The Elegance Of Tube Amplification.

I agree there's something magical about plugging straight into an amp. I grew up in the era of guitar, cord, amp and that's all we had! Because that was it, folks had to play their butts off. Some of my favorite music is from that era.

I only play at church now and am loving my Pod Go for two reasons. First, the portability factor. I'm 69 years old and my days of carrying gear up from my basement, into the car, into the church and back again are long over. Second, I have to be real careful because of the tinnitus factor. Some days it's not to bad and other days it's more noticeable. But when I get around anything loud my ears are ringing something fierce. I set my tones with studio monitor headphones and we use in ear monitors at church.
As a result, my ears aren't ringing anymore than usual.

I've had the Pod Go since January of 2021 and through a lot of trial and error I've learned to get some pretty good sounds that work for me and for the music that we play at church. (Of course, my Vela was the icing on the cake!). The amp model I've come to really like is a Soldano but it's the clean channel. I have no idea how much it does or doesn't sound like the real deal because I've never played through one. But so far everyone at church loves it.

Tubes, tubes, and more tubes.

It boggles my mind that people who will change strings for every gig freak the f@ck out if a tube on one of their amps goes bad.

I mean, seriously? It's easier to change a tube than a string!

Les, perfect sentiment from a listing perspective. Our youths overlapped, but you grew out of yours a bit before I did. As for “playing” I’ve only just started. A pod go (baby modeler) and a Mesa mkv25 combo (baby tube amp). Sometimes I use them together, sometimes I don’t. Both are very fun. The Mesa does sound better. As I begin to understand feel, it feels better as well.

Nice write up. I'm old, 75, We didh't have modelers back in the day. My heroes all used tube amps.. I still use tube amps.
Just because something is new does not make that something better than what it's attempting to replace.
If you think other wise try persuading a Stradivarius violin player to go "modern".

Use what works and is accessible to you. Tube Amps certainly have a lot of history and "mojo" but digital amplifiers are just as valid and useful as musical tools. I love both.

Now that I think about it, SS amps have some history and "mojo" of their own...

Back