Traded off...

markd21

...my ME-V for some other toys. You may think I'm crazy, but I decided to go all SE with upgrades. I'm getting the following, all new, which is cool...

1. SE 594 double cut
2. SE Hollowbody II Piezo
3. SE DGT

Then there's enough cash left for parts upgrades. I'm doing Core pickup rings and locking tuners all the way around. 57/08s will go in the HBII. Jury is out on the other two. I was thinking of grabbing the 58/15LT pickups for the 594, but the TCI process ruins the sound for me.

On the DGT I'll upgrade to a Mannmade bridge. I'll probably consider hybrid hardware too, like I did with my SE245, which is still my favorite guitar.

Tough choice, with much turmoil. But, I stopped using the ME-V and I want instruments to play, not look at.

Markd21 I was reading some older posts about the S2 Standard 22's and I saw you were chiming in on those with high praise for those guitars. Still playing 'em?

Didn't gel with the MEV?

Markd21 I was reading some older posts about the S2 Standard 22's and I saw you were chiming in on those with high praise for those guitars. Still playing 'em?

Didn't gel with the MEV?

I love the Standard 22s with the #7 pickups. Once PRS went with the satin finishes and changed the pickups and raised the price I moved on from them. They were PERFECT for me. Not anymore.

PRS upped the game with the SEs. I can get a nice playing guitar, upgrade the important parts and have something I love for the cost of an S2 Standard.

As far as the ME-V, it just didn't do what I was hoping it would. I could never get the right balance between pickups to have great SC and HB sounds. I had to choose. I was constantly tweaking pickup heights. In the end, I just longed for simplicity.

I'd try some John Suhr SSV and SSH+ humbuckers in one of those SE's.

Whatever music you'd play on Dragon I's you can play on the Suhrs.

But the Suhrs also do great clear tones and 60's blues tones.

Yep, the 3 SE you've chosen will cover a lot of ground. Especially with those upgrades. They really are a lot better nowadays.

I can definitely see that regarding the ME-V constantly tweaking and tweaking to find that perfect balance but there's always something that's missing.

The simplicity and stripped down nature of the standard 22 really appeals to me. Played one of the satin ones with the 58/15s pickups and it was obscenely enjoyable. But not for what they're asking for them, you're right. Never tried the #7 pickups but many seem to like them.

Follow your bliss!
You didn't get a core HB II, Angelus or Tonare? I never trade down(up/Sideways, only)!
...my ME-V for some other toys. You may think I'm crazy, but I decided to go all SE with upgrades. I'm getting the following, all new, which is cool...

1. SE 594 double cut
3. SE DGT

Then there's enough cash left for parts upgrades. I'm doing Core pickup rings and locking tuners all the way around. 57/08s will go in the HBII. Jury is out on the other two. I was thinking of grabbing the 58/15LT pickups for the 594, but the TCI process ruins the sound for me.

On the DGT I'll upgrade to a Mannmade bridge. I'll probably consider hybrid hardware too, like I did with my SE245, which is still my favorite guitar.

Tough choice, with much turmoil. But, I stopped using the ME-V and I want instruments to play, not look at.

That's cool for you. I've had the nice guitars. I don't really care anymore. I chased the Core guitars. I've had almost every model at some point. I can no longer justify spending thousands on a guitar.

I'm currently doing an album using a Esquire I built myself. It kills. It cost 1/2 of my ME-V and I play it more. For me, it's about what I need to do a job. My instruments are tools. My clients don't know if my guitar cost $1500 or $15000. They just want good sound and performance on their tracks.

Ironically, the only PRS guitars that I have owned that I would record with are the SC245 57/08 LTD, the Vela and the CE24 Semi Hollow. When I stopped playing live, I stopped playing most of my PRS Core guitars. They were bragging pieces. I was coveting and collecting them because I could.

Everyone is different, and I have decided I can get all I need from an import with some changes that matter to me. Weird, I know, but after 42 years of playing it's gone back to basics for doing my little cloud-based session projects.

1. SE 594 double cut
3. SE DGT

We're gonna have to shoot out that 594 vs my core.

I would go the other direction if I found a trade that worked. I would trade some of my high end guitars for a private stock if I found one I really liked and could make a deal work. I keep feeling like I want to consolidate upwards.

I did this I sold off a few cores to buy my first Private stock guitar. I don't regret it at all because my PS guitar is on another level of playability and resonance. I loved my cores...but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. OH wait......I did...I went on a second purge of non-PRS guitars to get another private stock. All those guitars I purged I loved...but both private stocks ended up being keepers and definitely worth the trouble and time.

Back