretwire used by some of the guitars, SC58 and two-piece bridge 245 have larger, i.e. DGT fretwire. Makes a world of a difference to me. Not sure of any of the other singlecuts have the same size frets.

Want nitro, a PRS feel, and a PRS-influenced LP vibe? There’s a PS model called the McCarty Singlecut. I have one, it’s wonderful, it’s nitro (also have a couple of non-nitro 594s).

I have seen them come up on the used market from time to time at fairly reasonable prices. Here’s a pic of mine; it’s a killer guitar:

9jbLbz1.jpg

And a more romantic closeup of the glow of nitro...
yksM97Z.jpg

Here’s a dark horse for you. There is the Bernie Marsden SE as a gateway drug if you like his tone. One of my friends owns around 50 guitars, and that’s his favorite for an LP Tone. They are cheap, you should get your money back when you sell, and you can live with the 245 scale and see what you think until you find “the one”. I played and cursed at an LP Custom for 25 years. I have an SE Tremonti trem with USA Mira pickups in it now that scratches the itch.

Here’s a dark horse for you. There is the Bernie Marsden SE as a gateway drug if you like his tone. One of my friends owns around 50 guitars, and that’s his favorite for an LP Tone. They are cheap, you should get your money back when you sell, and you can live with the 245 scale and see what you think until you find “the one”. I played and cursed at an LP Custom for 25 years. I have an SE Tremonti trem with USA Mira pickups in it now that scratches the itch.

I was just cleaning up my Bernie and took some photos with the intention of putting it up for sale...:(

Great guitar, actually really great, but I just do not play it as much as my others. Yet, whenever I pull it from its gig-bag, I am reminded as to why I still have not sold it - something about it is just so comfortable. I think that it is the guitar I have the biggest emotional bond with. Heck, I considered selling my Signature Limited and keeping the Bernie not too long ago.

Want nitro, a PRS feel, and a PRS-influenced LP vibe? There’s a PS model called the McCarty Singlecut. I have one, it’s wonderful, it’s nitro (also have a couple of non-nitro 594s).

I have seen them come up on the used market from time to time at fairly reasonable prices. Here’s a pic of mine; it’s a killer guitar:

9jbLbz1.jpg

And a more romantic closeup of the glow of nitro...
yksM97Z.jpg
wow that's it , that's the bees knees, that is the honeycomb with the honey, 57/08 in the single cut 24.594 inch scale, nitro wow wow wow those extra thick brass saddles are beautiful.
I can just see the tone pouring off that thing, like honey.
:eek::):D:cool:

wow that's it , that's the bees knees, that is the honeycomb with the honey, 57/08 in the single cut 24.594 inch scale, nitro wow wow wow those extra thick brass saddles are beautiful.
I can just see the tone pouring off that thing, like honey.
:eek::):D:cool:

So true, it does drip tone! It came out before the 594 neck was intro’d. So this one’s got 24.5” scale. But yeah, I LOVE this guitar.

My SC245 is a fantastic playing and sounding guitar however it sounds absolutely nothing like my R7. I say go with the 594.

Back