Trying Hard to Like the HDRX20

I really like the Solo Dallas Schaefer replica pedal for pushing the amp when needed its close to jtm 45 similar to what acdc used and lots of 70's bands used for there wireless tones and recently discovered that was part of the acdc tones by pushing the mids. My boss chorus and space echo works just great up front. I use a quality cables. Running the bias the highest recommended sounds best and a pair of Green backs. Great with humbuckers and awesome with strat cleans. I own a few Marshalls also.

I really like the Solo Dallas Schaefer replica pedal for pushing the amp when needed its close to jtm 45 similar to what acdc used and lots of 70's bands used for there wireless tones and recently discovered that was part of the acdc tones by pushing the mids. My boss chorus and space echo works just great up front. I use a quality cables. Running the bias the highest recommended sounds best and a pair of Green backs. Great with humbuckers and awesome with strat cleans. I own a few Marshalls also.
I've owned a few Marshalls too.

I've owned some late 60's/early 70's 50 watt handwired heads and some JCM800 50 watters: three combo amps and one head.

I like to own multiples of my favorite things and at one time the JCM800 50 watt was my favorite amp.

But the HDRX doesn't sound like any Marshall I've owned.

It reminds me of a Marshall but it's not as bright and ear punishing for one thing. It's fatter and thicker sounding.

A lot of muscle to the bass, mids and upper mids when used with the "right" speakers: which for me are Celestion G12H30's.

Last edited:
I've owned a few Marshalls too.

I've owned early 70's 50 watt heads and some JCM800 50 watters: three combo amps and one head.

I like to own multiples of my favorite things and at one time the JCM800 50 watt was my favorite amp.

But the HDRX doesn't sound like any Marshall I've owned.

It reminds me of a Marshall but it's not as bright and ear punishing for one thing. It's fatter and thicker sounding.

A lot of muscle to the mids and upper mids when used with the "right" speakers: which for me are Celestion G12H30's.
My Marshall vintage Modern on the low gain channel is simply to the Hendrix with a little less bass it's a jtm 45 similar and HDM mode has more gain similar to a 800 to Van Halen tones.

I‘m not looking to rain on anyone’s parade, but one of the reasons so many types of amps exist is that some amps just aren’t right for (i.e. don’t sound good to) some people. It’s the nature of forums for folks to take offense when someone says their favorite amp doesn’t sound good. But you can bet your bottom dollar that the amp you sound best on won’t sound good to someone. Maybe a lot of someones.

Whenever I see a post like this on an amp or guitar, my first thought is “You’re not married to it. Move on!” If it doesn’t have a function you want, move on to something that does. If it doesn’t have the sound you like, move on to something that does. If it doesn’t do what you thought it would, move on! It’s not you. It’s not the gear. It’s a bad combination. Move on!

This isn’t the 50s or 60s, when there were far fewer brands or models and you played on and adapted to whatever you could find locally. There are more options than ever for guitarists to get their sound. Why fight something that isn’t making the grade for you just because other people say it should, or that it does for them? Sell it and get something you enjoy, and get back to making music instead of swimming upstream in hopes of finding something that isn’t there.

Last edited:
I‘m not looking to rain on anyone’s parade, but one of the reasons so many types of amps exist is that some amps just aren’t right for (i.e. don’t sound good to) some people. It’s the nature of forums for folks to take offense when someone says their favorite amp doesn’t sound good. But you can bet your bottom dollar that the amp you sound best on won’t sound good to someone. Maybe a lot of someones.

Whenever I see a post like this on an amp or guitar, my first thought is “You’re not married to it. Move on!” If it doesn’t have a function you want, move on to something that does. If it doesn’t have the sound you like, move on to something that does. If it doesn’t do what you thought it would, move on! It’s not you. It’s not the gear. It’s a bad combination. Move on!

This isn’t the 50s or 60s, when there were far fewer brands or models and you played on and adapted to whatever you could find locally. There are more options than ever for guitarists to get their sound. Why fight something that isn’t making the grade for you just because other people say it should, or that it does for them? Sell it and get something you enjoy, and get back to making music instead of swimming upstream in hopes of finding something that isn’t there.
People do have imaginings about how a guitar or amp is going to sound, and the longer they wait to get it, the more those expectations of what it's going to sound like get concretized inside your head.

Meanwhile the amp or guitar is just sitting in a warehouse or something being what it really is. Not your expectations.

I liked the HDRX right away. I'd been playing my old Deluxe Reverb forever and was ready for something more "rock n roll".

I didn't expect it to make me sound like Hendrix. I was hoping for those tones Jeff Beck and Eric Johnson get from their Marshalls or that Clapton got with Cream.

It was a surprise that they weren't there without using a pedal. I thought i could at least crank it up without pedals and get Clapton's Cream tones, because that's how he did it.

But I couldn't. Not without ear splitting volume.

So I plugged in my effects pedals and learned how to use the amp as it really is, not how I fantasized it being.

And it's GREAT!

Last edited:
Heres some crunch tones with my phone Solodallas pedal as slight boost at 20 sec in, really loves the cleans with a strat also.
master at 7 it was loud though:)
I think I've only had the master at 7 or higher a couple of times.

Too loud! I'm already half deaf. Don't want to lose the other half.

Cool sound! But I can get a very similar tone to that with my Hot Cake, and at a much lower volume.

Cool sound! But I can get a very similar tone to that with my Hot Cake, and at a much lower volume.
I was testing the pedal loud lol using at 10 o'clock is good

Jimi did use reverb and echo in the studio a lot! Clearly he liked his Marshalls juiced with some reverb and echo.

Adds ambience to a dry sound, especially in a small room.
Many years ago when I started recording ad music professionally, I became interested in how Eddie Kramer, Jimi's engineer, got those huge, classic sounds onto tape.

So I've read a lot, including Kramer interviews. I've also tried these techniques myself in studio recordings I've done for my own national ad music, as well as on my and friends' records.

Reverb, delay, and many effects in Jimi's studio recordings (like flanging) were always added at the console, and not in front of the amp.

Is there a difference in the result in the recorded sound? Yes. There's a bigger-sounding signal, and the reverb and delay don't water down the impact. Coming in as an aux send and return mixes wet and dry signal, and that's how the tracks were made.

Kramer ran Hendrix' miked, dry sound into the Helios console at Olympic studio, and later, at Electric Ladyland, which he helped design. To get reverb, he blended EMT Plate reverbs on an Aux send/return on the Helios console - these were invented in the late 1950s, and are giant steel plates in a box that weighs about 600 pounds (I've used them, and in fact helped install two in a friend's studio years ago). Nothing sounds like a real plate, no digital emulation does.

Delays were added with an open-reel tape machine running at 15 ips, again on a console Aux send and return, not something lo-fi like an echoplex in front of the amp. Why this technique? Keeps the guitar signal fat. It's also higher fidelity.

Here's Eddie Kramer, Hendrix' recording engineer, in his own words on the classic recording technique weighing in with his thoughts about getting a fat, in-your-face tone on records:

"Do I love just a guitar straight into an amp? You bet. One or two, three pedals, fantastic. I think the over-usage of pedals sort of masks the music. Yeah, it’s fun, it’s cool, it’s interesting, nice tone colors. But I’m a little bit, shall we say, prejudiced in terms of the purity of how things should sound or could sound without the intervention of a pedal board.

...If a band walks in and they’ve got a gazillion pedals on their pedal board, I say, “Guys, bypass everything. Let me hear you play straight through the amp. Let me just see what you’re doing. Oh, OK. Well, that sounds nice. Maybe we just add a little bit of this, and a touch of that. And all of a sudden, the sound is purer and heavier, fatter and in your face; and the message doesn’t get degraded."

It's also noteworthy that Kramer engineered tracks from Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour, Led Zeppelin II, and The Rolling Stones' Beggar's Banquet, Kiss, Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti, John Mayall, Peter Frampton, Joe Cocker, Curtis Mayfield, Santana, David Bowie, and Derek & the Dominoes using these same techniques.

If you want the Bible on recording some all time classic records, there it is.

Granted, do I get that you don't want to ape Hendrix?

Sure, of course! I don't either!

But the original Hendrix amp on which yours are based was designed to do certain things, and that's worth understanding for its own sake - it's not like there are any drawbacks in knowing this stuff. One should do one's own thing, no doubt about it, but it's nice to have an understanding as to why what was done was done.

Would Hendrix be doing other things today? Probably. But in a similar way, he might not be using the amps he was known for. As long as we're speculating counterfactually, it's possible he'd have moved on to who-knows-what just as most guitarists do. I never thought Clapton would be playing Fender tweed amps, or Bonamassa leaving his beloved Marshalls and Dumbles behind, and ditching his pedalboard.

Last edited:

That sounds really good!

I only know what works for me.

I play a Strat or Silver Sky and my 90's CE22's with Dragon 1 pickups through the HDRX 20 and Celestion speakers.

The Klon sounds great as does my TS 808 altho my TS 808 isn't on my pedalboard these days. The Dover Drive and Hot Cake are.

I also like to use just a little compression from a Wampler Ego but it's not a must.

Basically I set the amp for a cleanish/semi-clean tone when my overdrive and boost pedals are off, and use my pedals to get progressively more saturated lead tones with the hot humbuckers in the CE22's.

My Silver Sky sounds great through the Dover Drive. Gets those Eric Johnson sort of violin tones and can be set for fuzzier tones too.

I think of the Hot Cake as being great with the CE22 for mildly overdriven Rock and Southern Rock solos and rhythm. Think ZZ Top, Allman Brothers...
You seem to understand how the great players like Hendrix and others set up their Marshall amps. They were pretty clean with just a little grit. The wilder sounds came with the pedals. These aren’t easy amps to master, but as you know patience is rewarded.

Many years ago when I started recording ad music professionally, I became interested in how Eddie Kramer, Jimi's engineer, got those huge, classic sounds onto tape.

So I've read a lot, including Kramer interviews. I've also tried these techniques myself in studio recordings I've done for my own national ad music, as well as on my and friends' records.

Reverb, delay, and many effects in Jimi's studio recordings (like flanging) were always added at the console, and not in front of the amp.

Is there a difference in the result in the recorded sound? Yes. There's a bigger-sounding signal, and the reverb and delay don't water down the impact. Coming in as an aux send and return mixes wet and dry signal, and that's how the tracks were made.

Kramer ran Hendrix' miked, dry sound into the Helios console at Olympic studio, and later, at Electric Ladyland, which he helped design. To get reverb, he blended EMT Plate reverbs on an Aux send/return on the Helios console - these were invented in the late 1950s, and are giant steel plates in a box that weighs about 600 pounds (I've used them, and in fact helped install two in a friend's studio years ago). Nothing sounds like a real plate, no digital emulation does.

Delays were added with an open-reel tape machine running at 15 ips, again on a console Aux send and return, not something lo-fi like an echoplex in front of the amp. Why this technique? Keeps the guitar signal fat. It's also higher fidelity.

Here's Eddie Kramer, Hendrix' recording engineer, in his own words on the classic recording technique weighing in with his thoughts about getting a fat, in-your-face tone on records:

"Do I love just a guitar straight into an amp? You bet. One or two, three pedals, fantastic. I think the over-usage of pedals sort of masks the music. Yeah, it’s fun, it’s cool, it’s interesting, nice tone colors. But I’m a little bit, shall we say, prejudiced in terms of the purity of how things should sound or could sound without the intervention of a pedal board.

...If a band walks in and they’ve got a gazillion pedals on their pedal board, I say, “Guys, bypass everything. Let me hear you play straight through the amp. Let me just see what you’re doing. Oh, OK. Well, that sounds nice. Maybe we just add a little bit of this, and a touch of that. And all of a sudden, the sound is purer and heavier, fatter and in your face; and the message doesn’t get degraded."

It's also noteworthy that Kramer engineered tracks from Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour, Led Zeppelin II, and The Rolling Stones' Beggar's Banquet, Kiss, Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti, John Mayall, the Rolling Stones, Peter Frampton, Joe Cocker, Curtis Mayfield, Santana, David Bowie, and Derek & the Dominoes using these same techniques.

If you want the Bible on recording some all time classic records, there it is.

Granted, do I get that you don't want to ape Hendrix?

Sure, of course! I don't either!

But the original Hendrix amp on which yours are based was designed to do certain things, and that's worth understanding for its own sake - it's not like there are any drawbacks in knowing this stuff. One should do one's own thing, no doubt about it, but it's nice to have an understanding as to why what was done was done.

Would Hendrix be doing other things today? Probably. But in a similar way, he might not be using the amps he was known for. As long as we're speculating counterfactually, it's possible he'd have moved on to who-knows-what just as most guitarists do. I never thought Clapton would be playing Fender tweed amps, or Bonamassa leaving his beloved Marshalls and Dumbles behind, and ditching his pedalboard.
Great insights. I would rather have an amp with a great clean sound and turn it up just to the point of breakup. If that is too loud I would use a very light overdrive like a Timmy to get there. Then color or boost it as necessary. I am done with multi channel amps. They just don’t work for me anymore.

Exactly why I swore off 50-100 watt channel switching amps for classic Fender and Supro single channel amps with no more than 25-35 watts.

I have one of these its good for a little more grit with humbuckers, cleans its awesome especially HRDX the tone just pops out 3D'ish while staying clean.
Love this pedal with any amp, not particularly as a boost, but as an “always on” sweetener last pedal before the amp.

Great insights. I would rather have an amp with a great clean sound and turn it up just to the point of breakup. If that is too loud I would use a very light overdrive like a Timmy to get there. Then color or boost it as necessary. I am done with multi channel amps. They just don’t work for me anymore.

I've become a single-channel amp guy, the way I started out in the '60s, though I have a Mesa Lone Star I use the way I would use a single channel amp, with the global master switched out of the circuit, the clean channel master turned up enough to be minimally invasive, and the gain control used for most volume needs.

I use the Fillmore, which really is a single channel with two settings, the same way.

But my Big Two are the PRS HXDA and DG30. I kinda have the other ones because...I dunno, I like amps! ;)

I have one of these its good for a little more grit with humbuckers, cleans its awesome especially HRDX the tone just pops out 3D'ish while staying clean.

That is a fantastic pedal, sir!

Exactly why I swore off 50-100 watt channel switching amps for classic Fender and Supro single channel amps with no more than 25-35 watts.
You can get plenty of volume from a 25-35 Watt amp!

I generally like amps in that range, but have a 100W Lone Star and 50W Fillmore because there are times I want that big iron sound, and a little more headroom.

You can get plenty of volume from a 25-35 Watt amp!

I generally like amps in that range, but have a 100W Lone Star and 50W Fillmore because there are times I want that big iron sound, and a little more headroom.
I understand . Keeping my 50W 2x12 amp for the same reason. Well that and because I don’t want to move it since it weighs a freaking ton.

I've become a single-channel amp guy, the way I started out in the '60s, though I have a Mesa Lone Star I use the way I would use a single channel amp, with the global master switched out of the circuit, the clean channel master turned up enough to be minimally invasive, and the gain control used for most volume needs.

I use the Fillmore, which really is a single channel with two settings, the same way.

But my Big Two are the PRS HXDA and DG30. I kinda have the other ones because...I dunno, I like amps! ;)

That is a fantastic pedal, sir!
If there was one channel switching amp I would play it would be the Lone Star. And I thought really hard about the Fillmore but the price was a little too dear and went for a Supro Keeley Custom 12 instead. It matches up well with my Vibrolux.
The DG 30 is still on my list…

I understand . Keeping my 50W 2x12 amp for the same reason. Well that and because I don’t want to move it since it weighs a freaking ton.
That last comment made me crack up, because I thought about selling my Lone Star 212 combo before I re-tubed it with NOS tubes.

At 85 pounds, I didn't want to face carrying it up the stairs, boxing it up, etc!

Figuring buying NOS tubes was less of a problem in the long run than back injury, and discretion being the better part of valor, I sprung for the tubes. Thankfully, they improved the amp to the point where I really love it.

It's funny how some amps are more sensitive to little changes like that than other amps, even of the same brand. I put NOS in the Fillmore after getting it, and the improvement is there, but isn't as transformative. I'd recommend NOS to other Fillmore owners, but on the Lone Star I think they're a necessity.

Back