Advice on replacement pickups for SE CU22 from 2006

Sancho Panza

I have an SE EG which I love for clean sounds, a Soapbar 2 which is great for gritty distotion, and an SE custom22 from 2006 which just sits there doing nothing. The CU22 doesnt seem to be especially good at anything. I think it is the so-so pickups. Would it be worth getting a replacement neck pickup to upgrade it, or just get rid of it? If so, what pickup to suggest that will retain the coil split and be a relatively simple changeover? Playing style is 90's indie rock in general. I am thinking maybe a 58/15 like in the S2 standard?

Last edited:
I have an SE EG which I love for clean sounds, a Soapbar 2 which is great for gritty distotion, and an SE custom22 from 2006 which just sits there doing nothing. The CU22 doesnt seem to be especially good at anything. I think it is the so-so pickups. Would it be worth getting a replacement neck pickup to upgrade it, or just get rid of it? If so, what pickup to suggest that will retain the coil split and be a relatively simple changeover? Playing style is 90's indie rock in general. I am thinking maybe a 58/15 like in the S2 standard?

I’ve got a 2014 S2 Custom 22 loaded with the Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Humbucker set. Jazz in the neck, and JB in the bridge. These pickups sound fantastic in this guitar.

I would guess that they would most likely work for you as well.

And the coil split tones are great.

2lYbBAT.jpg

f7GquoN.jpg

Interesting. I thought the S2 models had decent pickups. What didnt you like about them?
I actually bought this 2014 S2 Custom 22 used, and the previous owner had swapped out the stock pickups for the SD Jazz and JB pups. So I guess he didn’t like the original stock pickups for some reason, but I myself never got to hear the stock pickups..

But I do love the SD Jazz and JB pups in this one.

LeR3eHv.jpg

I personally wouldn't bother with the 5815S pickups. Decent enough but for.about the same or a little more cash you could get a set of used SDs or something.

Thanks for answers. Ideally I would want the clean sounds I can get from the EG, a kind of rich, clear tone with good sustain, plus the kind of exciting and raw distortion sound I can get from the Soapbar. I.e. all in with one guitar. I had though of upgrading to an S2 but I dont think that would be enough. The idea is to get one guitar to do it all, but am wondering if that is a fools errand. I do occasional impro jazz stuff and some rock stuff on open mic nights sometimes; The Cult, Radiohead, Iggy Pop, Manic Street Preachers etc

Wha Are The Strengths And Weaknesses Of Your Guitar Acoustically? What Does It Excel At And Where Does It Need Help Sonically? The Wood Is The Wood. How Your Guitar Resonates Is How It Resonates. This Will Be Unchanged. Pickups Can And Do Manipulate Certain Sonic Aspects But Without Knowing "Your Guitar" And What Is Really Going On With It Then it Is Virtually Impossible To Give You Honest, Accurate, Intelligent Advice On Your Personal Situation. At Best, Without That Information, All People Are Doing Is Saying What They Like And What They Think Worked In Their Situation/Experience.

If You Can Break Down Your Your Guitar's Sonic DNA I Would Be Happy To Help You Find Some Options That Could Work In Your Guitar. :)

No offence to CU22 owners with stock pickups from 2006, but I feel I am trying to turn a frog into a prince on the cheap. Thanks for all your comments. I will sell the CU22 and hold on to the EG/Soapbar pair for a while until I can define more precisely what I want. I think part of the problem is I cant just waltz into a shop and try a range of used guitars and pickups to compare, and I dont want to spend a gazillion on a brand new core model. So I end up going through buy/sell cycles. I guess thats nothing new. I have only been playing 9 months so its early days.

I have only been playing 9 months so its early days.
I could barely play when I'd been playing only 9 months.

Takes time to learn to pick and shape the notes with your fingers, and to get a good tone.

Maybe wait a while to decide on pickup changes.

Last edited:
No offence to CU22 owners with stock pickups from 2006, but I feel I am trying to turn a frog into a prince on the cheap. Thanks for all your comments. I will sell the CU22 and hold on to the EG/Soapbar pair for a while until I can define more precisely what I want. I think part of the problem is I cant just waltz into a shop and try a range of used guitars and pickups to compare, and I dont want to spend a gazillion on a brand new core model. So I end up going through buy/sell cycles. I guess thats nothing new. I have only been playing 9 months so its early days.
I assume you have a pretty decent amp already?
I think at 9 months I was about ready to ditch the practice amp I had initially (we're talking 90s beginner amp boxy sound) for a h&k head with 4x12. That alone made things sound much better.
Some months after that I replaced my first pickup. A squealy little import pickup on that Yamaha RGX I had. It couldn't hold up to loud volume band practice and stage.

Interesting point. I actually use headphones at home for practice to be a good neighbour and partner. Then am surprised when it sounds so different in rehearsal rooms for band practice. Less 'body' than I am expecting and too much midrange usually. But there again there are so many oher variables in that situation anyway with loud drums, baffles, positions in the room and so on. It proves to me that I dont know enough to know what I really want yet.

Stop press! I have bought the Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Humbucker set, Jazz and JB, and will fit to the CU22. My thinking is that its definitely worth trying, and even if it doesnt I will hold on to to them for any other guitar I may have. Thanks for all your contributions.

Stop press! I have bought the Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Humbucker set, Jazz and JB, and will fit to the CU22. My thinking is that its definitely worth trying, and even if it doesnt I will hold on to to them for any other guitar I may have. Thanks for all your contributions.
Solid set that sounded killer in my se Cu24.

Good choice! Let us know how you like the SD Jazz and JB set! I love them in my S2 Custom 22.

Back