Taping picks to headstock

Ruben Bernard

Ive got a performance upcoming and my shaky hands drop picks weekly so live is going to be terrifying. I want to stick some tape on my headstocks to tape a few spares up there, similar to Myles Kennedy. I'm probably just gonna get some double sided sellotape and call it a day, but wanted to get you guises thoughts if you have any suggestions as to whether I'm gonna be risking the finish. I have two SE tremontis, one is a gloss finish and one is satin. Should I be alright, or should I look for something else :|
Do you think sellotape is safe for the finish of the guitars?

Last edited:
Presumably the object is to grab another pick quickly?

I keep spare picks in my right hand pocket. I don't quite see why anyone would want to reach over to the other end of the guitar at the headstock, which is far from where you pick, or get it with the left hand, then switch it to the right hand...etc.

I used to have a tray that attached to a mic stand that also worked, but mostly just used a pocket.

I only wear jeans... All of my jean pockets are glued shut by the tension of the fabric stretched out by my bodaciously thiccc thighs, and I won't have a mic stand or anything to rest my picks on on stage unless. Plus I think the headstock look is sickkkkkkkk
Doesn't have to be on the headstock too, Zakk Wylde keeps his taped to the bottom of the body of his guitars. but I still would be afraid to ruin the finish without using something safe.

I only wear jeans... All of my jean pockets are glued shut by the tension of the fabric stretched out by my bodaciously thiccc thighs, and I won't have a mic stand or anything to rest my picks on on stage unless. Plus I think the headstock look is sickkkkkkkk
Doesn't have to be on the headstock too, Zakk Wylde keeps his taped to the bottom of the body of his guitars. but I still would be afraid to ruin the finish without using something safe.
I'd guess that most tape residue will come off quickly, unless the guitars are nitro, in which case all bets are off because who knows what will interact with it.

But I think the SEs are poly. I just wouldn't leave the tape on the guitar for long after the show.

you don't want the tape to be too sticky... the picks stay on real easy and if it's too sticky it's hard to get them off. or might peel off tape with them... some 3M paint masking tape rolled around to make it double-sided would do. I'd put the risk of that to the finish at very low. Especially if you remove it after the gig.

Couple other Ideas...

unfortunately this is discontinued:
Guitar Assassin Pick Holder Strip
s-l1600_79.jpg

Pick Holder
71eFXhlvpfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Eddie-Style tape strip:
eddie-van-halen-1549707670.jpg

Why not tape it to your strap instead? It's closer than the headstock to your strumming hand anyway.

Back