Using Heavy Strings on an SE ?

Andy123

I am about to get my first SE (Custom 22 semi-hollow).

I use heavy-ish flat-wound strings : 13-17-21-28-39-53.

I have three questions:
1. Are the holes in the fixed-intonation bridge large enough for strings of that diameter?
2. Are there likely to be intonation problems? (I see the bridge is intonated for 9 & 10 string sets).
3. Will the grooves in the nut cope with strings of that diameter?

Many thanks for your help. Best - Andy

I would say:

1. Possibly?

2. Likely.

3. Not likely.

You're definitely gonna need to widen/replace the nut. Probably the bridge also - I don't recommend the tone pros wraparound from personal experience.

Also, what tuning?

Hi - Many Thanks for your advice. I use standard tuning.

On previous guitars I've only had to widen the low E & sometimes the A nut-slots to accommodate 39 & 53. Is the PRS nut cut very tight do you think?

Did you find a better alternative to the TonePros Wraparound? (....other than the PRS - which I see costs almost as much as the guitar !...)

Thanks again - Best - Andy

The SE nuts (with minor exceptions like sig models) are cut for 9's. You defn need to widen or replace, or will have constant tuning problems.

I'm just living with the annoying-to-string TonePros for now on that guitar. Others might have suggestions (probly Mann-made)

Thanks again. What string gauge are you using?

I thought TonePros were a class act... What's wrong with their Wraparound ?

Best - Andy

I use 11-52 in standard in all my guitars.
In my SE, I needed to widen the nut slots. The 52 intonates well but the saddle is close to its furthest position, so a 53 maybe will not intonate.

That's interesting - Thanks for that. Did you have to widen all the slots for your 11-52's or just the lower strings?

Thanks again. What string gauge are you using?

I thought TonePros were a class act... What's wrong with their Wraparound ?

Best - Andy
It's a real pain to string. The string end falls down between the front where you feed it in and the back where you wrap it around.

I only use the Schroeder wraparound bridge and studs on my stoptails. I would recommend that you have the nut replaced by a good luthier.

That's interesting - Thanks for that. Did you have to widen all the slots for your 11-52's or just the lower strings?

All of them. Higher strings lightly and lower ones more strongly, but all slots needed to be widen a little.

It's a real pain to string. The string end falls down between the front where you feed it in and the back where you wrap it around.

That's interesting. Have you checked out the Gotoh 510-UB? Their stuff is usually good - although I haven't checked if the size and threads are good for a PRS yet...

I only use the Schroeder wraparound bridge and studs on my stoptails. I would recommend that you have the nut replaced by a good luthier.

That's interesting. I'll check out the Schroeder; I don't know it. I'm hoping to do the nut myself: I tend to change guitars more often nowadays, and I'd hope I can do it myself well enough, with the right files....

That's interesting. I'll check out the Schroeder; I don't know it. I'm hoping to do the nut myself: I tend to change guitars more often nowadays, and I'd hope I can do it myself well enough, with the right files....
The nut is an inexpensive part that will make everything wrong if not installed properly. My luthier, Philtone Music in Baltimore, believes that is the one part that absolutely has to be right.

The nut is an inexpensive part that will make everything wrong if not installed properly. My luthier, Philtone Music in Baltimore, believes that is the one part that absolutely has to be right.
You're right of course. My tech retired a year or so ago... I need to find another one.... !

. . . . . My tech retired a year or so ago... I need to find another one.... !

Roll your sleeves up and dive straight in. If you foul up the first time you are unlikely to make the same mistake a second time. I once cut the fat E slot far too deep in a GraphTech nut on a Les Paul. Built it back up with pencil lead filings mixed with superglue and began again. It is still on the guitar and visually you would never know (shh).

Roll your sleeves up and dive straight in. If you foul up the first time you are unlikely to make the same mistake a second time. I once cut the fat E slot far too deep in a GraphTech nut on a Les Paul. Built it back up with pencil lead filings mixed with superglue and began again. It is still on the guitar and visually you would never know (shh).
Well that's encouraging - Thank You. I'd like to think I can file a slot cleanly ... it's not brain surgery is it.......!

It is not a job that I particularly enjoy but if I can do it anyone can and I only use inexpensive files. Are you a jazz player?

It is not a job that I particularly enjoy but if I can do it anyone can and I only use inexpensive files. Are you a jazz player?

Well that's very re-assuring - I'll give it a go. 13-56 Flats is a bit of a give-away: Yes, jazz solely.

Please do let us know how you get on with the nut, and the intonation. I find this interesting.

PS You could have humored me and said "Oh my gosh how do you know I play jazz???"

Please do let us know how you get on with the nut, and the intonation. I find this interesting.

PS You could have humored me and said "Oh my gosh how do you know I play jazz???"

My first draft actually included the word "Sherlock" - but it seemed a bit disrespectful - esp after your encouragement to sort nut-filing - so I changed it...

Back