thinking about trading McCarty NF for 58

srmd22

This:

IMG_0835.JPG

for this:

IMG_1162.JPG

IMG_1156.JPG

IMG_1159.JPG

I have been having mixed feelings about the NF's -- like 'em some days, don't on others. I played this McCarty 58 today, and it is marked down from 3.6k to 2.6k, so I thought about trading in mine (with a big hit of course). The 57/08's in this one sound pretty nice, and it has some additional pretty detail work - it's also in better shape then mine, which I bough used, and has few dings.

Just kind of playing with the idea, haven't gotten serious yet. But I did dig the sound of those 57s.

Just for fun, I played this private reserve as well:

IMG_1168.JPG

Price slashed by 40%:

IMG_1167.JPG

IMG_1174.JPG

I have trouble getting good close-ups with my iphone indoors-- sorry for the blur.

Oh, I know I will, lol. Just the easiest thing to do, vs. craigslist or the bay. I am lazy. I did get it used, so it won't be as bad a hose job as if it were purchased new.

GC is having a guitar-a-thon sell, some of their high end stuff is marked down by almost half. there is a wood library throw back in my local gc down from 4999 to 2650!!

I love the 57/08s, plus with the MC58 you get an Artist grade top, and an upgraded case.

So there are reasons to do the transaction, especially if you prefer the pickups.

You might want to edit your post to eliminate the retail price reference, as we're not supposed to discuss that here.

I'd make sure they have the actual case for the Mc58. By the time they screw you with a non-original case, typical GC tactic, and sales tax, you're taking a heck of a hit. You can get new Mc58s at a lot of the smaller dealers for around that price. If I were you I'd shop that trade around to someone like Dave's just to see how they'd do.

I'd make sure they have the actual case for the Mc58. By the time they screw you with a non-original case, typical GC tactic, and sales tax, you're taking a heck of a hit. You can get new Mc58s at a lot of the smaller dealers for around that price. If I were you I'd shop that trade around to someone like Dave's just to see how they'd do.

Don't see anything like that on Dave's site, for a new one. Any other small dealers I can look at? Thanks!

(btw: when I have bought high end guitars at GC I have always gotten the correct case/candy, but I do check).

I'd take the 58. Teardrop burst and McCarty Tobacco Sunburst, there's nothing else that I want more. :laugh:

So I went back and played both today, for a good while. I am actually leaning toward the pinkish one - called "cerise." It's kind of a faded salmon with gold highlights. It put me off at first, but then it started growing on me, color-wise, and-- the thing is-- man I really dig the tone. I don't know if it is the madagascar rosewood neck or the 53/10 pickups, or some combo thereof, but it has a warm jazzy clean sound, and a great crunchy distortion.

Of course they did lowball me on the McCarty NF, so I am putting that up for private sale.

I have to say, the decision is not made, because the McCarty 58 also has a smokin' sound, very different though. Very crisp and toneful, brighter and thinner then my LP, but equally nice. As great as the NF's are, I prefer the 58's in the end.

I guess I'll just play 'em both for awhile, and see where it ends up.

I really dig the tone. I don't know if it is the madagascar rosewood neck or the 53/10 pickups, or some combo thereof, but it has a warm jazzy clean sound, and a great crunchy distortion.

My McRosie has 53/10s and an IRW neck and it is second only to my Paul's Guitar... Great combination!!!

I really really like the pink one, but not so much the color. It is at a blowout price though. I took it home to try out for a few days, to see if can warm up to the color - if not it will go back. It just seems a little too blingy for me, but I love the sound - really a lot! If I were blind, or the gold hardware were nickel, I would surely pull the trigger. Cerise? Even a funny name for a color.

There are times, when you find a great guitar, that you just have to go with what it is. My Artist V is more blingy than what I usually go with. But it's my #1.

Ultimately, it's about making great noises. ;)

Well, I brought the other one home too, since GC is so generous with their return policy. I now have a huge $ on my credit card. I have been back-to-backing these with each other, and with some of my other guitars, including my CU24 with the HFS/VB set.

I am now contemplating keeping both, and selling some other stuff. Already put some stuff on craigslist, in fact. They both feel so great. The McCarty 58 Artist sounds thin when played back to back with the pink thing, but on it's own it has a nice clear, warm sound - a little thin, but in a good way. I don't know if I would get tired of that thinness, but I have some time to see before I decide. The other one's pinky color and gold hardware is sort of growing on me. I can't get over the nice round, bassy sound, great for jazz. Extreme drop in output in position 4 (both pickups split coil), but still a useful sound if you ramp up the volume proportionately. 53/10's are definitely low output, great sound.

I guess I have a week or so of agonizing about this ahead of me. If $$ were no object, I would keep them both. Despite the cost, the deep discount is still very tempting. Sigh.

Dear Playboy Advisor:

I'm not the kinda guy that these things ever happen too but, ..Tonight I have three hot PRS guitars in my bed and I keep forgetting to take pictures!

I need to see 'em all together to make a judgement.

Just for you, Sergiodeblanc! Sorry, the light is not good, night here now, maybe I'll get a chance for some daylight shots this weekend.

Untitled by sirpics, on Flickr

Untitled by sirpics, on Flickr

No Flash:

Untitled by sirpics,
10485351714_4b086fa5e1_b.jpg

Side:

Man, I love the way the pink one sounds and plays, one of my favorite guitars I have ever played. However... I don't think I can live with the gold hardware-- it really jars me against the salmon -- technically "cerise" according to PRS, but it looks like a pinkey-orangey-goldey color, mostly salmon. With nickel it would be good.

After playing for a few hours today and yesterday, I definitely prefer the 58 to the 25th Anniversery NF, tone wise. So I might keep that one.

Guitarcenter really doesn't screw you that bad on trades, that's a myth. If you take their price they will mark down whatever your buying so they work with you just as much as any other shop.

There's also some value in trading your guitar quickly

Cool though I like the 58 better as far as looks go, can't speak for playability. If you can afford to keep the ps though and change the hardware.

Back