Suggestions for pickups similar to 58/15 LT+

frogger42

Yesterday, I bought my first PRS guitar. It should be here next week and I am very excited. I got a Whale Blue S2 McCarty 594 Singlecut. I watched a ridiculous number of YT vids before making the purchase and the one that finally sold me was the one by Phillip McKnight where he compared the new S2 to his Core 594. He stated if he could upgrade the pickups and tuners in the S2, he'd prefer it over the more expensive Core. That is my plan. I have already picked out a set of locking tuners, but I'm struggling with the pickups. My first choice would be to buy a set of PRS 58/15 LT+, but they don't sell those and when they pop up on Reverb, they are very expensive. Can anyone tell me what aftermarket pickups they think would be the closest match? Right now, my leading contender is Lollar Imperial Low Wind Humbuckers, but I wanted to see what other suggestions I could get. Thanks in advance

I’d see how you like the stock pickups, first. I don’t put much stock in YT guitar reviews. Especially when the person doesn’t own the instrument and play it for an extended time. PM makes his money doing churn reviews on loaners sent to him for brief reviews.

I’d see how you like the stock pickups, first. I don’t put much stock in YT guitar reviews. Especially when the person doesn’t own the instrument and play it for an extended time. PM makes his money doing churn reviews on loaners sent to him for brief reviews.
That make sense. I won't be upgrading the picksups immediately. I have to let my checking account recover from the guitar purchase first, so that will give me time to make sure I even want to change them.

try looking at sheptone, very nice pickups for around $140. Also Porter are very nice at about the same price. The next guitar I build I'm putting Monty's Humbuckers into it, phenomenal sound.

Play the crap out of your new prs before changing p/u. You might just live the set it comes with. Play on different amps. There’s a lot of other options for tone.

I loved Throbak Peter Green’s (pg102, I think) in mine. Kinda pricey. For less, I REALLY liked Klein Epic 59s.

And don’t forget to try raising and lowering the pickups if you don’t like the way they sound. PRS pickups are VERY sensitive to height adjustment.

Last edited:
Back