USA Tremonti vs. USA Custom 24... GAS

Coldvisions34

Found a couple sweet deals on some axes here locally. 2009 Charcoal Burst 10 top Tremonti for under $2000 and a 2010 Custom 24 Grey Black for about the same. Definitely gonna see about getting one of these but wanted to get some input from the census here. I already own a 2013 Custom 24 Charcoal Burst with 59/09's and absolutely love that guitar. I have played many Tremonti's in the past and loved the way they feel. Not a fan of the Tremonti treble pickup but thats an easy fix. I mostly play a lot of melodic hard rock and groove rock/metal type stuff.

For those styles, the CU24 is probably the better option. I find that 22nd fret access is not good at all on the 22 fret PRS guitars. They are really only playable up to 20. The Tremontis can also be pretty heavy.

You need to grow some longer fingers there, Drew. I have absolutely no problem reaching the 22nd fret on my Singlecuts (or McCarty when I had one). I am going recommend the Tremonti. You already own a Custom 24 and the Tremonti is going to be different (in a good way!) for sure. OG style Singlecuts, like the Tremonti absolutely kill for the kind of stuff you are playing: big, tight low-end, balanced mids and lots of clarity.

For those styles, the CU24 is probably the better option. I find that 22nd fret access is not good at all on the 22 fret PRS guitars. They are really only playable up to 20.

"There's no money above the 5th fret."

-- Tommy Tedesco, Studio Legend, Member of The Wrecking Crew, album credits include Elvis, Beach Boys, Monkees, Mamas and Papas, Everly Brothers, Same Cooke, Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Zappa, Sinatra, TV themes for Bonanza, Twilight Zone, Green Acres, MASH, Starchy and Hutch, Kojack, Batman, , movies include The Godfather, Jaws, Mission Impossible, Frecnch Connection, Deer Hunter, etc., etc. Passed away in '97.

I'm sure he was joking. He really meant that there's no money above the 12th fret. ;)

-- Tommy Tedesco, Studio Legend, Member of The Wrecking Crew, album credits include Elvis, Beach Boys, Monkees, Mamas and Papas, Everly Brothers, Same Cooke, Ella Fitzgerald, Frank Zappa, Sinatra, TV themes for Bonanza, Twilight Zone, Green Acres, MASH, Starchy and Hutch, Kojack, Batman, , movies include The Godfather, Jaws, Mission Impossible, Frecnch Connection, Deer Hunter, etc., etc. Passed away in '97.

I'm sure he was joking. He really meant that there's no money above the 12th fret. ;)[/QUOT

Heck, the way I play there's no money above the nut!

I'm sure he was joking. He really meant that there's no money above the 12th fret. ;)[/QUOT

Heck, the way I play there's no money above the nut!

In my case, the nut is holding the guitar!

I'd go Tremonti unless you're more or less wanting a backup guitar of the same. Not to say the 2 custom 24's won't sound a bit different, they might. SC guitars are great for some heavy groove.
Throw some 5909's in there for something less high output. My SC crushes with 5909's through the Archon.

Since you have a CU24 I would go Tremonti because one must have a Singlecut and I think you will dig the beef of a fatter 22 fret guitar ( I have a SCT and a CU24 love them both )

Back