Trem equipped tone vs hardtails

Ticojpunk

I'm looking to buy my first PRS, and I'm curious about what to expect tone-wise from a Tremolo equipped PRS vs a hardtail design.

The reason I'm asking is my two points of reference, which are a Gibson SG and a Fender American HSS Strat.

My Strat is noticeably less defined and articulate than my SG is. They have have a Duncan JB in the bridge. The Strat tone control bypasses the tone pot completely when at 10 ( clicks into place), so pot value is not a factor here.

It's definitely a lack of sustain and punch from the Strat that I do get with the SG.

I'm wondering if a trem equipped PRS would have the same difference vs a hard tail PRS. Or, what should I expect to find as differences between the two in terms of sustain, punch, brightness, etc, etc.

Perhaps the PRS trem system is just better designed and doesn't suffer the same effects at the Fender 2-post trem I have on my American Strat.

And finally, thanks for taking the time to read this hopefully answer!

I think PRS makes great tremolos. The trems on my CE-22 sound great and come back in tune pretty much every time, as do the trems on my SE Silver Skys.

I set mine to float...so I can pull up and raise the 12th fret harmonic at least a 1/2 step, and also lower the pitch, do a little dive bombing or add vibrato ala Jeff Beck.

But the guitar sounds deeper and more solid with the trem decked. Set so it doesn't float but only lowers the pitch.

I'd recommend the SE Silver Sky. It's a great guitar and very affordable.

MY CE-22's have a tremolo. My CU-22 does not.

I think the CE-22's have a livlier, more expressive sound.

The CU-22 in my profile picture has a fixed bridge/tailpiece and a more solid sound with no warbling.

Less like a Strat and more like a Les Paul.

One advantage to the CU-22 without a tremolo is that I when I bend a string with my fingers I don't have to bend it as far to reach the note I want to bend the string too.

Just as it does on a Strat, the tremolo springs in back on the CE-22 or CE-24 allow the tremolo to rock forward slightly when I bend strings with my fingers and I have to bend them a little further across the fingerboard to compensate.

It's not a big deal. If you tighten the springs around the back so the tremolo is decked and won't pull up but will only lower the pitch, that affect is minimized when the spring tension is greater.

But I like it to float.

Last edited:
I prefer the sound of the PRS with trem , there is a bit of natural reverb that happens with them ( to my ear )
The Wrap bridge sounds great , I just like the Trem better

Both sound great. PRS makes a killer trem that manages to keep alot of the fullness you get with a stoptail. So tone wise....both sound great.

They do feel and respond and little differently, however. In the same guitar, I find the trem version to be a bit spongier...both in feel and attack. The hardtail having more percussive attack. Trem blooms a bit more, hardtail is more immediate. For my personal playing style (alot of muted style, alternate picking), I prefer hardtail PRS's. But I have certainly had examples of both I love!

Both sound great. PRS makes a killer trem that manages to keep alot of the fullness you get with a stoptail. So tone wise....both sound great.

They do feel and respond and little differently, however. In the same guitar, I find the trem version to be a bit spongier...both in feel and attack. The hardtail having more percussive attack. Trem blooms a bit more, hardtail is more immediate. For my personal playing style (alot of muted style, alternate picking), I prefer hardtail PRS's. But I have certainly had examples of both I love!
Very helpful reply. Thank you!

I really like having a Trem, but i also really like the immediacy of a hard tail. PRS are likely the most versatile guitars out there, but I for this aspect I think you just gotta make a choice, or have one of both I suppose.

Thanks... I do think I want to start with a hardtail, but now on to choosing the model!

Back