Touch

daveyisgreat

Incompetent Hack
I've been having hand and wrist issues lately from various work related repetitive stress type ailments. I warm up before I play, but I've had to adjust my style lately. I used to play with a very heavy touch but I've been working on using a much lighter touch when I play. It seems to help, plus I almost feel more fluid and mobile across the neck. Anyone else have to adjust their touch/playing style for any reasons?

I would actually recommend to others that they could try playing with a lighter touch! It does seem to help me.

I've been having hand and wrist issues lately from various work related repetitive stress type ailments. I warm up before I play, but I've had to adjust my style lately. I used to play with a very heavy touch but I've been working on using a much lighter touch when I play. It seems to help, plus I almost feel more fluid and mobile across the neck. Anyone else have to adjust their touch/playing style for any reasons?

I would actually recommend to others that they could try playing with a lighter touch! It does seem to help me.

That's exactly what I've been working on and it was not just because of my pinched nerved & bad disk from the same work related issues, I did have to do it to keep playing but I've read and found that the less force you have to use to do what you want to on the fretboard the more your body frees up to connect with your mind. I've also read pro players talk about the same subject, I read Carlos Santana talk about playing guitar and thinking about brushing his daughters hair, something about if he brushes too hard or gets a tangle she'll squeal, and he said he applied the same approach to playing his PRS.

Breathing is another huge factor that is overlooked by many guitarists.

I also preach the benefits of acupuncture, without it I probably would have given up by now. Good luck with your endeavor to keep playing.

I also preach the benefits of acupuncture, without it I probably would have given up by now. Good luck with your endeavor to keep playing.

I was going to suggest this as well. I have some sort of weird shoulder issue which causes my hand to lock up with an immense amount of pain in my wrist and forearm (it's not carpal tunnel, the problem is in the shoulder), and acupuncture seems to work the best so far... that, and zapping the hell out of my shoulder and arm with a TENS unit during a flare up.

Been suffering from arthritis and shoulder problems for years.In my younger days I was very aggressive until I developed problems, I took my strong gauge from 11's to 9's and drop tuned my guitar 1/2 step slacking the strings a little you may try this I hope you get it sorted out good luck keep playing best therapy.

One other thing I forgot to mention is to avoid playing your electrics unplugged and don't be bashful on the volume. Playing at low volume or unplugged makes you pluck a bit harder and the picking hand is half the equation when it comes to touch. You'll find your left hand being more aggressive when you pick harder, don't know why but it does.

Hope all the tips help!!!

I was going to suggest this as well. I have some sort of weird shoulder issue which causes my hand to lock up with an immense amount of pain in my wrist and forearm (it's not carpal tunnel, the problem is in the shoulder), and acupuncture seems to work the best so far... that, and zapping the hell out of my shoulder and arm with a TENS unit during a flare up.

I know how you feel, mine is from my neck/shoulder area but radiates down the arm & my index finger especially (makes it hard to hold a pick at times). Next you see your doctor talk about a spine exam, if you nip it in the bud you can do physical therapy to combat the effects of spine & shoulder problems cause a lot of times shoulder problems stem from that cervical area. I'm going to look into that TENS unit too.

All you have to do to decide whether a light touch makes for a different style of play, is to clench a fist and then move your fingers a little while it's still clenched. Then unclench your fist, and move your fingers. It should be easier with the hand looser.

I find that I can do more subtle kinds of expressions, like vibrato, with a lighter touch, but I have to remind myself sometimes, too.

I had to learn to vary my touch on piano, touch is very important in the classical music world, but it translates nicely to any stringed instrument.

This was me exactly. I had a tendency to fret very hard to the point of sometimes fretting notes out of tune and I used big(ish) strings. I tore up the frets on my first two electric guitars. I think it was a holdover from learning on an acoustic with permanently high action. It eventually led to problems with cramps, fatigue and pain in my left hand.

I switched to mainly playing 9-46 on my 25.5" scale guitars and 9.5-44 on my 25" scale guitars and that both enabled and almost forced a lighter touch. Very little hand issues now and I'm very easy on frets!

Talk about fluid playing, watch some of Billy Gibbons and his famous 7 gauge strings. I saw ZZ Top in concert recently and I was mesmerized by how smoothly he glided on the fretboard. It's like the guitar almost played itself.

Back