Sustain in Relation to String Gauge

cmmallinson

Okay, so what is there corelation between string gauge and sustain? My question stems from the sustain, or lack there of, from my 1990 Custom 24. I have a 2009 Custom 22 fixed bridge with 10s, and it sustains for days! My custom 24 isn't bad, it's just not on par, sustain wise, with my Custom 22. Is that because of the trem or the string gauge? I should note, I'm running 9s on my 24. Is changing string gauges a solution or maybe different saddles to account for the trem? Tonally, I prefer the 24. It's just the sustain that I'm not 100% satisfied with. And maybe, that's just to be expected with 24s. Any and all help us greatly appreciated!

Why not put a set of .010s on it (realizing the guitar isn't set up for them, but just to experiment) and see if there's any difference in how it sustains? Seems to me an experiment on your guitar will give you the most direct answer to your question on your guitar, without theorizing.

A floating tremolo's spring loading will absorb/affect the string's oscillations. A fixed bridge will transmit the string's oscillations more efficiently to the wood of the guitar, so a lot of folks believe that a fixed bridge is better for sustain.

Of course every guitar is different, and some guitars just sustain more than others.

Two more things to consider: pickup height can affect the string's vibrations by magnetically attracting the string, and if they're too high they can dampen the vibrations., so you might experiment with that.

In addition there are lots of tweaks and design differences between a 1990 CU24 and a 2009 CU22 that come into play and make direct comparisons even more difficult than simply concentrating on trems and bridges.

Last edited:
I use 8.5's on all of my PRS for feel and tone. If there is any difference in sustain between gauges I actually think lighter gauges might have of more sustain, at least to my ears. But I agree with Les, its a cheap enough experiment.

Billy Gibbons does not seem to have a sustain issue with a set of 8's....... :)

Everyone has different hands, and playing technique. Also, playing on very loud stages matters, as the volume creates feedback that tends to lengthen note sustain.

Comparing different players' results is tempting but ultimately only matters for the individual player.

Awesome ideas and perspective from everyone! Frankly, I was putting new strings on regardless. I just bought the guitar three weeks ago. It is set it up exceptionally well, but I've got no clue what strings it was set it up with. It actually came from a collector that never played it and stored it in its case since '90, only occasionally getting it out for cleaning and ensuring it was still in tip top shape. So I suppose the strings could be the strings it shipped from the factory with, if that level of preservation is even possible. The strings felt new, but they died pretty quickly. I suppose I'll pick up some D'Addario 8s and 10s in addition to experimenting with pickup height. Thanks for all the responses!

I think the strings matters in conjunction with the setup of the guitar. From personal experience I'm not convinced any any gauge strings yields greater sustain. I used to play 11s and dropped to 10s because there's a character to the tone I liked with 10s. I still have some guitars set with 11s and noticed no difference in sustain.

I do think as confirmed by others that there is a sustain issue with custom 24. . . Hmmm I should have worded that more carefully..

anyhow my custom 24s are extremely melodic and resonant but lacks sustain, perhaps of being so resonant.

i think muffling the trem springs help this sustain issue but it also changes the tone as well. Blocking your trem will also increase sustain but again at the expense of tone.

you can try getting a Mann bridge as that will help increase the sustain but again...different tone.

This is my thoughts on this after much research and speaking with many reknowned builders.

As a final note...

humbucker heights doesnt affect string string pull or sustain all that much unless it's a really strong magnet like neo.

any effects of sustain loss is due to the compression and feel of the guitar from the pickup being set too close. It sound like its choked because of what the pickup is picking up and not necessarily because the string has a tough time vibrating.

As a partocaster builder i have to say its the neck that is the problem.According to the PRS book they felt dissatisfied with the cu24 in the early nineties and made a guitar called the dragon with shorter(22 frets) stiffer neck and adding longer heel for mass.From that guitar custom 22 was born.Compare if u have a chance a newer cu24 and see if sustain is improved.Going back to partocasting you learn that neck is a big part of the sound.The sound goes with the neck so to speak.If you put the same neck on a different body the sound often comes with it.Guitarstrings is more volume and feel i would say.

Okay, so what is there corelation between string gauge and sustain? My question stems from the sustain, or lack there of, from my 1990 Custom 24. I have a 2009 Custom 22 fixed bridge with 10s, and it sustains for days! My custom 24 isn't bad, it's just not on par, sustain wise, with my Custom 22. Is that because of the trem or the string gauge? I should note, I'm running 9s on my 24. Is changing string gauges a solution or maybe different saddles to account for the trem? Tonally, I prefer the 24. It's just the sustain that I'm not 100% satisfied with. And maybe, that's just to be expected with 24s. Any and all help us greatly appreciated!

Great question here there are many things to look at #1 for me is PRS that have not been played seem stiff to me they get better with age/playtime ( IMHO ) check how many springs are on your trem on my SCT and extra spring added little something extra to an already great sounding guitar.
I have also found new strings make a bigger difference with my PRS that other guitars I own.
and last check you neck relief a bit of extra relief and add loads of sustain as the strings have more room to move.

Interesting read guys. Learn new things everyday.

My cu24 has beautiful resonating qualities and sustains for days. I really believe it's in technique and proper neck relief .

Okay, so I experimented with the pickup heights and I managed to change the character a bit, but no real solution to better sustain. I did however also adjust the saddles all 1/4 turn up in height. My action was crazy low. It didn't buzz, but I figured the string couldn't fully resonate being so very close to all the frets. We are talking maybe several thousands of an inch. So, with the crazy low action adjusted up maybe 30-40 thousands of an inch, I checked the intonation. It was still dead on. I played my guitar and was blown away at the difference! It actually sustains so beautifully now! I can even get a real good sustain on the 24th fret. In doing some research and thinking, I think I've discovered the true reason behind this. By increasing the action ever so slightly, I also increased the break angle of the strings at the saddles. This seats the strings much more firmly against the saddles and thus I attained better sustain. I think the reason for needing a greater break angle is the design of the early 90s saddles. They are very rounded. That is good when the strings are properly and firmly seated because there is more surface area contact between strings and saddles. However, when the string's end point of contact is just slightly tapered off as opposed to abruptly ended, the saddle really serves as buffer between the strings and bridge. In that situation, it just muffles vibrations. Seated firmly and properly with the greater break angle, much more vibration is transmitted from the strings through the saddles and to the bridge and body. So now, I'm going to look into some the other things you all have suggested. Maybe adding another spring to lock the trem down more. I'm certainly in need of changing the strings asap. Who knows? I'm just happy I've gotten it right now. I guess I'm just greedy for sustain. I mean, it's great now, but if I could get more, why not? Instead of matching my CU22, maybe I can beat it. We shall see. Thanks all!

I really believe it's in technique and proper neck relief .
+1
This is where I stand. There are spots on every one of my guitars that sustain worse than others. The work-around is in vibrato technique...shake the daylights out of it! (Honestly, that's probably how those spot got there in the first place)Then take it to your luthier to have those spots recrowned or massaged out.

Being a a very heavy-handed guitarist playing 11s across the board - EB Cobalts, too, no less - I know I'm very hard on the frets. There's pitting in my SE One, completely burned out frets on my FrankenStrat, and the DGT will need dressing in the Spring. You just have to face the fact that playability is based upon wear items that you have to maintain. Goes with the territory.

Another thing...due to how hard I pick, I have to give the strings a lot more room to move, so my action is pretty high. Over and over again, guitar buddies pick up my guitars and say, "you like this??!!". The keyword is playability. Form the instrument around your playing. There's no right or wrong. If it makes you sound better, then it's right for you.

Take the guitar to a talented luthier and have this conversation with them, with the guitar in hand. They can demonstrate options on the fly.

Last edited:
Back