Torero! (pronounced with trilled r)

Furtive

Knight of Bangin'ess
So the Bullfighter arrived yesterday... another one that was too cheap to pass on, figured if I didn't like it I could easily flip it and get my money back. Back in the 80s and 90s, I was an Ibanez guy, and had two guits with this setup (substitute Original Edge for OFR), so a double locking Floyd is very familiar territory for me. I didn't notice the lack of fretboard markers when playing.

It's funny to me how different guitars bring out different types of playing from me. 15 minutes after plugging in, I get a goofy grin as I realize I'm tapping. I haven't done that since.... the last time I picked up a Floyd guitar. The feel of the Torero is different from most of the Ibz, Fen super Strats, and Washburn Ns I've owned, but really reminds me of my second 6 string, bought new back in 1988: a metallic gray 1986 Ibanez Pro Line 2550. Similar neck through heel, body contours, and ebony board, it was the cover guitar for the 86 Ibz catalog, and obviously a best effort from Fuji-Gen. 28 years later, a used Torero from Korea can easily hang with those quality old shredders made in Japan.

EMGs are what they are... I'll figure out how to get a good sound out of them through my rig. Probably while trying to hack an Extreme cover :D
DSC_0424_zpsj0reb2bf.jpg

Good looker, too. How's your collection coming along?

Thanks, Les - was hoping to find a white one, but the black fmt was 2nd choice. I agree, it looks sharp.

Collection continues to progress - got a lock on an 89 maple cap alder body CE yesterday; years 86-91 are accounted for with two Standards, two CEs, and two EGs (in that sequence). That chunk is showing a palette of different body woods, neck woods, pickups, and even tuners. "Infinity + 2" tones on tap from that selection.

On the SE side, the Torero and CU247 are 2/3 of the PRS modern metal trifecta, missing piece being the Mushok baritone. As you can see, I dig the Torero. It leads me to pull stale old 80s licks and tricks out of my hat, and I enjoy that. The CU247 is a really neat guitar, but it needs heavier strings. Does generate some nice tones that border on piano-ish (two or three steps down from "piano-like"), stock SE pickups continue to impress me. Some of the best stock Asian pickups I've ever heard, imo. Hope to find a Mushok, but also like the idea of the new semi hollow SE baritone soapbars. See which way that goes :)

The amps getting plugged into are a `78 Marshall Town & Country (with Lead 12 running in stereo), and a `55 Fender Super 5F4 (6V6). Effects are via Zoom CDR-70.

Nice! Just a thought, try some EMGx or Blackouts in there. Much more organic sounding and less compressed.

I kind of wish I bought a second Torero when they were closing these out cheap. I like the wide flat neck. They are priced more used now than I payed for mine new. I swapped an EMG 57/66 set into it and love it now as they sound like active PAF's. I play it for hours and just smile the way it sounds through the Marshall.

I kind of wish I bought a second Torero when they were closing these out cheap. I like the wide flat neck. They are priced more used now than I payed for mine new. I swapped an EMG 57/66 set into it and love it now as they sound like active PAF's. I play it for hours and just smile the way it sounds through the Marshall.

I uh... like the sound of that EMG selection! I'll have to look into those.

Good looking guitar, I've always wanted a red or white one of those. As a side note, my belly is just big enough that I can't really see the fretboard that well any way, so no fret inlays don't bother me at all.

Back