Thoughts on 2006 20th Anniversary CU22?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by emesem7, Oct 1, 2018.

1. emesem7

emesem7 New Member

have a chance to score one of these for what I think is a reasonable price. Whats the consensus on the Dragon 2s? It has a rotary switch which I don't think I'll mind and I believe there's is a kit available if I ever want to change to McCartney type.

Should I save up a little more for something more recent. There's is also a nice 2015 for about $300 more with 5708s.

2. markd21

markd21 New Member

My CU22 has the rotary and Dragon IIs. I like it. It's a bit darker than my 57/08 loaded guitars. It's also one of my main gigging guitars BECAUSE it is a bit darker tonally. For recording, I find myself using it a lot for leads. It has a very creamy tone on the bridge pickup, and the neck pickup KILLS with lower gain for smooth, bluesy stuff. I enjoy the different sounds the rotary provides, and (aside from my Paul's Guitar and Brent Mason) it's the ONLY PRS that I use the "single coil" sounds.

I also have a P22 with 57/08s and a blade switch. It's a cool guitar also, and I am not sure which I would prefer (if apples to apples - meaning, subtract the piezo) if I could only have one. There is something extra rad about the older CU22, but the P22 is super beautiful and has the "rules of tone" applied (I think, lol). Play both and see what you think. One will speak to you......

Here are mine. The CU22 is a 10-top Quilt.....

[​IMG]

The P22 is a SICK 10-top of some crazy figure....

[​IMG]

Really, you can't go wrong either way :)

3. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

4. Tag

Tag New Member

I always liked my Dragon iis and the rotary gives great sounds! I say grab it!!

sergiodeblanc likes this.
  5. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Get in, loser, we’re going shopping.

DII’s and 57/08’s are tied for my favorite neck pickup. DII’s split better IMO so if single coil-ish tones are important, I’d give them the slight edge.

markd21 likes this.
  6. emesem7

emesem7 New Member

Thanks this is really helpful as I do like using the split tones.