Using Heavy Strings on an SE ?

Not sure if this helps, but am running 11-49 on my Mira X and the intonation is close to spot on without any adjustments. Have tried both a PolyTune and Peterson clip on strobe tuner. Then again, there is a bigger jump from 11 to 13 than from stock to 11.

(Originally was going to make some comment about playing either surf or bluegrass with those strings, but realized that was out of line.) Betting that SE is going to sound great playing jazz.

I am about to get my first SE (Custom 22 semi-hollow).

I use heavy-ish flat-wound strings : 13-17-21-28-39-53.

I have three questions:
1. Are the holes in the fixed-intonation bridge large enough for strings of that diameter?
2. Are there likely to be intonation problems? (I see the bridge is intonated for 9 & 10 string sets).
3. Will the grooves in the nut cope with strings of that diameter?

Many thanks for your help. Best - Andy
You will need to widen the net slots... mostly on the low E, A, and D. I use EB Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms 10-56 and had to do some nut work. Fine grit sandpaper and some patience is all you need.

Not sure if this helps, but am running 11-49 on my Mira X and the intonation is close to spot on without any adjustments. Have tried both a PolyTune and Peterson clip on strobe tuner. Then again, there is a bigger jump from 11 to 13 than from stock to 11.

(Originally was going to make some comment about playing either surf or bluegrass with those strings, but realized that was out of line.) Betting that SE is going to sound great playing jazz.

Thanks: Yes, I think the 11 to 13 jump may cause problems - but there do seem to be reasonably-priced adjustable wraparounds if I need to change. 13-Flats plus heavy pick has become my sound I think.. pretty much dominates any change in guitar.

You will need to widen the net slots... mostly on the low E, A, and D. I use EB Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms 10-56 and had to do some nut work. Fine grit sandpaper and some patience is all you need.

Thanks - Yes I'm resigned to a bit of nut-filing now !

Thanks: Yes, I think the 11 to 13 jump may cause problems - but there do seem to be reasonably-priced adjustable wraparounds if I need to change. 13-Flats plus heavy pick has become my sound I think.. pretty much dominates any change in guitar.

Good luck. Hopefully you won't need to change the bridge. I just love the feel of the stock wraparound. On both the core and SE line.

Yup. Heavy strings and heavy pick create a beautiful sound. I've never been able to tame a really heavy pick (i.e. Wegen 4 or 5mm thick). Usually end up with just 1.2 to 1.4. I admire folks who can pull a nice strong tone from a thick pick.

Back