Tuning peg screws keep coming out on their own my core DGT

Dingola

I'm referring to the little black screw that screws into the end of each tuning peg. I caught one the first time it happened. It was sticking out but hadn't fallen out yet. I screwed it back in good. Then a few months later, I noticed two had done that. I had to ask for replacements. They nicely sent me a few for free. Well it happened again. Two were out. It might be the same two, but I'm not sure.

I guess I need to buy some stuff (?) on the screw to keep it from doing that.

Anyone had this happen? Not the worst problem.

I can't say I have had that happen to me. That must be one resonant guitar to get that much vibration at the headstock. The blue Loctite will work but use a very tiny amount on it or you will have trouble getting the screws back out if you ever need to take them out. A tiny dot of it applied with the point of a toothpick to the threads will be enough. I use this stuff on my Harley and one dot of it from the tube on the threads is plenty to hold a bolt in something that vibrates like a Harley.

Crap, I was hoping someone else would ask the stupid question. OK, why not...

Are you talking about the thumbscrews for the locking tuners that lock the string in place, or the screws than mount the tuner to the back of the headstock?

If it's the locking tuner screws, I wouldn't Loctite them...I'd just check regularly to make sure they are tight?

Something about this seems...screwy 🤪

Are you talking about the thumbscrews for the locking tuners that lock the string in place, or the screws than mount the tuner to the back of the headstock?

If it's the locking tuner screws, I wouldn't Loctite them...I'd just check regularly to make sure they are tight?

Something about this seems...screwy 🤪
That is a darn good question. I made the assumption, yes I know what they say about that, that he was talking about the screws that hold the tuner buttons on. If he is talking about the screws that lock the strings in, Loctite would be a horrible idea.

The OP's First Sentence States What He Is Talking About. :)
Reading it now, after the question was posed, it sounds to me like he is talking about the screws that lock the string in.

OP
If you are talking about the screws that lock the string in you can use a coin to tighten them up a little more. Don't over do it but get them pretty snug. DO NOT put anything on them.

The screws that lock the string in place on my McSoaporina occasionally come loose. Usually the low E or the D. I just give them a good snuggin' up. They aren't PRS OEM but John Mann.

So we're talking about the screws for locking then?
II Would Say Tuner Button Screws...The Ones You Twist To Tune Your Guitar. Not The Ones That Had Your Strings In Place To Wrap Around The Post

Or Another Way To Say It Is The Little Screw That Holds Those Ugly Tuning Buttons On That PRS Switched To. ;)

If its the string lock screw buttons...

If the OP situation happened with the way I use the string lock screws, it would be immediately noticeable as my strings would would fall out or not tune at all. I would think it would be the same for anyone unless there are multi wraps of string on the post, and then the locking screw doesn't matter so much.

Speaking for me only , of course!

I had the very same issue with my GOM 594 from day one. I keep a small screwdriver in the drawer next to my pick box.

II Would Say Tuner Button Screws...The Ones You Twist To Tune Your Guitar. Not The Ones That Had Your Strings In Place To Wrap Around The Post

Or Another Way To Say It Is The Little Screw That Holds Those Ugly Tuning Buttons On That PRS Switched To. ;)
The new tuner buttons are molded on to the shaft of the tuner now and don't have a screw in them. ;)

I had the very same issue with my GOM 594 from day one. I keep a small screwdriver in the drawer next to my pick box.
Which screw are you referring to? The one that holds the tuner button on? Or, the one that locks the string into the post on top of the headstock?

Which screw are you referring to? The one that holds the tuner button on? Or, the one that locks the string into the post on top of the headstock?

confused-im-so-confused.png

The new tuner buttons are molded on to the shaft of the tuner now and don't have a screw in them. ;)
My Point Being The Screw That Holds The Tuner Button. The New Tuner Button Reference Was For Emphasis On Their Ugliness (IMO) And To Visually Assist My Thought On The Matter. ;)

My Point Being The Screw That Holds The Tuner Button. The New Tuner Button Reference Was For Emphasis On Their Ugliness (IMO) And To Visually Assist My Thought On The Matter. ;)
I got that. I was just pointing out how it sort of missed the mark since the new buttons don't have screws. :) I was trying to be a smart alec. I failed.

🤪
"I'm referring to the little black screw that screws into the end of each tuning peg."

Back