Suggestions for a "beginner" amp needed

Another terrific beginner amp would be an Ibanez TSA15, 1x12 combo. Can be found new for around 450, and very lightweight. With 2 6V6 output tubes, a Celestion speaker, 15/5 watt selection, a clean boost, and built in tube screamer, this little amp can really rock. The cranked cleans are classic 6V6, Deluxe-ish sound. The boost and tube screamer can easily push it over the edge into some great bluesy overdrive, with excellent controllable feedback.

Well, this is sort of in the wrong subforum (perhaps more accurately placed in the Amps subforum), but I'll chime in regardless:

I started out playing a cheap guitar that happened to be set up pretty good, into lousy (I mean super lousy) amps, because I didn't understand that a good tube amp would make a world of difference. The 80s was not a good decade to buy small cheap SS amps. "Oh, it will be good enough for me. I can't play all that well anyway. It doesn't need to be very loud. The other guitarists I know get great tone because of their talent, not equipment. I can't afford a Marshall stack, and everything else is a compromise, right?"

Eventually I figured out that I should spend at least a bit of cash on a good amp, and bought a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, because it was the only tube amp under $1000 in my local shops that sounded good, with a really nice clean channel. And the dirty channel was classic Neil Young dirt, to my ears.

I played that for maybe two decades before I decided that I needed a PRS amp to go with my PRS guitars, and I picked up a 100W Archon head + cab. Whoa baby!

So...moral of my story is spend a bit more than you think you should if it gets you to that "next level" of amp. I wish I had. Shoulda woulda coulda...

That being said, the Katana is something that has been on my radar as a good all-round amp, and if I needed to pick up an all-in-one modeling-with-tons-of-effects amp I think I would grab that.

I don't need a modeling amp, and I have a bajillion pedals.

If you truly want a Fender-ish tube amp, the Sonzera sounds like a nice choice in the PRS line up.
Did you happen to try out the Archon 50? I don't have anywhere near $1000.

Back