The A40 is the “D28” of the SE acoustic line

Wavebender

I haven’t played every model, but I have played and owned my share of the post 2017 SE range, looking for the sweetest balance between tone, playability, aesthetics, and money. I ended up with a 2018 T60 and a 2018 A40 as my main squeezes. The former to record, the latter to play live.

I’m sure most of you know that the smart money in the traditional Martin line is the classic D28. You can spend more, but you don’t really get more from the fancier/pricier models. The more fiscally approachable D18 saves you a few hundred bucks, but would Blackbird or Mother Nature’s Son have sounded as warm and fuzzy if McCartney had played them with a brittle mahogany Martin? Of course not.

In my quest for the finest SE acoustics, I saw some with unacceptably ugly wood. The worst were X60 models with ziricote bodies. It’s a beautiful wood, but man that sapwood can be nasty looking to my old-school eyes. There’s a reason you never see sapwood used in classic acoustics: it was universally considered an unusable, flawed tonewood for hundreds of years. Guess what? It is still bloody junk wood suitable for roasting weenies and not much else, in my not so humble opinion.

All this is to say that the A40 is the sweet spot for the vast majority of semi-pro guitarists. It can do everything. It is unpretentious. You could write the best song of your life on it. You could win the mate you’ve always dreamed of with it. The T40 sounds richer and the T60 is noticeably warmer for recording and certainly is prettier than the T40, if that matters to you. I split the difference with my two choices. But if you can only buy one, choose the A40.

We all know that Mr Smith aims for consistency above all else and that he and his amazing crew achieve that goal damn near every time. But cheap ugly wood is cheap ugly wood; some of it passes SE standards and hangs in guitar stores. Some of you don’t care, but I do. Beauty matters.

High praise, indeed! I resisted the lure of the Martin name for years, playing two Taylor’s (814ce and 914ce), both incredible guitars… and still the best playing acoustics I’ve owned. After about 40 years of avoiding, I decided to get a Martin and went to tour the facility in Nazareth. I purchased an HD-28. Before very long, the Taylors had been sold, and the HD-28 is it. The best sounding acoustic guitar there is. I still love the Taylors, and still own two T5s (T5 Ltd and T5z), but for a pure acoustic, the Martin became king of the hill and has withstood all comparisons since. I certainly understand its popularity now, and understand why you refer to it here.

That said, I’ve never had the opportunity to play a PRS acoustic, particularly one of the stratospheric price versions. I’m going to do it soon! An SE likely won’t boot the HD-28, but it might make a great travel companion or keeping out around the house instrument. Every review I’ve read here has been glowing with praise for them!

Congrats on yours :)

I dig the A60e for the warmth and backside appearance so I picked it and sold the T40e

But I agree 100% about the comparison of the 40 and 60 lines. The 40 is the best bang for the buck and very rich in tone. Can’t go wrong with either. Never tried the other SE acoustics. And I have no interest in the parlor from what I heard, but that’s nothing against PRS vs parlors overall.

I haven’t played every model, but I have played and owned my share of the post 2017 SE range, looking for the sweetest balance between tone, playability, aesthetics, and money. I ended up with a 2018 T60 and a 2018 A40 as my main squeezes. The former to record, the latter to play live.

I’m sure most of you know that the smart money in the traditional Martin line is the classic D28. You can spend more, but you don’t really get more from the fancier/pricier models. The more fiscally approachable D18 saves you a few hundred bucks, but would Blackbird or Mother Nature’s Son have sounded as warm and fuzzy if McCartney had played them with a brittle mahogany Martin? Of course not.

In my quest for the finest SE acoustics, I saw some with unacceptably ugly wood. The worst were X60 models with ziricote bodies. It’s a beautiful wood, but man that sapwood can be nasty looking to my old-school eyes. There’s a reason you never see sapwood used in classic acoustics: it was universally considered an unusable, flawed tonewood for hundreds of years. Guess what? It is still bloody junk wood suitable for roasting weenies and not much else, in my not so humble opinion.

All this is to say that the A40 is the sweet spot for the vast majority of semi-pro guitarists. It can do everything. It is unpretentious. You could write the best song of your life on it. You could win the mate you’ve always dreamed of with it. The T40 sounds richer and the T60 is noticeably warmer for recording and certainly is prettier than the T40, if that matters to you. I split the difference with my two choices. But if you can only buy one, choose the A40.

We all know that Mr Smith aims for consistency above all else and that he and his amazing crew achieve that goal damn near every time. But cheap ugly wood is cheap ugly wood; some of it passes SE standards and hangs in guitar stores. Some of you don’t care, but I do. Beauty matters.

You be the judge.

Back