Tell me about the 305

alphasports

I have a line on a nice 305 but can't play it....anyone have any love for these? Looks interesting, apparently the pups aren't too noisy. Kind of an early attempt at a Strat killer? Cheers

Great guitars. If you've played a 513, it'll feel similar. I love the pups. I'm not sure, but I think the early 503s had the same neck carve as the 513, which was the precursor to the Pattern neck (help me out, gang. Am I'm correct on that?).

Good luck!

Put in single coil mode (upper switch forward) the 513 is operating pretty much the same as a 305. Mine sounds great like that. Originally the 513s had the 513 neck carve, which is pretty much perfect for me. I’m not certain how different that is from the pattern neck carve.

If you’re into a nice single coil sound, more like the new Fenders than the really old ones, you’ll like it. If you’re looking for the older tones, I’d lean towards the Silver Sky.

I had one, I liked it but for live gigs if I switched from humbucker guitar to the 305 I had to do a lot of amp tweaking which I didn't like.

My situation is different now and I wish I had it back.

You can raise the bridge pickup and get the output higher and that would get levels closer to Humbucker guitars but then you get farther away from its intent.

While not for everybody I'm sure, playing in a cover band and trying out various tones/cabs/amps has been a super wakeup call.
I had no idea I'd like a Plexi, or an AC30, or a Friedman BE.
Amazing.
Same experience with the Axe Fx. A good modeler is hard to beat in some situations!

The SS will be hard to walk away from after playing it.

I found it pretty easy to walk away from after playing it,however I still occasionally look at 305’s thinking I could make one work for me, even though I wasn’t that in love with how they sounded.

I've tried a 305 once. The crafsmanship is at the level you'd think of a 'proper core model' - the body curve, the quatersawn rock maple neck, the 513 set-in neck joint, the core locking tuners, the hard case, etc.
Tone wise, it felt more 'meaty' than typical strats - less hollowness but more mid-scooping per say. It sounded a bit more toward rock music territory than vintage straty style to my ears.

I appreciated the core-level work of 305 and understand the way it distinctively sound. But if I were going to buy a straty PRS I'd look for either used Brent Mason or SS.

Back