Tuners

Bob Sherwood

Why would anyone opt for a pedal tuner when you can get the tuners that clip on to the head stock for as low as $10 or so. I have 2 of the Snarks and they work just fine.:408:

I have one of those too, but if you're on stage and other guitarist or basses are playing it will pick up their vibrations and make tuning difficult.

Accuracy, Best Tuner I ever used, You can definitely tell the difference.

Peterson Strobe Tuner
28B85A4C-8528-4C35-89BB-4F627DF86145-13178-000009B1909A0438_zps7d085073.jpg

Why would anyone opt for a pedal tuner when you can get the tuners that clip on to the head stock for as low as $10 or so. I have 2 of the Snarks and they work just fine.:408:

1. Because we are far too cool to have a doohickey hanging from the headstock.

2. If you have unbuffered true bypass pedals, a buffered pedal tuner will allow you to drive long cable lengths from pedalboard to amp without signal loss.

3. Because a good pedal tuner is more accurate and easier to see on a gig.

4. Because we are far too cool to have a doohickey hanging from the headstock.

Did I mention that we are far too cool to have a doohickey hanging from the headstock? ;)

Wait, I forgot to mention that having a doohickey hanging off the headstock is the opposite of the extreme badassery expected of electric guitar players.

Last edited:

2. If you have unbuffered true bypass pedals, a buffered pedal tuner will allow you to drive long cable lengths from pedalboard to amp without signal loss.

Did I mention that we are far too cool to have a doohickey hanging from the headstock? ;)

Wait, I forgot to mention that having a doohickey hanging off the headstock is the opposite of the extreme badassery expected of electric guitar players.

That pretty much sums it up for me! :laugh:

+1 TC Polytune for me.

A Petersen Strobe tuner will ruin you for other tuners!

I use a Polytune on my board, but I use a Petersen for set ups and anything requiring the best tuning. I love the guitar "sweetened" tuner mode on the Petersens. I will eventually get one of the Petersen board-friendly tuners...but I seem to keep blowing my money on PRS guitars.

You end up with $10 projectiles, if you get a little amped up!

If I'm sitting in with someone, I'll use a clip on. Otherwise, +1 for Les!

I use a TC Polytune Mini and wouldn't want it any other way. I love being able to stomp on that thing even just as a mute button. The problem with the clip-ons is that you have to turn off the volume of the guitar manually.

I have the Petersen Strobe tuner Stomp one and the TC Polytune.
I prefer the latter since you can just strum all of your strings at once.

I find both much easier than using the headstock one which I also have.

I have a Boss TU-3 and several Snark clip-ons, but mostly I use the built-in tuner on whichever multifx unit I'm using (the GR-55 also has a polyphonic tuner, which is a nice feature).

I always wrap and hang my doohickey off the headstock. If I don't, I keep stepping on it.

I love this, and its totally true!

+1 for the Peterson Strobostomp Classic ;)

ME TOO!

The clippy jobbers are wonderful for resonant instruments -- Acoustic guitars, violin, viola, cello, contrabass, etc., but sort of suck on solid-body electric instruments. It's not that they don't work (although the Peterson Strobo-Clip is the only one I've ever used that I didn't want to throw into a tire fire), but when you "plug in" you're getting an electronic representation of what the string is doing directly (and some resonance of the body of course, as the wood certainly affects the sound and therefore the signal to the tuner). WIth a clippy, you're getting the vibration that's allowed to go through the wood at two points -- one very close but very low in resonance at the nut, one very far away with a higher resonance at the pluck point near the bridge (I know - it doesn't phase me - get it? Phase?).

Blah, blah, blah -- I've tried strobing with the Strobo-clip when I couldn't grab a ST11 or something and it's fairly easy to get it reasonably close with the lower strings. The "signal" usually isn't even strong enough with a fretted 1st string to register more than just the pluck. And the body resonance, along with whatever harmonic cancellation may be occurring makes it difficult enough to get a solid enough signal to intonate.

Long story short, if the electronic signal is more accurate for intonating, it's more accurate (period).

One less thing to think about. My pedal tuner is stuck on the pedalboard with all the other crap I play through, so all's I do is plug in. I'm lucky to remember my capo and earplugs and picks, and I know I'd lose a clip-on tuner.

+1 for what Les said
also like the mute function on mine and it comes stock on my Nova system

I don't want something attached to my guitar. TC Electronic PolyTune Mini is how I roll. Tiny and 6 bangs tuning. Double win.

I always wrap and hang my doohickey off the headstock. If I don't, I keep stepping on it.

Id: I love this guy! He's obsessed with his weenie just like I am!

Ego: Ours is bigger.

Superego: Knock it off! We are a mature adult. If I catch either one of you demanding a Peter Meter, I'm outta here.

Back