Switching to EL 34

Sounds very cool ,I can really hear the difference now a lot better between the 6l6 and 34s.

The 34 definetly makes the lows a lil softer and the amp have more of a modded British vibe

Do you find that the cleans are still good or if you tune to drop D for say something like the Shinedown Madness you still get that tight low end chug or are those things somewhat compromised ??

Thanks for the clips really much easier to hear the diff

The cleans are still plenty clean, just warmer, less glassy and more, well, British. As for the low end, while I don't do much down-tuning, I suspect it would stay plenty tight for drop D. Beyond that, it's hard to say.

Note that the Ruby EL34B-STRs are among the more modern-sounding EL34-type tubes, and as such they retain some of the extended lows and highs you'd expect from a 6L6. Something like a Svetlana or a Mullard would likely be softer on the bottom end, with a mellower top.

Nice! Great playing - sounds like the Archon works well with the EVH speakers as well. Those speakers have intrigued me a bit.

Thanks! The EVH is an outstanding cabinet. It doesn't have the low-end punch of a Recto or similar cab, but it has plenty enough for me. The sweeter mids and highs are also a plus.

Success! I ended up having to swap both 10A/250Vs for slow-blows, but that finally did the trick. I'm waiting to hear from PRS as to whether this a safe way to run the amp long term, but for now it's working and sounding great.

As for the resulting changes, they're about what you'd expect: less headroom, more compression, a smoother attack and a more pronounced midrange focus. As a primarily lead player with a Marshall (and Marshall-type) background, I'm really enjoying it so far. That said, the stock configuration is probably a better choice for gut-punching modern rhythms and crystalline ultra-clean tones.

Are the 10A Slow Blow fuses still working? I spoke with them today and they said to get 12A or 14A Slow Blow fuses. All I could find was 15A slow Blow fuses and they said that that was OK.

Are the 10A Slow Blow fuses still working? I spoke with them today and they said to get 12A or 14A Slow Blow fuses. All I could find was 15A slow Blow fuses and they said that that was OK.
Are you blowing fuses? I switched to EL34's and had no issues blowing any fuses.

Are you blowing fuses? I switched to EL34's and had no issues blowing any fuses.
Yeah I was blowing fuses. Matt at PRS suggested upping the value to 12 or 14 amps and going from fast blow to slow blow. I have 15Amp fuses in there since I couldn't find 12 or 14, and Matt said that 15A was good to go.

I've wondered how much this would change my Custom 50. Still want to try it. But that amp is getting better and better now that the V30s are finally breaking in. Still might replace one of them in the PRS cab though, because that amp has always sounded AWESOME with 2 1x12s with V30/Private Jack (greenback type).

Back