Ugh...got the dreaded cloudy finish.....

Emesem

Is this thing terminal? I recently got a nice Natural 2004 CU24 and thought it looked fine initially but started to look closer at the back heel and can see the start of the "cloudy PRS" finish disease there, the top edge and next to the strap button. It really shows up if you shine a light on to it at the right angle.

Is there a way to arrest this? I know its irreversible (unless you want to spend $2k for a refinish) but I'm so bummed out about this and don't want it to creep onto the top (which looks ok so far).

coming to the conclusion that PRS 96-2013 are a roll of the dice and you are better off just skipping them in the used market.

Really? I’ve never heard anything negative about prs finishes...I’ll have to look this one up.

Odd. I've owned several dozen PRS's over the years and have never had this happen. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

Odd. I've owned several dozen PRS's over the years and have never had this happen. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

This is the only one of the seven that I own that it ever happened to. I take care of all of them, and I can't explain why it was just that one.

My 513 AP 2013 had this around the neck joint after like 3 or 4 years, but I think a very humid summer was the culprit
I think of it as a natural relicing, and it still plays wonderfully.

A long time ago I had a cloudy finish on a PRS McRosey but I got it refinished at the factory.

One of my very few disappointments with PRS, but this one is particularly intense a disappointment. It’s happened on 3 of my private stock guitars. I sure hope that number doesn’t grow.

The cloudiness is something discussed in other threads throughout this site.
I think it may have to do with the moisture content in the wood, pre-finishing???
Either way, it doesn't happen often at all...
I've seen it once at the shop I worked at, and they moved hundreds of PRSi…
Good luck with whichever path you take with the guitar...

Thanks, all. I'm sort of stuck with it and it was not particularly cheap as otherwise its in great shape. I'll try and keep it out in dry conditions and pray it doesn't spread further (or better yet fade away but sounds like its doubtful). A refin makes no economic sense. Better off selling it at loss and looking for a different one but I would never buy a pre-2015 PRS again and who knows what weird finish fading/flaws are in the newer batches as time goes on. PRS's dirty little secret. You'd think after 30 years in the biz, they'd figure out something as basic as paint.

I've had a couple that the finish got cloudy on. Both were confined to the back or neck pocket. I've been fortunate that it hasn't been on the top. My '97 Santana has some on the lower bout, and the back of the neck and headstock. Depends on the light you're in. Sometimes you can't really tell. As others have mentioned, I believe it has something to do with moisture under the clear coat.

I have a Hollowbody II that has it really badly ( I bought it used like this), doesn't effect the way it plays or sounds so I try not to worry about it too much.
The back, the top has it too.

3PvoARG.jpg

Wow... Have you contacted PRS about this? What year is the guitar?
It's a 2004. I bought it used so I doubt PRS would take care of it free of charge. I got it for a good price because of it. It plays great and besides the finish it's actually in great shape. I do need to replace the bridge, it has a Seymour Duncan Whole Lotta humbucker in it (too bassy) and I want to replace that with a 57/08.

You'd think after 30 years in the biz, they'd figure out something as basic as paint.

You would but... they literally paint guitars in a swamp for 8 months outta the year. :p

I’ve helped my aunt who lives in Annapolis paint a bunch over the years, and I always have to recalibrate my expectations whenever I do.

Sh!t dries differently there than what I’m used to in the Midwest, and no doubt some of the reason they invested so heavily into climate control systems in the factory has to do with that.

Not an excuse... just more of a reason.

Back