Torero! (pronounced with trilled r)

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Furtive, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Furtive

Furtive Knight of Bangin'ess

So the Bullfighter arrived yesterday... another one that was too cheap to pass on, figured if I didn't like it I could easily flip it and get my money back. Back in the 80s and 90s, I was an Ibanez guy, and had two guits with this setup (substitute Original Edge for OFR), so a double locking Floyd is very familiar territory for me. I didn't notice the lack of fretboard markers when playing.

It's funny to me how different guitars bring out different types of playing from me. 15 minutes after plugging in, I get a goofy grin as I realize I'm tapping. I haven't done that since.... the last time I picked up a Floyd guitar. The feel of the Torero is different from most of the Ibz, Fen super Strats, and Washburn Ns I've owned, but really reminds me of my second 6 string, bought new back in 1988: a metallic gray 1986 Ibanez Pro Line 2550. Similar neck through heel, body contours, and ebony board, it was the cover guitar for the 86 Ibz catalog, and obviously a best effort from Fuji-Gen. 28 years later, a used Torero from Korea can easily hang with those quality old shredders made in Japan.

EMGs are what they are... I'll figure out how to get a good sound out of them through my rig. Probably while trying to hack an Extreme cover :D
    [​IMG]

2. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Good looker, too. How's your collection coming along?

3. Furtive

Thanks, Les - was hoping to find a white one, but the black fmt was 2nd choice. I agree, it looks sharp.

Collection continues to progress - got a lock on an 89 maple cap alder body CE yesterday; years 86-91 are accounted for with two Standards, two CEs, and two EGs (in that sequence). That chunk is showing a palette of different body woods, neck woods, pickups, and even tuners. "Infinity + 2" tones on tap from that selection.

On the SE side, the Torero and CU247 are 2/3 of the PRS modern metal trifecta, missing piece being the Mushok baritone. As you can see, I dig the Torero. It leads me to pull stale old 80s licks and tricks out of my hat, and I enjoy that. The CU247 is a really neat guitar, but it needs heavier strings. Does generate some nice tones that border on piano-ish (two or three steps down from "piano-like"), stock SE pickups continue to impress me. Some of the best stock Asian pickups I've ever heard, imo. Hope to find a Mushok, but also like the idea of the new semi hollow SE baritone soapbars. See which way that goes :)

The amps getting plugged into are a `78 Marshall Town & Country (with Lead 12 running in stereo), and a `55 Fender Super 5F4 (6V6). Effects are via Zoom CDR-70.

4. CantankerousCarl

CantankerousCarl Occasionally Onery Member

Very cool...and the journey continues!

5. shupe13

shupe13 New Member

Congrats!

6. Bowtiefanatc

Bowtiefanatc #NeverGibson

Nice! Just a thought, try some EMGx or Blackouts in there. Much more organic sounding and less compressed.

7. SteelHorse

SteelHorse New Member

I kind of wish I bought a second Torero when they were closing these out cheap. I like the wide flat neck. They are priced more used now than I payed for mine new. I swapped an EMG 57/66 set into it and love it now as they sound like active PAF's. I play it for hours and just smile the way it sounds through the Marshall.

8. Furtive

I uh... like the sound of that EMG selection! I'll have to look into those.

9. jimistephen

jimistephen New Member

Good looking guitar, I've always wanted a red or white one of those. As a side note, my belly is just big enough that I can't really see the fretboard that well any way, so no fret inlays don't bother me at all.