The trem: six screws blues

Ken Mandu

I'm having a problem accepting the notion that my PRS trem bridge actually sits identically on all six of its screws. For a few reasons, this is actually almost impossible, and I wonder about its effect on sustain. Any other engineering types ever give this any thought?

Odds are it sits primarily on two. If adjusted correctly, they should all be at least out of the way, if not acting as part of the anchor/knife edge.

I could see the bridge binding on the screws as a liability for damping the vibrato motion, but should actually improve string sustain as they would anchor the bridge in more directions.

That's why guitars sound better after a break-in period. It's one of the reasons case queens don't sound as good as road warriors.

Well it's not going to sit identically because there's always going to be a tolerance whenever similar fasteners are tightened/adjusted, whether it be by torque (e.g. hydraulically, torque wrench etc), measurement (feeler gauge, dial gauge etc), angular adjustment etc.

However, using the method that @John Mann has kindly shown us via his vid, you can get it pretty darn close :)

I searched "tremolo" by member John Mann but no luck. What should I enter in the search box to find the video you mention?

I struggle with this too. I will get trem set up then put my phone up to that area. By expanding photo of the fulcrum area, I can see if screws are adjusted the same.

Back