The S2 Hands-on Evaluation Thread

FedEx guy brought me a package today. My wife suggested the color. I wasn't sure since I couldn't find one to see what the color really looks like. Some pictures looked blue, some looked green. All I know is that I like what mine looks like.

IMAG0693_zps06cd9214.jpg

IMAG0694_zpsf6896959.jpg

IMAG0695_zpsb1d537ef.jpg

Nice score!

My only complain with the S2s are that the pots feel cheap. I have no idea whether was it supposed to be like that, or not. The pots have almost no friction at all, it's like there's something missing inside. It turns without effort at all, even the slightest touch will move it. I've tried the pots on a few more S2s. Most of them were flimsy like the one I tried, while on some, the "frictionlessness" feels just right. The SE pots feel more substantial from what I tried, but I was just comparing what was there in the shop. They could have gotten themselves some S2s with bad pots and some SEs with good pots.

Have you played a USA model?? that is what I LIKE about the USA PRS. I can move the pots with just a touch of my pinky. I have owned a few SEs over the years and compared to the USA pot I do not like the SE pots way too stiff. Actually have to practically grab the knob and twist where the USA I just barely slide my pinky on it and it moves. I prefer that feel. I was wondering if the S2 line had the USA pot feel or SE pot feel. The SE pot feel for me would be a deal killer. My boy has a SE Singlecut I installed the USA Drop in pots w/push pull and the HFS/Vintage pick up set. the Guitar now sounds WAY better and feels way better with pots than a stock SE.

Have you played a USA model?? that is what I LIKE about the USA PRS. I can move the pots with just a touch of my pinky. I have owned a few SEs over the years and compared to the USA pot I do not like the SE pots way too stiff. Actually have to practically grab the knob and twist where the USA I just barely slide my pinky on it and it moves. I prefer that feel. I was wondering if the S2 line had the USA pot feel or SE pot feel. The SE pot feel for me would be a deal killer. My boy has a SE Singlecut I installed the USA Drop in pots w/push pull and the HFS/Vintage pick up set. the Guitar now sounds WAY better and feels way better with pots than a stock SE.

Ahh, I see. I've never tried a Core line one. I thought it was a factory defect, due to the frictionless-ness. I suppose the S2s have the same pot feel as the Core one, since they use USA pots and other parts. Strangely, I prefer the SE pots, because due to the "stiffness" it's more forgiving when turning! But I do understand the frictionless USA pots are a plus to many others. :D

After reading about the S2 line a couple of months ago, I was thinking "A U.S. made PRS I can actually afford?! (or that the wife will let me afford :biggrin:)"
So when the nearest place to carry PRS put them up on their site, I had them get a gray-black S2 Custom for me to try. A month later I finally got into the store (I live a 2 hour drive away). Tried it out, and loved it.
For comparison, I've been playing an Am. Special Strat for the last couple years, and I've never touched a PRS before. So this was a contrast.
They set me up on the same model amp I use at home. The S2 Custom in the store was tuned to drop-D, so I had to fix that, also the action was set quite a bit higher than I expected. I'm pretty sure someone in the store had been messing around with it over the month.
Anyway, it took a little time to get used to the action and the 24 frets, but within about half an hour it was starting to feel natural. I love the sounds of the pickups, after being used to single coils. The feel of the neck and fretboard were different (my Strat has a maple board), but I actually liked the overall feel of the Custom better. It feels more precise, and is more forgiving to play. And the pictures don't do them justice, they look great. Not the pieces of art that the core models are, but a more spartan, clean look, which I like.
So it felt good, sounded good, played good and looked good. So I bought it.
I suspect the Strat will be picking up a little dust for the next while.

Hope you had the action corrected, it should not be high at all. That's one thing I really like about the PRS pattern neck, with action set at factory level, it just feels so comfortable to my hands.

Actually, no. I've never seen that in any setup instructions. But since you mentioned it I've done a little research, and I'll be detuning before adjusting height from now on.

In the meantime, I'm really liking the S2. I'm getting used to the different sound as compared to the strat. I need to make some amp/effect adjustments.

Got my hands on the Mira and Starla at the PRS event in Boston tonight... VERY cool. The thing I noticed about the Mira was that the wood was of similar quality to the lower priced Gibson's, but the finish was WAY better. The rosewood board had some of the lighter grains running through it, but the edges of the neck were very smooth and consistent, whereas I often feel like the Gibson stuff can be very uneven. For some reason that inch or so on the next next to the board just bothers me when it's off. Action was a tad high on the Mira for my taste, but that's just personal preference. The seafoam green Starla was set up perfectly (and looked SWEET in person, had to hold back the wallet). Someone played it through a HXDA and it really sang.

+1
Local ( One hour away ) SamAsh Tampa didn't have them in stock either (yet)
As soon as they do I'll be there when they open it and play it out of the box
I so much want them to be as great as my SE or betterer
Time will tell

I'm really wanting to try these, but my local GC is pretty pathetic when it comes to PRS stock....a lot of times they might have a couple SE's on the wall, but that's it. If anyone happens to know where to find one in Kansas City, I'd love to try it out and post an evaluation. :hello:

Hey folks!
Long time lurker first time poster here. :hello:
Like everyone else, I was waiting on these to hit the local store. Couldn't wait any longer so I bit the bullet on an S2 Custom 24 from American Musical Supply. Showed up just the other day, and here's my take on it. (This based on owning a bolt-on CE from way back in the day, and a Core Custom 24 for the past 5 years)

New top contour: I LIKE it! My Custom 24 tends to dig into my forearm after awhile, especially after 3 sets in a club. The new contour is COMPLETELY comfortable. In fact, dare I say it, I think I like it better. Not as fancy as my Core, but easier on the forearm, and it looks kinda badass in person.
The inlays: - This was my big point of contention. In pics they looked like cheap plastic, and I wasn't sure I could live with that. In person however, they look very nice! Not the abalone of a Core model, but I no longer think it looks like an old Clorox bottle. :)
Finish: I got the Blue Crab Smokeburst...being a Maryland boy, I gots nuthin but love for blue crab. :) It looks great. I got lucky and got some decent flame to the top as well, and knowing that these really aren't "flametops" I was pleased. The finish feels a tad thick on the back of the neck, but it's not a deal-breaker by any means.
Sound: Sounds great! Even though the trem and pickups are Imports, there's not a monster difference in tone from my Core or even CE. If I nitpick? Yeah there's some difference, but it's not so vast a tonal difference that it bugs me. And if I ever feel the need to swap them for a USA Trem and USA pickups, I can do so.
Neck: Rosewood looks like a very nice quality, inlays are very tight, fretwork is flawless. The neck profile is in between a wide fat and a wide thin: a nice, comfortable C shape.

I've heard some folks say the S2 line are just an "SE Plus", but that's not the case. This one feels much more solid (I'm guessing that's real mahogany/maple over Nato in the SE line) and it leans much more in the direction of my Core Custom 24 than towards an SE. AND here's the biggie: I've got no qualms whatsoever about gigging with the S2, whereas sometimes I'd be a little iffy bringing my Core to a gig in a rough club, or an outside gig in the summer heat. This one? It's gonna be my new workhorse. :biggrin:

Now, if I MUST nitpick....the factory setup wasn't all that good. WAY too much relief in the neck...and I like a lot of relief. There's some pore marks on the heel, like the mahogany wasn't sealed completely and the finish soaked in a bit. For $1300 bucks, I would have thought I'd get a flaw-free finish. Also, if showed up with a nice paint chip in the cutaway where the neck meets the Low E side. (how the hell a chip gets there, I'll never know) The box wasn't damaged, so AMS says it must have come from the factory that way and not been damaged in shipping, and to call PRS because that's probably under warranty etc etc. I COULD go round and round about the finish flaw and the chip, but I like the top I got, and I really don't want to wait another month for a new one (which may not be as nice) or a paint repair. I want to play it now. And like I said, I plan on using this one as my new live workhorse (and gigging 6-10 times a month, it's gonna get a chip/ding etc at some point) so I'll get over the finish flaw and the chip. (even though both were initially a big let-down for a brand new guitar, now I'm ok with it)

So in a long-winded fashion, I would say to everyone who owns a Core PRS: You will not be disappointed with an S2. I'm really digging mine, and my forearm is thanking me for that new contour. So if you were on the fence, I'd say do it...you'll be very happy that you did. (as long as you don't get any pores or a chip LOL)

I've heard some folks say the S2 line are just an "SE Plus", but that's not the case. This one feels much more solid (I'm guessing that's real mahogany/maple over Nato in the SE line) and it leans much more in the direction of my Core Custom 24 than towards an SE. AND here's the biggie: I've got no qualms whatsoever about gigging with the S2, whereas sometimes I'd be a little iffy bringing my Core to a gig in a rough club, or an outside gig in the summer heat. This one? It's gonna be my new workhorse. :biggrin:

Hey Jack Tripper, congrats on the new S2 - it's good to hear more positive things about these from folks out here who have (or do) play both Cores and S2s. You summed up my experience very well, especially in the quote above. I grab for my S2 Mira almost daily.

I had a feeling these would be very cool guitars. Glad folks are liking them. I need to try one.

I have played my new S2 custom 24 for two weeks now. This is a great instrument. Not as fancy as my other 2 custom 24's. But it does a great job.
The other Custom 24's have a little deeper woody sound, but in a live setting I think you will hardly notice the difference. I don't think the SE trem feels as comfortable as the US version, but does the job well. The bevelled top actually is a little more comfortable to play. It's more gentle on your forearm. . The single coil sound clean is a bit underwhelming, played with a cruch sound however it sounds great.
I don't like my customs getting banged up by jack plugs, roadies, drummers, p.a. guys and other **** that usualy happens when your playing live. This S2 is the perfect stand in for me.
Have an open mind about the S2, It is a step up from the SE line. Buy a marvelous Private stock for playing at home, studio or TV gigs, and buy a S2 for playing live on small stage, bars, clubs etc. ;-) You won't be dissapointed.
I don't think anyone in the audience will hear the difference anyway......

Back