The not so beginner beginner guitar

GuitarJammin

Guitar Player
So I've really never gotten along with the modern SEs, I keep my mouth shut mostly, but this has been my experience. I still buy them own them for a few months and then sell them out of disappointment. The last one I bought was a ZM model...couldn't save it for me...a buddy loved it and it went. I still love my SE from 2002 though. I'm only telling this story so you can have context. Most of my SEs I didn't bond with went to buddies who loved them, so I know there are people who love them.

I've been picking up every SE CE 24 satin I see in stores. I was surprised at the resonance unplugged and could tell with minor adjustment they'd be just right. I swore off buying anymore new SE guitars after the ZM. Then one day I realized I had a set of core 85/15 pickups, PRS locking tuners, a core nut, some amber lamp shades, and new pickup rings in my parts bin. After short deliberation realizing all the parts I already had sitting collecting dust...I went online to find a SE CE24 with a woodgrain I liked visually and bring one home.

Once I had the guitar in front of me I went through it. A little twist of the truss really got it playing amazing! The neck still felt the price point but seemed like a little sanding might smooth that out. The stock strings and pickup heights were pingy sounding..however the guitar sounded great stock! My guitar arrived without the allen screw holding tension on the trem arm so it was just hanging lol. Still no deal breaker..I told the dealer and they are on it.

After about a week playing the guitar along side the others in my arsenal I got to know the guitar better. Those strings had to go and I decided to mod. I made a light pass with 3000 grit sandpaper on the neck...and then 5000 to finish it off and got the neck very smooth. In went the 85/15 pickups, and the PRS locking tuners, performed a full setup. I held back on the nut so I could evaluate the tuning stability of the trem after putting on the locking tuners. I found if I flipped the truss cover around it matched the headstock veneer really well!

WOW...the gutiar woke up..and now after a few days after the mods the tuning stability is spot on. This guitar really sounds great and performs well. PRS really made a great guitar here! Stock...it's definitely the best guitar at it's price point..the mods I did to mine really made the guitar great even in my picky opinion! I did not need to replace the nut or bridge..it's all solid. I was prepared to do so if needed.

This guitar is definitely great for the experienced peeps and starter peeps alike! It's stripped down,so I guess that lends the guitar to just be a guitar..so perfect mod platform too.

I'm pretty happy I got off the fence and bought one! Whatever team brought this guitar to market....KUDOS!

Jm3sxbC.jpg
kBvIZhb.jpg

Last edited:
Absolutely agree 100%. I have the same finish on mine and went with \m/ pickups with black pickup rings, locking tuners, and I had to swap the push-pull pot due to stock being really soft and inconsistent. The result, like yours - just amazing for the price.

(Quick edit: Hadn't thought about the TRC, but just flipped mine as well - Wow! Great idea!)

Cool mods and congrats! Glad you were able to find a comfort level in that line!! I have played a few, but have not yet owned one and therefore not spent any real time with one!!! Lookin' good ;~))

Nice! I had the first SE CE 24, and it was a surprisingly good guitar. I got rid of mine because I don't get along with the wide thin neck - but man, that guitar made me wish I did.

If I didn't already have a Vela Satin and an SE Tremonti, one of these, in that colour, would definitely be on my radar. Sweet score, and the upgrades look top notch.

Back