Thinking About Trading In My DGT For A Paul's Guitar!

Paulg2uk

Hi guys,

I hope you are all well, I've not posted on here for quite a while but last year I managed to buy a 2nd hand 2009 DGT 10 top in tobacco sunburst. Fantastic guitar and have always loved playing them. I've owned a few over the years.

Recently though I've got the opportunity to buy a 2016 Paul's guitar in Tobacco sunburst. This one has a trem on which I always missed on the other Paul's guitar's I've owned. Plus it comes with a Paisley case which I was surprised to see with this one. Maybe just a certain run PRS did at the time or maybe a factory order? who knows. I could email PRS and ask them I suppose.

I'm thinking about trading in my DGT and buying the Paul's guitar and then buying one of the newer DGT's at a later date.

Anyway I just wanted a little advice on this and what you guys think? and of its worth going ahead with the trade?

Many thanks

Paul

What are you expecting from the Paul's the DGT does not provide?

Good question! I prefer the 408's to be honest. Not sure why I guess its a feel thing!

I guess the real question would be is there a difference between the newer TCI DGT pickups and the 2009 ones? If I'm gonna buy a newer DGT at a later date of course.

They are very different sounding guitars. The DGT of course covers a lot of bases. The Paul's and the narrow 408 pickups imo have a sound of their own. Extremely crystal clear humbuckers which is very different from any other hunbucker sound. I wouldn't call it traditional just a single coil on steroids without losing any clarity. In my opinion you should keep the DGT and get a stoptail Paul for variety. If you absolutely have to sell, it depends on how much tone chasing you do. If you chase a particular player , especially all the classic sounds, the DGT will serve you better. If you prefer your own sound and aren't chasing anyone's tone in particular, then get the Paul's.

If my memory serves me right , in 2009 the DGT pickups were a bit hotter. .. personally, I wouldn’t trade it.. Narrowfield pickups are very similar to mini humbuckers… they never jived with me…..even the custom wound ones I had Zhangbucker build for me….they aren’t full like humbuckers or even P-90’s…just my opinion….
I own a 2021 DGT, love it, but my next and probably last PRS will be a strait McCarty from around.2009 with the strait wraparound tailpiece….

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice fellas, I really appreciate it! I've decided to go for the Paul's guitar and get a newer DGT down the road. I just couldn't pass the Paul's guitar up. I have owned one before and I do regret letting it go to be honest. I always thought that the only thing this is missing is a trem and when this one came up I just couldn't resist. I've got other guitars with humbuckers in so its not like I'll be missing anything and I'm not chasing any particular tone.

In fact I don't own anything currently that is like the paul's guitar so it's going to be a good addition to the collection. Here's some pics for you all to check out.

A Paul's with trem is rare enough that I think you made the right decision. There are lots of DGTs on the market, so it's a much easier guitar to replace IMO if you miss it. Yours looks sweet!!

That's exactly my thoughts as well! Thank you!

It's coming next week can't wait. I don't think I've ever seen a Paul's guitar in Tobacco Burst. I'm sure there are plenty of them out there. I reached out to PRS the other day just to check the serial was all ok and correct and they said for the first few years the Paul's guitar shipped with a Paisley case instead of a normal black version. Something else I didn't know.

I've got a 2016 PS with the PG pickups (plus a middle Narrowfield pickup). It's the most beautiful sounding, versatile guitar I own, and the pickups sound great with my amps with the volume rolled up or down, to clean up my sound as needed. I generally run them around 6-8, and the tone controls around 7-8 for my base tone.

They're wonderfully responsive to the controls on the guitar.

Of course, it's great to have enough variety to meet one's needs, so the rest have other pickups. Horses for courses.

Have you seen Paul's guitar?

Yes its a nice DGT!

No its a Paul's guitar.

Yes, Paul's guitar is a DGT!

No, he has a Paul's guitar.

I know he has Paul's guitar, it's a DGT...and so forth.

Btw I REALLY like your Paul's guitar, Paul! It's gorgeous and like Ahazz mentioned the trek versions are more rare. Enjoy!

Back