Thoughts on SE Santana & SE Standard Santana

Frank McNerney

Shoitza
I currently have a SE Custom 24 (which is awesome) and I'm thinking about a SE Santana - because I think it's the most beautiful body shape of all the PRS models. Anyway - trying finding either model in a music store - I live in the bay area and there are lots of great PRS dealers but I can't find one that has a Santana SE (either) in stock - what's up with that?

And why only 1 color each?

It appears the Santana doesn't have the demand of the other SE models?

As far as comparing the two - I'd love to hear some thoughts. It looks to me like the differences are that the Standard doesn't have the maple top of the 24 frets. Otherwise they look identical - am I missing something.

As anyone played them both? What do you think?

Finally - I'm going to wait for the 2019 models and see if anything changes. But I'd love to hear what others think about any of this.

Thanks
Frank

You ask that for me too Frank. I also think they are the best looking model. I have never played one. I would like to compare them to a Mira which is similar looking too.

I have a USA Mira and am selling a USA Santana Retro in Blood Orange finish on the verb... I liked the Santana,
but I had too much custom ordered guitars coming in... If SE Santana plays half as good as the USA, it's like butter....

I don't have any exoerience with the SE Custom 24, since I was primarily an acoustic player but last year I developed a yen for an electric guitar. After a months worth of research I purchased the SE Santana (Vintage Cherry) and I couldn't be happier. It fits my body perfect and is so easy to play. Changed the strings to D'Addarrio NYXL 10 - 46 balanced tension and changed the nut to a GraphTech TusQ with 39 mm string spacing (for my XXL hands). Brings both e strings closer to the edge but it doesn't seem to be a problem. I'm lov'in it. I'm playing through my Fishman Loudbox Artist which is designed for acoustic (Note: A lack of funds has made this a less than desirable situation). However with a few pedals on the board changing the sounds from the amp it has been more than passable to the ears.

To summarize, this is a fantastic guitar for the money. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I have no experience with the SE Santana Standard. Very little PRS experience, actually. I believe the knobs are in a different place between the two models, yes? With the neck length being different. there must be something else different about the body?

But, I was on a short road trip, out of my normal travel circles and decided to stop in a guitar shop I'd never been in. They are a PRS dealer and the majority of guitars hanging on the walls were PRS. The SE Santana caught my attention... It's one of the few PRS I've been interested in. I can't justify a Core model these days, and am not familiar enough with PRS to know much about any of them.... But, I like the double cut body shape and it looked good hanging amongst the other PRS guitars on the wall.

For a long time, the only PRS I had tried, I really didn't care for the necks, sharp edges, too skinny of profiles, etc. Maybe I just hadn't played the correct ones? But, I know the wide fat neck on that Santana was a really good feeling neck. The action was a little high and the strings were downright nasty. But, the guitar felt pretty good. It sounded pretty good too.

I decided to be good and go home and do some research.

Discovered there was a Standard and a not Standard model. I also discovered I could find a used one for half the price of new. So, I took a chance on a used one from GC. At 4 bills, that's a steal! It needed a bit of a set up, again nasty strings needed changing. But, I expect that on any new-to-me guitar. But, the two different guitars, new and used, felt extremely consistent! They really were identical in feel.

I've gigged it twice now and played it a good bit. I like it a lot!

The knob placement is a little strange and takes a downward glance to find... since nothing else I have is even close to this. But, it works. not so much for volume swells, mind you. The Standard might have a slight edge there? But, I have used the 24th fret, only because I knew it was there and it would be fun to go there! Not my usual territory, but I like gimmicks from time to time.

I am not 100% sold on the pickups yet. They are good sounding, but not exciting. I may play with the height a good bit before writing them off. I might also replace the nut and tuners (locking). The strings are buried pretty deeply into the nut... Might just trim off the top? But, I think the A string slot might be a hair low. Those are my only complaints with this guitar. I cannot believe how good it is for the 400 bucks I paid. I just can't get over that.

I love, love, love the neck carve. It could always be a bit bigger, but I like huge necks. However, the carve is a nice, even handful without being too big for most folks. The thin body, and cutaways make the SE so comfortable. It does sit in with my body nicely. It hangs well, no neck dive or funky hand placement (like with an SG where the nut is so far out to the left!).

I like the Santana Yellow, the flame veneer (and it seems there's a nice variation in figure) and the natural, unstained back and headstock of the Santana model. I love the fact that they have gone with the Core Santana shape and neck carve. I like the new headstock logo. I love the way the guitar feels.

Not a fan of red guitars, for whatever reason. I know it's a classic color, that whole dark cherry stain. But, it just doesn't do it for me.

I know the Standards are cheaper... I don't know what the differences are other than color and # of frets. I DO know they seem to be very consistently good quality. So ordering one somewhere that has a 30 day return would be a no-gamble deal.

Good luck with your decision!

I don't have any exoerience with the SE Custom 24, since I was primarily an acoustic player but last year I developed a yen for an electric guitar. After a months worth of research I purchased the SE Santana (Vintage Cherry) and I couldn't be happier. It fits my body perfect and is so easy to play. Changed the strings to D'Addarrio NYXL 10 - 46 balanced tension and changed the nut to a GraphTech TusQ with 39 mm string spacing (for my XXL hands). Brings both e strings closer to the edge but it doesn't seem to be a problem. I'm lov'in it. I'm playing through my Fishman Loudbox Artist which is designed for acoustic (Note: A lack of funds has made this a less than desirable situation). However with a few pedals on the board changing the sounds from the amp it has been more than passable to the ears.

To summarize, this is a fantastic guitar for the money. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I have used a Fishman Loudbox Artist for practices & smaller gigs with electric guitar several times.
All my tone is generated from a signal processor so I wanted a small amp without colouration or gain/fx and the Artist is pretty good at it.

They’re fun guitars. I have a “Standad” but it’s a limited run from Sweetwater so it’s 24 frets and has the proper knob placement.

wwueceh.jpg

I also own three core Santana variants, the SE is a different guitar. Aside from the obviously different top carve, the neck carve and the placement of the bridge pickup are different. You can tell they’re related to the core guitars, kinda, but it’s not the same experience as a Core guitar.

I picked up a used SE Santana in the Faded Tortoise Shell finish, which I think is a 2017 model, made in Indonesia, IBxxxx serial number. It will arrive in a few days.

My only other PRS experience is with a 90s era McCarty I used to own. I loved every damn thing about that guitar and will be replacing it in a few months, finally.

But I'm stoked to get this Santana SE. It's a gorgeous simple mahogany guitar and neck, not figured or anything, but lovely. It's getting older McCarty electronics, too.

I love that dual humbucker combo with the chrome covers and the coil tap feature. I think I'll have $750 into this Santana SE after swapping pickups, wiring, nut, tuners.

Hard to beat.

I picked up a used SE Santana in the Faded Tortoise Shell finish, which I think is a 2017 model, made in Indonesia, IBxxxx serial number. It will arrive in a few days.

My only other PRS experience is with a 90s era McCarty I used to own. I loved every damn thing about that guitar and will be replacing it in a few months, finally.

But I'm stoked to get this Santana SE. It's a gorgeous simple mahogany guitar and neck, not figured or anything, but lovely. It's getting older McCarty electronics, too.

I love that dual humbucker combo with the chrome covers and the coil tap feature. I think I'll have $750 into this Santana SE after swapping pickups, wiring, nut, tuners.

Hard to beat.

Sweet! Congrats!

Back