Tony McManus

vchizzle

Zomb!e Nine, DFZ

Ten years or so later, I still believe Tony’s Mysterious Boundaries album to be the finest recorded acoustic guitar tone of all time. I also believe his tone and playing sounds best on his PRS signature model. I don’t even own a PRS acoustic so it’s not brand loyalty on my end. I also can’t play fingerstyle at all so maybe my opinion is invalid. I’m lucky to have seen him play live a handful of times. Maybe one day I’ll stumble across across a PRS acoustic that lights it up and be in the position to pull the trigger.

I'm a flat pick player, but I find my PS - even with different body and neck woods - sounds an awful lot like McManus' whether I play it with a pick or fingers (I'm way better with a pick).

So yes, you can come close to that tone with a pick.

Whether played with pick or fingers, they're great guitars. Incidentally, I love that record. The top on my PS acoustic had McManus' name penciled on it when my dealer snagged it (he did ask Paul Smith first). So maybe it's similar to the ones he liked.

I'm a flat pick player, but I find my PS - even with different body and neck woods - sounds an awful lot like McManus' whether I play it with a pick or fingers (I'm way better with a pick).

So yes, you can come close to that tone with a pick.

Whether played with pick or fingers, they're great guitars. Incidentally, I love that record. The top on my PS acoustic had McManus' name penciled on it when my dealer snagged it (he did ask Paul Smith first). So maybe it's similar to the ones he liked.
I’ve played a few PS acoustics that were really great to my ears. One in particular I wish I could have bought. Admittedly, most acoustic guitars don’t float my boat, I’m talking every brand here- even my favorites. Acoustic’s are so individual. That probably says something about the top on yours!

I’ve played a few PS acoustics that were really great to my ears. One in particular I wish I could have bought. Admittedly, most acoustic guitars don’t float my boat, I’m talking every brand here- even my favorites. Acoustic’s are so individual. That probably says something about the top on yours!
At one time I liked playing acoustic more than electric. When I got into electric guitars and amps that delivered better tone than I was previously used to, that got flipped around.

But your post did inspire some acoustic playing this morning!

At one time I liked playing acoustic more than electric. When I got into electric guitars and amps that delivered better tone than I was previously used to, that got flipped around.

I have a couple of acoustics with tone interesting enough that I think you would want to play them.

I’ve got a pile of electrics that I love. I’m on the other side rediscovering my acoustic playing. I’ve only picked up an electric guitar once in the past 2 months!:eek:

Back