Talk to me about the CE 24

Depends on what you’re trading.

No experience (or desire) with the new CE’s but the old ones are favorites of mine.

Sweetwater CE new is ~$2000. Sweetwater CE used would be ~$1600. If yours is in that neighborhood, the deal works.

Value and Trading especially on used gear is very difficult to put a figure on the items. Used for example, can vary according to the condition and even the quantity of these on the market. At the end of the day, the value is still dependant on what one person is willing to pay. A store could price a Used Guitar at 95% of the cost of a new version of that model because that's the 'value' they see it as but unless a customer is willing to pay that, it will remain on their stock list. If the 'average' price is around 75% of the new, and they price it accordingly, it still will remain as stock if people don't feel that that guitar is worth that price.

As for trading one guitar for another, value can go out of the window. You both have guitars you don't want and looking to swap for a guitar you both desire. That guitar you want may well be worth the trade, even if the guitar you have is potentially worth 'more'. You obviously have no need of your guitar but the other may well be what you need and therefore has more value to you, more use to you.

All my guitars are worth more to me than their 'worth'. I would turn down an offer of the price I paid new on my guitars, something that wouldn't see me out of pocket and a price that I could buy a 'direct' replacement - it would cost someone 'more' than they could buy a new guitar for for me to consider selling - everything has a price so I probably wouldn't turn down a sizeable offer - more than someone could buy a new guitar for but the point is, everything has a value and, if trading or selling, the other person will have their valuation too. If you are willing to trade a guitar that has little use, little value to you for a guitar that has more value to you, even if your guitar could sell for higher that the guitar you are receiving, it doesn't matter. What matters is the value to you, what the other instrument offers or adds to your collection that your old one doesn't. I wouldn't trade my HBii for a PS 594 for example because I already have a 594 and the HBii adds more to my collection than a PS 594 would despite the financial value difference. I 'value' my HBii more because it offers me something none of my other guitars can.

We see this all the time in the forums with people asking if 'X' used guitar is really worth 'Y' price and the only one who can really answer is the person who is buying. Is it worth 'Y' price to them - if not, them bargain with the Person, offer 'Z' which is the amount of money you think its worth to you. If a Guitar is 'new' and in a shop, you can offer what you think the guitar is worth and the Shop can either accept your offer or decline. If they decline, you either pay what they ask for or leave, wait for a sale. There are people that don't think the 'big' difference in price a core is over the SE version is worth it, that is fair enough, they have in their mind decided that an SE is the better 'value' to them. The big price doesn't offer a big enough jump up for them. There are people who think that the sur-charge for a 10-top is worth paying for, for a higher rated visual upgrade where as others are happy to buy the non-10top as these are aesthetically pleasing enough and still play, sound etc the same. Everything has its value and different people can value the same instrument very differently - whether that's financially different or in a direct trade/swap in gear.

I don’t know why some people think of the CE24 as a lesser guitar than the CU24 because it has a bolt on neck.
In truth the CE is as good a guitar because the bolt on neck gives it an extra something that I find missing on the set neck of the Custom.
I love the sound of my 1989 alder bodied CE and favour it over the 1986 pre Standard. There’s an aggressive snap to the sound that’s hard to describe.

I don’t know why some people think of the CE24 as a lesser guitar than the CU24 because it has a bolt on neck.
In truth the CE is as good a guitar because the bolt on neck gives it an extra something that I find missing on the set neck of the Custom.
I love the sound of my 1989 alder bodied CE and favour it over the 1986 pre Standard. There’s an aggressive snap to the sound that’s hard to describe.

The modern CE is a budget core bolt on. It's got a thin top with a thin carve, and the neck angle is also different. It looks off hanging next to the core guitars. The neck is also a bunch of different pieces of wood. I preferred the original CE (like your 89) where it really was a Core with a bolt on.

I understand why they changed, doing a bold over a set neck really isn't saving much money, not enough to put it at the same price point as the current CEs are. The new CEs are a much less 'wasteful' use of timber.

This is not at all to say they play bad, or sound bad. It's just less of a 'premium' instrument. The Core range is basically at the point where you are paying 100% more for 20% nicer instrument.

PRS has a range of price points to suit just about any player, and that's totally awesome.

Okay I bought my 2016 CE24 used. It was actually a return to guitar center. I paid $1199 which was a really good price. But I see them listed all the time for $1200-$1400. That model is a limited ed version but the Satin finish was cheaper new so I would expect to pay $1200 for that max (probably under). But as Mozzi points out, these guitars are often worth more to the seller than the market prices so are routinely listed too high. And although the guitar listed for less than the regular CE24 with glossy finish when new, people will often try to sell them for more used citing that they are a limited edition.

I don't know what your guitar is worth but I would think if it's around this price range, it would be a good deal. If your's is worth more then $1500, I'd say list it for sale and when you sell it search reverb for another CE24.

I was greatly opposed to the new CE24. I had older examples of the CE24 and CE22. They were awesome guitars. The carve was much more like a Core carve. The guitars just look better. I would have NEVER gotten a new series CE.

That changed when they introduced the Semi Hollow for 2019. I had to have one. I got one, and I was VERY wrong about the guitar. It is killer. Yeah, everything that has been said is true. The top is thinner. The carve is TOTALLY different. It uses the S2 bridge but with the USA 85/15 pickups. However, it is just SOOOOOO comfortable to play. The top is even nicely flamed. It's a winner as far as I am concerned.

I was greatly opposed to the new CE24. I had older examples of the CE24 and CE22. They were awesome guitars. The carve was much more like a Core carve. The guitars just look better. I would have NEVER gotten a new series CE.

That changed when they introduced the Semi Hollow for 2019. I had to have one. I got one, and I was VERY wrong about the guitar. It is killer. Yeah, everything that has been said is true. The top is thinner. The carve is TOTALLY different. It uses the S2 bridge but with the USA 85/15 pickups. However, it is just SOOOOOO comfortable to play. The top is even nicely flamed. It's a winner as far as I am concerned.

Tell me about it.

Your top is thin, mine didn't even have the nail holes in it that I was promised! You can barely make out some nicks next to the volume knob.

rUGtnW4.jpg

Back