Tone Differences SE Line - Zebrawood/35th Anni/Custom 24

elpohl

Hello everybody,
First post here. I'm a huge fan of Steven Wilson and ever since I knew that he played with a PRS Custom 22 I became more interested in this brand.
I know have the wallet necessary to join the club. This comes at a great time because I basically stopped playing with my guitar for exactly a year, and this new guitar will give me that extra motivation that I need.
Anyways, Steven Wilson plays with the Custom 22, and I understand that it's a bit warmer than the Custom 24. Honestly I don't need 24 frets... However...
The 35th Anniversary looks fantastic, as well as the Zebrawood version of the Custom 24. I'm talking SE models (I can't afford more).
However, what tonal differences and overall quality if applicable could I expect between the 35th Anni, the Zebra, and the "regular" SE Custom 24?
Thanks in advance for your comments. They will be of great help.
Cheers,
Paul

Hey Paul,
Since these are all veneer tops, any tonal contributions by that thin piece of wood, would be negligible IMO. The differences would be largely in the pups and switching options. The 35th Ann SE Cu24 has the TCI pups, and mini toggles for true single coil option on either pup separately. The SE Cu24, both Zebra and Regular, have the 85-15 S pups and a 3-way blade switch, pull up tone for single coil option, both pups only. I have both the regular and the 35th, they are both fantastic and quite different sounding. Simply put, the TCI pups remind me of a more vintage smooth sound, while the 85-15 S are more modern, a bit more edgy.

There is a SE Custom 22 as well!

I can’t speak to the 35th as I’ve only seen them in videos (which sounded great) but I’ve had a zebrawood and a regular SE Custom 24 and there’s no sound difference. Both have a plain maple cap with a very thin laminate of either zebra or flamed maple over the top. The Zebra looks real cool for sure, and IIRC has a bound neck and headstock as well.

Hello both of you,
Got it, so the Zebra is just for the looks then.
So now it´s all about whether to go for the 35th or a regular Custom 24. Maybe even a Custom 22. I´m trying to listen to all of these recordings of different tone comparisons between these last two. Geez, it ain´t simple.

Hello Paul and welcome to the forum,
A few months ago I, too, was looking to buy my first PRS. My budget was at about 1000 euros so I was looking at the SE line myself. I ended up going for the 35 Anniversary SE Custom. For me, I found it is worth the extra cash. The stunning black gold burst finish and the mesmerizing abalone bird inlays make me want to look at it all day. The coil split mini toggles offer me an extra variety of quality tones that I wouldn’t have been able to achieve with a regular SE. The real treat for me are the TCI pickups. They were quite a surprise. I love them. They sound so much better live than any review I found on the internet. I play music ranging form blues to metal and the TCIs gives me a warm distortion with a vintage undertone that I can’t get enough of. All this along with the great playability that the SE line is known for in a special anniversary edition of a PRS guitar. This is my humble first impression of my 35th Anniversary SE. I'm sure whichever guitar you end buying you'll love it.

Great review Black-Viper75. I just noticed yours in your avatar, looks killer! Here is mine:

50008962577_3209a64193_o.jpg

Hello everybody,
Thank you all for your great insight. I also like the sense of community here. I have the feeling that once you buy a PRS you don't leave the bandwagon. And I'm beginning to understand why...
I went to the only local shop that had an SE Cu 24 35th Anni in stock. The moment I touched it I felt the great craftmanship that was put into building it. Absolutely beautiful. A treat to play.
The guitar won me over. I would have liked to test a Cu 22, but I can't find one of those where I'm at. It doesn't matter.
Now I'm wondering where should I buy it...
On one hand, I'm really into supporting the local shops. And I feel that they provided me with a good service by letting me play.
However, the guitar is not in 100% perfect condition. It's not that it's scratched or anything, but there are 2 really tiny spots where the veneer is damaged, and the main toggle switch is quite wobbly, with the paint faded already. Am not used to spending this much on a guitar, so I feel like I can be picky about it.
The price is 999€, same as the online tag (free shipping). Although they were not specially kind, they did offer to change the strings, clean it and set it.
Still, does it make sense to purchase it online? Will the packaging hold? Will I need to set it up properly once it´s in my hands? Will it be in perfect condition?
Let me know what you think.
Cheers,
Paul

Still, does it make sense to purchase it online? Will the packaging hold? Will I need to set it up properly once it´s in my hands? Will it be in perfect condition?
Hello again Paul,
I'm happy to hear that you really liked the 35th Anniversary SE. After everything you stated it does make sense wanting to make your purchase online. And that's what I'd do in your situation, if I may add my opinion. I'd ask the the online shop that I'd place my order with what their return policy is if the instrument is damaged upon arrival. As far as the packaging goes, my 35th Anniversary guitar was in a brown gigbag snuggled with pieces of styrofoam around the edges so it wouldn’t move around in the box while transported. Opening the gigback the guitar was wrapped in protective foam wrap for extra protection and had syrofoam cover over the toggle switch. I didn't need to do any setup out of the box whatsoever. It played like a dream right out of the box.
Keep us updated on what you decide to do.

Hello everybody,
I finally purchased my 35th Anniversary SE. I feel like an accomplished human being. It's ridiculous. Maybe some people feel the same when they purchase their first Porsche. Or their first 50+ USD bottle of wine. I don't know. I'm high on life. Now I need to honor this beast with some advanced licks. Geez, it's so beautiful. I purchased it in my local shop. I mean, I really felt like I needed to support the local shop, and they really went the extra mile for me.
Thanks again all for your comments. I hope to see you again in some other threads. So happy to be part of this.
Cheers, from France,
Paul

Hello everybody,
I finally purchased my 35th Anniversary SE. I feel like an accomplished human being. It's ridiculous. Maybe some people feel the same when they purchase their first Porsche. Or their first 50+ USD bottle of wine. I don't know. I'm high on life. Now I need to honor this beast with some advanced licks. Geez, it's so beautiful. I purchased it in my local shop. I mean, I really felt like I needed to support the local shop, and they really went the extra mile for me.
Thanks again all for your comments. I hope to see you again in some other threads. So happy to be part of this.
Cheers, from France,
Paul
Fantastique!

Hello everybody,
Cheers, from France,
Paul

That's awesome! Congrats!

Hello everybody,
Cheers, from France,
Paul

That’s braw, congratulations and welcome!

Hey y'all,
I'm feeling silly posting this question but... can someone help me out figuring which switches are for what? I think I got it but just want to make sure.
Thanks in advance! :)

Hey y'all,
I'm feeling silly posting this question but... can someone help me out figuring which switches are for what? I think I got it but just want to make sure.
Thanks in advance! :)
The mini toggle switches correspond one for each pickup. When the switch is down the corresponding pickup is in humbucker mode. When the switch is up it splits the pickup and puts it in true single coil mode, for example you can play with one pickup in humbucker mode and the other in single coil mode. These switches give nice options to experiment with for new tones. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Back