The Forum Fitness Thread

I finally decided to get fit, i used to be quite athletic, but gained some weight after getting married, lost it then gained it back. So now after seven years of being a bit heavy. I decided I am going to get fit again.

I would like to see 200 by the new year, but that is hard.
Especially with Thanksgiving and Christmas around the corner, and my freezer stocked up with KitKats and peanut butter cups.
Nothing like frozen ones :D

Still rockin' the Sony Bluetooth headphones at work daily, and walking anywhere from 30 minutes to one hour at a very brisk pace.

I'm taking extra points for a two hour bike ride in the hail today. I didn't plan on the hail, but it manged to find me.

I have a love hate relationship with hail. December 9, 2009, I went for a short ride. The hail started. Black ice formed within minutes. Then in a nano-second the bike and I were down because bridges really do ice up before the road does.. The bike faired well. I broke my hip. But that resulted in reawakening my 30 year dormant desire to return to playing the guitar.

Back to this thread, I finally hit the weight room today following a 14 mile recovery ride.

I'm taking extra points for a two hour bike ride in the hail today. I didn't plan on the hail, but it manged to find me.

Ouch!

I have a love hate relationship with hail. December 9, 2009, I went for a short ride. The hail started. Black ice formed within minutes. Then in a nano-second the bike and I were down because bridges really do ice up before the road does.. The bike faired well. I broke my hip. But that resulted in reawakening my 30 year dormant desire to return to playing the guitar.

Back to this thread, I finally hit the weight room today following a 14 mile recovery ride.

MEGA ouch!

Fortunately, in Atlanta it doesn't stay below freezing for long. I just tend to ride a bit later in the day than I do in summer. If things are frozen I can take a couple days off and it'll be thawed again.

First chilly ride of the year today. It was 42 when I left at 10:00, but was already up to 54 by 12:30 when I got back home. I REALLY need to start hitting my core work again. On my last couple rides I've definitely noticed the loss of core strength due to my slacking off.

Rode a good, hilly 39 miles yesterday with a couple of buddies after a few mini cross training workouts during the week. It definitely helped; I made it through with energy to spare. I "bonked" for the first time yesterday, though. Fortunately it was after the ride. We rode in the afternoon, so I didn't get lunch. I had a smoothie after the ride and went straight to the grocery store with my family. By the time we got home, my body was wrecked! Three tacos and a big glass of OJ later, I was back to normal.

Rode a good, hilly 39 miles yesterday with a couple of buddies after a few mini cross training workouts during the week. It definitely helped; I made it through with energy to spare. I "bonked" for the first time yesterday, though. Fortunately it was after the ride. We rode in the afternoon, so I didn't get lunch. I had a smoothie after the ride and went straight to the grocery store with my family. By the time we got home, my body was wrecked! Three tacos and a big glass of OJ later, I was back to normal.

That's one thing that sucks about Minnesota. I haven't been out for a ride in weeks now (it's -7 right now). I've had a gym membership for years, but usually just lift and try to get some cardio in, but during the spring/summer/fall I try to get in about 100 miles a week on the bike. That helps keep the weight down. I've managed to pack on 8lbs since November 1st. Ugh.

bunch of skinny bastages! LOL..
November 4th..323 pounds.

Currently 315 and going in the right direction. Gym every day..lifting like the animal I used to be.
My plan is 8 to 10 pounds per month till I drop to 220 around Nov 2014 or so.
Burn at least 500 calories per day at the gym or other outdoor exercise while cutting about 500 calories out of my daily diet..

Presto..there is no secret. Just have to do it.

Despite having a PB cycling year, 9,791 miles, my upper body continues to get softer and weaker. The 6 pack has been replaced with the 6 rolls. Ok, I'll say it, "I resolve to hit the weights at least 3 times a week in 2014." Getting old is inevitable and sucks. But getting soft and weak is within my power to change.

That's one thing that sucks about Minnesota. I haven't been out for a ride in weeks now (it's -7 right now). I've had a gym membership for years, but usually just lift and try to get some cardio in, but during the spring/summer/fall I try to get in about 100 miles a week on the bike. That helps keep the weight down. I've managed to pack on 8lbs since November 1st. Ugh.

Dude, just get yourself a fatbike and bundle up! :top: I'd probably put the road bike on a trainer in the house and pedal for an hour or two while watching TV.

Despite having a PB cycling year, 9,791 miles, my upper body continues to get softer and weaker. The 6 pack has been replaced with the 6 rolls. Ok, I'll say it, "I resolve to hit the weights at least 3 times a week in 2014." Getting old is inevitable and sucks. But getting soft and weak is within my power to change.

Great job racking up the miles! I just did my last ride of the year today, bringing me to a total of 1524. Not a great year for me. Jan-Mar were pretty much write-offs due to injury, and it took a few more months to get my fitness back. I like to get in two rides a week, so my goal for 2014 is at least 200 miles/month.

Dude, just get yourself a fatbike and bundle up! :top: I'd probably put the road bike on a trainer in the house and pedal for an hour or two while watching TV.

I've got a mountain bike too, so riding in the winter isn't out of the question. I just feel so slow on that bike. Heh. I might have to pick up a trainer next winter. We'll see.

I have for years worked out on a bowflex and tried to eat decent but in August I decided to join a gym to push myself harder. I was maxing out the bowflex on many routines. Plus I really was not doing much cardio. Well after two weeks( trial membership) I went from waking up in morning at around 185lbs to 177lbs! The weights with cardio really knocked it off. Then I had my body fat checked. 11.5. I have actually had to drastically increase my caloric intake to gain some of it back for muscle mass. Hard to do that and eat CLEAN. But using some protein/crab post workout stuff that has a lot of quality calories so that is working good. Last Oct I believe I was rechecked for body fat and down to 10.1 and I have gained back to close to 183lbs in morning. have had a 32" waist but now pant are looser. I am 6`1" tall. At 51 I`m in the best shape of my life and have had women in their 20s comment on how hot I look lol. IMO one can`t beat lifting- eating right and cardio. For me it has become a major addiction that I go crazy on my off days. I attack it like an animal when I am there. Oh ya the wife really likes the more buff me too! ;)

Man, 9700 miles on the bike in a year! I can't fathom that. Forget about what I get on the trail (pitifully low because of all the prep work I hate to do to get there), I don't get near that on my stationary bike - only around 1300 miles/year. On the other hand, this is the third stationary bike we've had, and we've worn out the other two.

I'd like to get back into doing the NFL Training Camp thing on Wii. The tough part is we don't have a big open area to use it, so the stuff on the ground doesn't register as well because of positioning and you need to complete some things to move on to the next. A physical therapist told my wife it's an @ss-kicker, and it is - I actually have to put on shoes to do the stuff or my feet kill me.

Back