The Official "McCarty 594" Love Thread!!

Thanks Kingsley, I did try that but all that came up was a small IMG icon. Does it take a few minutes for the link to form?

Thanks Kingsley, I did try that but all that came up was a small IMG icon. Does it take a few minutes for the link to form?

No, the pic should appear right away in the box in which you're writing the post. What you're talking about is exactly what happens when I'm posting from an iPad. There may be something in the settings which is causing the issue, but I'm not sure.

Black%20Fade%20Side%201_zpsr3awkpc2.jpg

Black%20Fade%20Front%201_zpsh8gplohp.jpg

Black%20Fade%20Back%202_zpsqxgmytjm.jpg

Man, this one really slays me! After having it for a week now, I keep loving it more and more. Put "my" strings on it and got a setup this week, and it just plays and sounds amazing.

I *LOVE* the tone of Korina! It is very much like Mahogany, but with its own special mojo going on. I am very glad that Ben and Brian from Righteous Guitars were brave enough to get this bold on their WL spec, this guitar is amazing.

The top, finish, look and vibe is fantastic too, the way the Natural Korina body and back finish blends with the rest of the guitar is awesome. The grain in the Korina is really very cool, and unique relative to what you usually see in Mahogany, gorgeous if you are like me a marvel over the beautiful grain in the wood of a guitar.

This thing looks, plays and sounds like a Private Stock!!

I have a Private Stock spec'ed with a Korina neck and Mahogany body, based on how great this guitar sounds, I am pretty happy about that!! Funny thing is that I was thinking of doing both the body and neck in Korina on that spec, but I chickened out and just did the neck. Had I known all-Korina 594 could sound this great, I would have spec'ed that! No worries though, I have had two previous guitars with Mahogany bodies and Korina necks, and those have both been amazing, so I not concerned, and still very excited for that one.

I am hoping that Ben and Brian do some WL SC 594's in Korina as well, I could use a matching set of Grey Black Fade Korina 594 Tone Monsters!! ;)

Oh and hey, Pete, nice grab on the korina. Two thumbs up! :)

Thanks, Kingsley! The tone of it is really incredible. Why didn't I listen to you and Eric YEARS ago?!? LOL...

Pete - different subject, but is your Kemper powered or unpowered? Do you prefer the Bogner cab over an FRFR?

Thanks.

Kemper is Powered. That Bogner Cab is killer, with tube amps or the Kemper. The 4x12 Bogner Helios Cab has 2 Vintage 30's and 2 Greenback GB 25's, and also I just got an oversized 2x12 that has 1 Vintage 30 and 1 Creamback 65. They are the two best sounding cabs I have ever owned, amazing.

IMG_0237_zpsp4ywvdlp.jpg

I have never tried the Kemper with an FRFR, and nor do I really have a desire to, it just sounds so good through these Bogner cabs, I am not going to mess with perfection. I love that it is not that complex of a rig, just amp and cabinet. Once you get some profiles you like dialed in, it is actually a pretty simple device (I don't like complicated things). I think pairing a killer cab with the Powerhead version is key to getting great tone out of it using it with the built-in amplifier. I tried it with some "lesser" mere mortal cabs, and it was not nearly as magical as it is with these two.

I bought the Michael Britt Bogner Helios profiles, they are awesome and sound just as good as the real thing, to my ears. I had a Bogner Helios 50 that was my favorite head ever, which is what inspired me to try those cabs, they are both optimized for that head. I recently sold that one to another forum member, but I do plan to get another one, a 100 watter in custom white tolex for that Randy Rhoads stack look, I saw a picture of that and haven't been able to get it out of my head ever since. ;)

BrianC stopped over today and checked out this rig with the 594's, and his SCT, I think he was pretty impressed! (Thanks, Brian! Always fun to get together...)

There's something about this scale length - I think you may have said it a few pages back, not sure. But there is a harmonic depth, resonance and sparkle that you don't get from the other scale lengths. It's like when you stand in front of a Plexi at volume - but at low volumes and even unplugged!

MNG - You nailed it, this scale length is pure magic, in my opinion - what until you guys try the Singlecut 594 - it is just as amazing, in its own way!!

Last edited:
15032665_10154685867646382_2445303391069962761_n_zpspt8vdykw.jpg

So I saw this on Facebook, Supro won some award for best amp of some category for 2016, from Guitarist Magazine. Does this cover shot mean the 594 won an award for best new guitar of 2016? If so, AWESOME! And IMO deservedly so. Great to see this awesome model getting some recognition in the industry!

That particular one looks killer! The top looks like Charcoal, but the back looks darker than "Natural". I love the darker brown back finishes. That just doesn't seem like a standard finish configuration, for the 2016 Core models anyway. If I saw a guitar just like that on Reverb, it would instantaneously be on its way to me! ;)

It was Prestige Electric of the Year. The mag talks about the vintage informed Gibson specs and ends with an interesting quote below:

'For the first time in PRS history, the 594 is providing a real challenge to the 31 year old custom'.

This tallies with what a dealer told me recently. I said that I thought he DGT was one of the top selling models, but he said no, it only accounts for about 5% of sales. The Custom 24 is the big seller but now challenged by the 594. That surprised me as the DGT has been my favourite PRS since I got it 8 years ago and it seems a favourite on forums as well.

A crack dealer emailed me details of a 594 with a Brazilian neck that they had got in. I'd imagine that the mahogany neck is going to sound better in the 594 configuration. Has anyone played one with all Brazilian neck? Very expensive!

A crack dealer emailed me details of a 594 with a Brazilian neck that they had got in. I'd imagine that the mahogany neck is going to sound better in the 594 configuration. Has anyone played one with all Brazilian neck? Very expensive!

Wow, that's a rare chance for sure. I guess "better" depends on what sound you're after. If you want the sound of the tried and true vintage recipe, mahogany is the way to go. If you want something different, I'm sure you can't miss with any of the PRS wood selections, but you have to accept that it'll sound, well, different.

Wow, that's a rare chance for sure. I guess "better" depends on what sound you're after. If you want the sound of the tried and true vintage recipe, mahogany is the way to go. If you want something different, I'm sure you can't miss with any of the PRS wood selections, but you have to accept that it'll sound, well, different.

I'll let you know as I'm going to get to have a go on one and will be able to compare side by side. I do like the feel of a Brazilian neck.

Ok, I've had some time with two PS 594 with an all Brazilian neck and the truth is - you don't want to know! :cool:

Back