Ugh...got the dreaded cloudy finish.....

Wow that IS ugly. I assume these are nitrocellulose finishes? It seems madness to use nitro when modern polymers are so much more durable. So you think it’s a combination of heat and humidity that causes the issue?
No they're all poly finish. I discussed this issue with many experts and one of common opinions is the moisture was trapped inside during the production process. And for some reasons when these guitars were shipped to 'appropriate environments', the humidity inside reacts in some ways and presents in form of cloudy finish.

Last edited:
What does the local luthier use for a finish, just as a matter of interest?

If you know and are allowed to say.
I wish I could, but I don't dare to ask them :D
However, the PRS in the photos were being refinished by a famous Thai luthier. I've seen his works many times and personally think that the stain he uses looks like some sort of analine dye as the grains pop so well.

DiQ4IHW.jpg

CkIBRBD.jpg

I wish I could, but I don't dare to ask them :D
However, the PRS in the photos were being refinished by a famous Thai luthier. I've seen his works many times and personally think that the stain he uses looks like some sort of analine dye as the grains pop so well.

DiQ4IHW.jpg

CkIBRBD.jpg

Intrigued of Dundee!

Am I the only one that almost kinda likes the dragon in the clouds look? I'd just pass it off as the dragon just had a massive toke.

The 3 step D’Addario planet waves detailer, wax, and spray cleaner claims to take away cloudy finish. I doubt it will do very much good, but I would try it out. At the very least you get a shiny guitar at the end. Hope this helps

The 3 step D’Addario planet waves detailer, wax, and spray cleaner claims to take away cloudy finish. I doubt it will do very much good, but I would try it out. At the very least you get a shiny guitar at the end. Hope this helps

Maybe on the outer surface.

Unfortunately moisture trapped under the lacquer means a refinish.

There is internet info that suggests certain finishes (probably nitro) can have a fresh layer of lacquer sprayed over it, or thinners, which will soften the finish enough to allow the moisture to escape. I’m sceptical about this.

That picture showing fogging only on the maple cap, stopping precisely at the glue line and not going into the mahogany at all is really intriguing. Also the one where there's fogging on the neck but not the heel cap area, almost like it 'fell like rain' onto the finish.

It seems like this rarely happens to cheap junky guitars. Is that other's experiences too? Kind of shoots holes in the theory of improperly dried wood.

Are certain parts of the world more prone to having this happen?

Back